The Banana Republic thread

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: The Banana Republic thread

Post by Ron2K »

Temp-locking thread to redirect the current Julius Malema conversation to his own thread. Will unlock later today, don't worry. ;)

EDIT: You know what, I'll try and see if I can transfer the posts across threads. Hang tight, folks...

EDIT2: Woohoo! Unlocking again.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ok, I don't know if this is the right thread, and I didn't want to start a new one. I found this interesting
Fast Facts & Quick Stats About South Africa
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Wahaha a REPO rate of 5.5% they must be joking.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
ADT

Post by ADT »

South African Tax Revenue has increased from R100 billion in 1994 to R640 billion in 2010.
Well that's nice to know, more money for the corrupt government to spend on themselves
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

No what bugs me about that is that with that increase our infrastructere have gone down hill all the way and some just went to hell in a handbasket :?
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

OMW... i can't believe that i have never seen this thread before.....can someone give me a fail for that

I always read about these stories and think omw we live in a **** country. :evil:

At least now i know i a not the only one that feels this way. :lol:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

It's like a zoo in there. I thought when your in there you should be professional in your duties?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Prime

Post by Prime »

StarBound wrote:

It's like a zoo in there. I thought when your in there you should be professional in your duties?
Professional? When are our politicians every professional? The only thing they are good at is wiping their bums with the money they steal! :|

Oh, and raping our democracy!

Mr Zuma, your semen is not a substitute for Tipex... :evil:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Prime wrote:Mr Zuma, your semen is not a substitute for Tipex...
You don't know that for a fact

/Love this thread a LOT more now that I'm no longer there :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

We know the country is going for a loop when even the Mail & Guardian has trouble spelling the names of well known despots and dictators...
Article relates to the Lockerbie bomber that is finally (now that Muammar Gaddafi is dead and it looked like Libya might actually send him back to the UK), 'living up' to the prediction that he had 3 months to live.

Said prediction was made in 2009... :roll:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

A suspected shoplifter was beaten to death in Polokwane after he allegedly stole sweets from a shop, Limpopo police said on Thursday.

Lieutenant-Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe said the man was caught by a mob as he tried to flee the shop.

“It is believed the mob used different objects to beat the man to death.”

Ngoepe said the man was declared dead on the scene by paramedics.

“We are very worried about the trend of people resorting to taking (the) law into their (own) hands.”

Ngoepe warned that those involved would be prosecuted.

Police were investigating a murder case. – Sapa
Source
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I hear that Helen Zille was almost thrown out of a National Council of Provinces meeting for using "Unparliamentary Language"

The offensive term in question was "nonsense".

She would have been better off taking a nap, I think.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Wow. They are getting petty.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

The news report did not give the context in which in which it was said. I guess that telling someone that they are speaking nonsense, or that a given idea is nonsense may have hurt their feelings, "undermined their dignity", or been seen as disrespectful.

I wonder whether there is a book of proscribed parliamentary language?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
senile

Post by senile »

I am furious about the street name changes in Pretoria. That is all.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Polit ... d-20120614
SA's 'Westernised' calendar questioned
2012-06-14 22:51

Bloemfontein - South Africa’s "Westernised" calendar does not please everyone, the Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities (CRL) heard on Thursday.

"We cannot as Africans live [according to] a Westernised calendar. We must get our own, such as the Chinese, who have their own," a member of the public told a CRL hearing in Bloemfontein.

The meeting was to hear input on the revision of public holidays in South Africa.

The CRL commission would sit in Bethlehem on Friday.

Representatives of various religions and cultural communities attended the workshop at the Bram Fischer building in Bloemfontein.

Delegates said the Christmas and New Year public holidays only benefited Christians, and had been written into law through the Public Holidays Act.

"They [Christians] stay at home and relax. They do not lose money," said a delegate.

The commission heard that followers of other religions had to take leave for their own religious holidays.

Members of the Basotho, Khoi-Khoi and Khoi-San said they would also like to have national days on South Africa's calendar.

CRL chief executive officer Pheagane Moreroa said many delegates were not comfortable with a calendar being imposed on them. He said the idea was not to have 365 public holidays for the country.

"We cannot allow that everything becomes a public holiday, because we would never work, but this is about minority rights and their rights must be protected."

Moreroa said the commission was trying to help minority religious groups.

"Remember we are trying to build a nation, we are trying to create social coherence and we are trying to create peace."

Moreroa sought to assure the gathering that the commission was looking for results, so the rights of minority religious groups could be recognised.

