SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SykomantiS

Re: SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)

Post by SykomantiS »

Ron2K wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 07:18 Our last active case is now recovered, and given that no new cases have been reported in the past 17 days, we may well have eradicated COVID-19 entirely.

We're now moving to Level 1 at midnight, so life returns to something close to what pre-virus normal was: no more social distancing measures or restrictions on mass gatherings. The border remains closed to all but NZ citizens and residents, and contact tracing measures remain, as there remains a high risk that the virus could return through international travel.
Good news indeed for you guys. The circus here on our side don't know their asses from their elbows, unfortunately. I'm sure you heard the high court declared our level 3 & 4 levels unconstitutional (for the most part - there were like 4 regulations that made sense according to the judge).
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

My son's school opened up for those matric students that wished to go back to school at the beginning of June. I chose not to send him - he is doing really well working from home and online. We were just notified that his Geography teacher has tested positive. And all his friends were in her class on Friday.

So glad I played it safe - even with all their safety protocols.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

And so ends NZ’s clear run, and why it’s illogical to chase a zero infection rate. You’ll have to keep borders closed indefinitely to “completely eradicate Covid-19”.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/tw ... 55363.html
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm currently in day 8 of a 14 day self-isolation here.
My father-in-law was sick and we went to go see him in another state.
That state (Victoria) doesn't have any restrictions any more, but for my home state (Western Australia), if you travel out of state you have to self isolate for 14 days when you get back
They actually do send cops to check up on you and you get up to a $25000 fine or a year in criminal isolation if you dont :D

Funny thing about it is we can self-isolate at home with the kids and they can still go to school etc. We just cant leave the house...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ryanrich wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 10:42 And so ends NZ’s clear run, and why it’s illogical to chase a zero infection rate. You’ll have to keep borders closed indefinitely to “completely eradicate Covid-19”.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/tw ... 55363.html
That really sux.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

hamin_aus wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:34 I'm currently in day 8 of a 14 day self-isolation here.
My father-in-law was sick and we went to go see him in another state.
That state (Victoria) doesn't have any restrictions any more, but for my home state (Western Australia), if you travel out of state you have to self isolate for 14 days when you get back
They actually do send cops to check up on you and you get up to a $25000 fine or a year in criminal isolation if you dont :D

Funny thing about it is we can self-isolate at home with the kids and they can still go to school etc. We just cant leave the house...
Lol so they think kids cannot be infected by you ? :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

The assumption isn't that you are infected, they just want to keep you localized for a while on the off chance you are.
They are big on tracking interactions between people here.
As an example - I went for a haircut early last week and had to write my name and contact number down in case someone else who had a haircut was infected and they needed to trace who else was there close to the time
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

hamin_aus wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 10:52 The assumption isn't that you are infected, they just want to keep you localized for a while on the off chance you are.
They are big on tracking interactions between people here.
As an example - I went for a haircut early last week and had to write my name and contact number down in case someone else who had a haircut was infected and they needed to trace who else was there close to the time
That is sensible. It is happening here if you go to Doctor's rooms or hospitals. You have to sign a declaration that you are feeling fine - have your temp taken and state what sort of contact you have had with other people.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Melbourne will re-enter lockdown for six weeks amidst 'unsustainably high numbers of new cases'
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia ... -new-cases

I'll message Prime, see if he's doing OK -- will post back when I hear from him.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Reply: "yes, I'm fine, just annoyed". Don't blame him.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Perhaps I should message him more
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ron2K wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:34 Melbourne will re-enter lockdown for six weeks amidst 'unsustainably high numbers of new cases'

I'll message Prime, see if he's doing OK -- will post back when I hear from him.
lol Prime is fine, I chat to him all the time on FB. Victoria is bad yeah, in AUS standards, but good by RSA standards which is now 10,000 new cases a day on testing and probably double that if we take non-testing into account.

Here in South Australia we're still on zero cases and we have closed borders to Victoria to all but residents of South Australia. Things here are more or less back to normal. Job well done I'd say!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

WA is the same, I think 3 cases this month so far from overseas returners - but no second wave
Life is returning to normal
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ryanrich wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 06:49
Ron2K wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:34 Melbourne will re-enter lockdown for six weeks amidst 'unsustainably high numbers of new cases'

lol Prime is fine, I chat to him all the time on FB. Victoria is bad yeah, in AUS standards, but good by RSA standards which is now 10,000 new cases a day on testing and probably double that if we take non-testing into account.

Here in South Australia we're still on zero cases and we have closed borders to Victoria to all but residents of South Australia. Things here are more or less back to normal. Job well done I'd say!
Yes - I hope we end up one day being able to say job well done too. Not so confident though
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'm watching the news on the local council (it's not a city FFS, it's a **** collection of Hamlet's populated by Karen's) Casey since they have the potential to stuff it up for the rest of us in other council areas. A bunch of cockwomblers broke the social distancing and 5km rules and 34 cases are currently linked to it.

The social bubbles rule is in place but you're still ****ed if your mates aren't single.

The attitude from the DHHS is that their partner should bugger off for two hours (and do what exactly?) It's a 1600 AUD fine for all parties involved in breaching the rules.

And it's not like if you infected one person in the house, their partner wouldn't pick it up.

I'm far less confident than my mates that they'll resolve this in a timely manner. And the outbreaks in Casey are likely to wind up nixxing this bubble idea.

And now we've got flash mob protestors to act as vectors.

/Rant
Prime

Post by Prime »