Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah, how much do you have to "educate" a person before they realise that throwing away their meds will result in them never getting better?

You cant teach common sense.

Aside from that, I believe basic TB eduction is done at these clinics prior to the beginning of the AB course, so these people have already heard how long the course will be, how strictly they have to adhere to their medication regime and , of course, the consequences if they don't.

RiaX can correct me if I am wrong there. It's not like they just give you all your pills and send you off into the unknown...

I can empathise with a TB sufferer. A colleague and friend of mine once contracted pneumonial TB after a stint in hospital caused by ruptured ulcers. I know what he went thru to get better. It was a long road, but not a difficult one.

I feel nothing for a TB sufferer who is given the means to recover but throws it away due to their own wilful ignorance.

Worse than that - the TB sufferer who starts a course of AB then says fark it and quits halfway, allowing the virus to recover in his body, now with a resistance to the drug. This moran then goes out and infects other people with his resistant strain of TB and makes lie difficult for all of us. Screw those people.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

We educate them when they enter the hospital. The nurses educate them when they come for basic check ups, the doctors educate them everytime they seen. Blood levels are done on a monthly basis and they are asked how they are coping. Pharmacy educates them everytime they collect medication, we are ordered to educated them every month even if its their 9th month.

Same goes with ARVs. If they miss a month (default) they have to attend a councelling session
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/05/visu ... lightning/
Sandia National Laboratories' Z machine sounds like it belongs in a James Bond movie more than it does an Alberquerque research facility. Based on what it can do, that's not as far-fetched as it seems. What you see isn't the handiwork of some electric spider -- it's what you witness in the immediate fraction of a second after the Z's electromagnetic pulse kicks in and forks of lightning burst across the 108-foot distance inside. The pulse in question is key to Sandia's studies of fusion and the effect of very intense magnetic pressures on materials that normally refuse to change states. Even in 2006, the Z was putting out pressure more than 10 million times that of the atmosphere, and it successfully melted diamond at roughly half that strength. It goes without saying that we don't want to be anywhere near this kind of energy when scientists flick the switch, but we're glad to see that something so pretty and deadly can help us understand physics.

[Image credit: Randy Montoya, Sandia National Laboratories]
Follow the link for the image, looks pretty cool :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

In regards to the previous topic can't we just replace those patients’ drugs with KCN the result is the same and it gives the bacteria less time to build up resistance? It is also much less draining on the taxpayers :dontknow:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

CapNemo wrote:In regards to the previous topic can't we just replace those patients’ drugs with KCN the result is the same and it gives the bacteria less time to build up resistance? It is also much less draining on the taxpayers :dontknow:
Better to pay them for medical test subjects but that silly ethics thing gets in the way
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Doesn't it always
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

yes it does i've had headaches doing research where the damage is already done, I had to apply for ethical clearence like its necessary for a review of drug toxicity :/ damage is done too bad ethics doesnt matter now. All it did was impede my research
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

geopathology wrote:The study of the sources of such disturbances, natural and man-made, is called Geopathology.

Whether you are a health practitioner, medical professional, educator or concerned individual, this site is designed for you. You will find foundational information about the causes of energetic disturbances and their effect on our body. A person might be sleeping over a draining earth energy grid, or being surrounded by electronics at their workplace exposing them constantly to high levels of EMFs, and possibly leading to exhaustion and over time to chronic health problems.
<there has got to be an upper limit to the amount of woo humanity can tolerate before the galactic brotherhood nukes us out of existence... >
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Like dowsing isn't bad enough on its own, you get people that dowse for bad energy and the like. Watched a documentary about it a while back. This stuff makes for a unique emotion, which is a combination of deep sadness, fury, exasperation, contempt, don't know what else.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Start selling tinfoil people I smell a business opportunity
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

This is just further proof of the theorem demonstrated below

RiaX

Post by RiaX »

I have a very unethical way of making money, providing better research, and it only hurts people we dont care about lol....