- SAPA
Hmmm.... Now how do I go about signing up for every religion & culture? :P

Seriously though, the comment about ""They [Christians] stay at home and relax. They do not lose money," said a delegate." does this idiot not realize that everyone who is not a Christian also gets those days off? :? I really want to know which group said this because I bet you right now this waste of air also enjoys the benefits... :roll:

Proudly not a Christian and enjoying the holiday benefits... :P However I will support any group that can squeeze in a holiday period from September to November :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I think what he meant was that, arguments sake, you're a muslim- then you have to take personal leave for your religious holidays. It's not the people from other religions don't benefit from Christian public holidays- they do. But there is no benefit for them from their own religious days. He just spoke like a complete retard.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

The Banana Republic thread

Post by Monty »

Best solution: get rid of every single religion/culture affiliated public holiday.

Then give everyone a lump sum of days (10 works well, its the current number of public holidays we have iirc) they can take off for religious/cultural purposes and let them pick which days they want to take off.

Another solution: just take away all the religious/cultural holidays and tell the nation "seeing as you are acting like a bunch of spoilt princesses, we're taking them away permanently."
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Monty wrote:Another solution: just take away all the religious/cultural holidays and tell the nation "seeing as you are acting like a bunch of spoilt princesses, we're taking them away permanently."
Violent riots ensue.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yes, yes - let the butthurt flow thru you.

Muslims tried this in Aus a few years back for Ramadan.
The general consensus was that employers cannot refuse you annual leave for your religious holidays, but Australia's holidays are part of their history and heritage. It's no longer about religion, it' about history and tradition.

Not the official line from the government, but the general sentiment at the time was if you want Ramadan off go back to the middle east - you came here knowing full well when our public holidays are.

I know that wont wash in SA, but there are less than 100000 Khoisan in SA.
I'd be telling them to get farked if they wanted their own holiday.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Anakha56 wrote:http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Polit ... d-20120614
SA's 'Westernised' calendar questioned
2012-06-14 22:51

Bloemfontein - South Africa’s "Westernised" calendar does not please everyone, the Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities (CRL) heard on Thursday.

"We cannot as Africans live [according to] a Westernised calendar. We must get our own, such as the Chinese, who have their own," a member of the public told a CRL hearing in Bloemfontein.

The meeting was to hear input on the revision of public holidays in South Africa.

The CRL commission would sit in Bethlehem on Friday.

Representatives of various religions and cultural communities attended the workshop at the Bram Fischer building in Bloemfontein.

Delegates said the Christmas and New Year public holidays only benefited Christians, and had been written into law through the Public Holidays Act.

"They [Christians] stay at home and relax. They do not lose money," said a delegate.

The commission heard that followers of other religions had to take leave for their own religious holidays.

Members of the Basotho, Khoi-Khoi and Khoi-San said they would also like to have national days on South Africa's calendar.

CRL chief executive officer Pheagane Moreroa said many delegates were not comfortable with a calendar being imposed on them. He said the idea was not to have 365 public holidays for the country.

"We cannot allow that everything becomes a public holiday, because we would never work, but this is about minority rights and their rights must be protected."

Moreroa said the commission was trying to help minority religious groups.

"Remember we are trying to build a nation, we are trying to create social coherence and we are trying to create peace."

Moreroa sought to assure the gathering that the commission was looking for results, so the rights of minority religious groups could be recognised.

- SAPA
Hmmm.... Now how do I go about signing up for every religion & culture? :P

Seriously though, the comment about ""They [Christians] stay at home and relax. They do not lose money," said a delegate." does this idiot not realize that everyone who is not a Christian also gets those days off? :? I really want to know which group said this because I bet you right now this waste of air also enjoys the benefits... :roll:

Proudly not a Christian and enjoying the holiday benefits... :P However I will support any group that can squeeze in a holiday period from September to November :P.
Yeah heard about this BS this morning, LOL welcome to the banana republic indeed :P
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

jamin_za wrote:Yes, yes - let the butthurt flow thru you.

Muslims tried this in Aus a few years back for Ramadan.
The general consensus was that employers cannot refuse you annual leave for your religious holidays, but Australia's holidays are part of their history and heritage. It's no longer about religion, it' about history and tradition.

Not the official line from the government, but the general sentiment at the time was if you want Ramadan off go back to the middle east - you came here knowing full well when our public holidays are.

I know that wont wash in SA, but there are less than 100000 Khoisan in SA.
I'd be telling them to get farked if they wanted their own holiday.
meh who cares about down under :P
Spoiler (show)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah, disregard what the last remaining truly first-world country does. No lessons to learn from them.

Over in SA you know how to do things properly. That's why SA is a shining beacon to the rest of the world, as evidenced by this thread :P
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

jamin_za wrote:Yeah, disregard what the last remaining truly first-world country does. No lessons to learn from them.

Over in SA you know how to do things properly. That's why SA is a shining beacon to the rest of the world, as evidenced by this thread :P

What happens to an Australian when he sees a sheepskin?

He gets a hard-on.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I don't get it