Game of the Decade

Blast from the past! Tell us about all those old classics that you grew up with.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Re: Game of the Decade

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

-Prometheus- wrote:@Siemens: For me to give my vote to any movie title it has to be one hell of a game. The last movie game I played was Power Rangers. Since then I've been completely disinterested as it seems like they are just milking the title without putting much into the game to make it great. LOTR may be great but it just looks like another repackaged Dark Reign/Warcraft without much originality.

In the end I think the game most played will get the most votes and not the best game.
Then you clearly haven't played the games yet. =) LOTR BFME was VERY innovative for an RTS at the time.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-l ... ddle-earth

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-l ... e-earth-ii

Both had an average of more than 80 and that is saying a lot for a movie based game.
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

1. Stronghold (first game that really got me hooked to RTS)
2. Half Life 2 (Revolutionary, and when I bought it, it came with CS:S which is pretty sweet)
3. Unreal Tournament 04 (Great laning memories)
4. Warcraft 3
5. Plants vs Zombies :)
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

It seems like there are going to be a lot of ties. Can I suggest that in the case of a tie that the game which had the the higher metacritic rating gets preference?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Now that RRF is an admin he going to ensure WoW wins any game of the XXX awards :P
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

My top 5 votes:

1. World of Warcraft - no matter if you love or hate it, the game broke just about every conceivable record
2. Deus Ex - the vanilla original release
3. Unreal Tournament 2004 - the lanning candy of this game made it epic
4. Starcraft - original first release, revolutionised RTS for lans
5. Call of Duty series
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

sooo... siemens
Do you intend to update the first post with standings soon?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Sojourn wrote:1. World of Warcraft - no matter if you love or hate it, the game broke just about every conceivable record
Agreed, unfortunately...
Sojourn wrote:4. Starcraft - original first release, revolutionised RTS for lans
Not from the last decade, or it would have been my #1 choice - 1998
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jamin_za wrote:
Sojourn wrote:4. Starcraft - original first release, revolutionised RTS for lans
Not from the last decade, or it would have been my #1 choice - 1998
Holy crapper dude, is it THAT long already?
I actually played through the whole original series to get up-to-date with the storyline, in anticipation of the new release.
It does not feel like more than a decade ago... frankly that should be enough to have it included.

In fact, if other people can squeeze past to get Diablo III included, then this should pass based on longevity.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yep, we are getting old
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:Go play F.E.A.R. again, because if it's the scares you remember you must only have been semi-conscious while playing the game. Horror. Was. Not. The. Freaking. Point.
So the point of a game called FEAR is not about being scared? :?

My votes (not in order):
1. Deus Ex
2. WoW
4. Doom 3
5. Tekken 4
6. God of War
7. Final Fantasy 8
8. CoD (1st one because it started it all, but I have enjoyed all of them except World at War)

My votes go to games that have held my attention for more than the first couple of levels, and in which I was more than a little immersed.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

GreyWolf wrote:So the point of a game called FEAR is not about being scared? :?
That was of course Monolith's intention, but they failed horribly if you ask me. The spooky bits created great atmosphere, but it was the combat set your pulse racing. There were two excellent bits involving Alma popping up when you least expected her, but Jack-in-the-box scares are so utterly lame (I'm looking at you especially, iD Software :roll: ). The last level of FEAR was scary enough I guess.

Go play one of the earlier Silent Hill games and then see if you think FEAR's horror can compare. It just doesn't.

I would most certainly have voted for FF8... if it had been released this decade. :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Oi another game I had fond memories of which should at least get a honorable mention not really decade game material......

King Pin....woot! woot!
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I'm busy with FEAR Perseus Mandate expansion and there was one scene that made me poop bricks. someone leads you behind a corner then theres no one there then when you turn around he is in your face.

And no a 1998 game wont be counted sorry. You can make that game of the previous decade
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote: 5. Tekken 4
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

jamin_za wrote:
You're right. Tekken 3 is the king, unfortunately it came out in the 90's. My bad.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

GreyWolf wrote:
jamin_za wrote:
You're right. Tekken 3 is the king, unfortunately it came out in the 90's. My bad.
+10
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote:
jamin_za wrote:
:lol: Well played.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Monolith does get some credit, for fear it is their first somebody game, every thing before fear was C rated....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

-Prometheus- wrote:I don't think they failed. The point was not to make it more "fear"ful but rather different. Without giving too much away, after a while you would expect nothing to happen and then it does. There were other scarier games which I haven't played through yet for that reason (don't laugh) but FEAR was more unexpected and setting the atmosphere and not up in your face.
Okay sure, I could imagine experiencing the game your way. Perhaps I've just been desensitized, we both agree it's a great game.

And no worries, Silent Hill has sent braver men running to their mommies. :lol:

@Wiz - True. How were their previous games in any case?

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

D3PART3D wrote:And no worries, Silent Hill has sent braver men running to their mommies. :lol:
Had to replace 2 PS remotes thanx to that game... Both cords stayed in the machine and the remotes ended up in the hall with me :oops:

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

fallen_angel wrote:Had to replace 2 PS remotes thanx to that game... Both cords stayed in the machine and the remotes ended up in the hall with me :oops:
:lol:

- Elon Musk