We need to face the reality, resources are not infinite. Prisoners of this calibur did not respect the law but now that they have been caught and tried they expect the law to protect them. Do you know the food, water, housekeeping require energy. Energy is not limitless and its costly. They require petrol to transport things to them - look at the petrol price hiking up. Not to mention the medical treatment, almost 90% of them are HIV positive, do you know how much HAART costs per person per month? there is also a TB epidemic in prison, when I worked in the TB hospital (the main hospital for the region) I was ordered to serve the prisoners first, and if the drugs were out of stock the general public recieved "sorry its out of stock come back next month" .... these are people with MDR/XDR TB , one month without medicine is almost signing their death certificate. The cost for a single XDR-TB patient per month is approximately R220 000 (includ cost of medical labour not just the drugs alone), might have changed that stat was from 2009 though when I did a talk on XDR TB, though I doubt it changed since no new generics have come out. With the release of these new drugs looming, that figure is bound to go up because its the ethical duty to treat them, and the pharmaceutical company isnt going to give it for free they want a profit which they deserve. Some how this ethical high road is conviently ommited when talks of science proceed its segregatted and ignored and we pretend it does not exist. Then people make cut backs on the general law obiding public.... I feel like im going insane. Who do you think pays for this ? you and me, society pays for their well being with physical money so they must repay that debt with an equal valued act not just sit in a cell. If you see the slips going to the prison you would cry, R5 million rand worth of medication was sent, for a single prison for ONE month... For ONE of the 14 drugs used for MDR/XDR TB.

Now im not saying it must be done to minor offenders, but for offenders that have no chance of regaining a life. People with 10 life sentences. Whats the point of 10 life sentences, its childish the guy knows he only can live one life, its like infinity + 1 - simply ludicrous. These are desperate times, and drastic changes must be made to accomodate for this.

Drug companies are looking to test new agents for HIV and TB but they cant get clearance to test on human subjects nor can they control the test subjects intake of foods and form a standardised living conditions.... well THE PRISON is perfect for trials.

so prisioners with long sentences to life can apply to participate and we charge the drugs companies money to conduct tests on them :D

(was talking about drugs on another forum when this some how came up)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

China has already thought of this business model and have successfully implemented it.

also, why just let pharmaceutical companies benefit from a free stream of human test subjects?
I'm a huge fan of quality testing power tools on the genitals of rapists and molesters
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

jamin_za wrote:China has already thought of this business model and have successfully implemented it.

also, why just let pharmaceutical companies benefit from a free stream of human test subjects?
I'm a huge fan of quality testing power tools on the genitals of rapists and molesters
+10000000 Oh I so concur. Much better to use humans than animals. And we have so many suitable candidates in our beautiful country.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

damnit ....
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

You weren't expecting us to agree with you?
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

no china stole my idea :( ..
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I get the feeling that "your idea" has been stolen by many more people than the Chinese - and many many years ago too. Though it was often slaves that were used and not merely prisoners.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

yeah but still lol
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

bbz wrote:A painkiller as powerful as morphine, but without most of the side-effects, has been found in the deadly venom of the black mamba, say French scientists.
<..>
Dr Eric Lingueglia, from the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology near Nice, told the BBC: "When it was tested in mice, the analgesia was as strong as morphine, but you don't have most of the side-effects."
the puzzling question is... why would the mamba produce an analgesic*? or this is merely some coincidental side-effect unique to rodent physiology...

*i realise that this statement is horribly misleading as it denotes intention but...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Maybe when the snake ingests his catch, he benefits from an analgesic effect somehow, an unusual instance of an exocrine system? Who knows.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

pity the paper's pay-walled but when this popped up i pictured some surly mamba accosting a dassie:
  • [m] Boo! You're IT!

[d] Ow! Why would you do that?

[m] I'm a notoriously bad tempered killer of everything small and squeaky.

[d] I can't feel my legs. Is this appropriate social behaviour? Have you considered therapy?

[m] Soon I'll consume you alive! But first - I'm going to shut down your pain receptors because being swallowed whole would suck otherwise.

if it were some manner of pre-emptive digestive aid it would make sense as not all of the mamba's prey is mammalian.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well if I am ever bitten by a mamba - at least I may not feel it when I die
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

you will notice that you're immobile and suffocating... :twisted:

mamba venom contains a powerful muscle relaxant along with the neurotoxins and various other hobgoblins so COD is primarily suffocation...

or cardiac arrest...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I guess that either way - the pain would be the least of my worries