Game of the Decade

Blast from the past! Tell us about all those old classics that you grew up with.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Re: Game of the Decade

Post by Siemens »

wizardofid wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:Half-Life 2.
Well I did consider it, but there is nothing in particular that makes it awesome,the facial animation was super awesome, and one of the first games to make proper use of the technology, graphical okayish... story telling being vague and the sound track annoying at times.

What ruined every thing was the long delays...gamers expected some thing amazing in the graphics department but was sorely disappointed and the fact that there was levels that were excluded from the retail game....in one particular video fighting against a alien creature of sorts like the in the first one.

It also moved away from the pull A to open B to open C to get to D, instead decided use get to B to open A... the first HL FPS design is what made it great, it was used to a lesser extent in the HL2....I actually found the side scroller codename Freeman more enjoyable that came with the collectors edition.

But any ways the FPS genre was in general a let down, the last 10 years seemed to be more of a third person, RTS, and mini games like popcap games which were insanely fun.

Lets not forget the nokia's 5110 game snake....which I remember correctly I could spend endless hours playing...... :P :wink:
For once(eek) I agree with wizardofid. Even though half life 2 was epic after finishing it I was relieved it was over and never wanted to play it again. So I guess I didn't see it as fun enough.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

For once(eek) I agree with wizardofid. Even though half life 2 was epic after finishing it I was relieved it was over and never wanted to play it again. So I guess I didn't see it as fun enough.
You make it sound like a bad thing,

Look the game it self wasn't epic nor was is bad, the game play in certain areas that were used to try and tell a story were long and annoying, like the first time you get to use the gravity gun.

I still remember taking a paint can and painting a wall white and throwing stuff at dog and the lovely lass of course emptying a clip or two....just to get the scene over.
EP1 and EP2 were much better compared still the annoying waiting scenes with a little more urgency attached.

But each to his own, just my personally opinion, it was more annoying than fun.The technology and designs and some game play makes it a good contender for the title, the game it self lacked what HL1 offered.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Firstly, and most importantly:
Spoiler (show)
I just want to make it clear to everyone that if they *DARE* mention C&C4 for this list I will personally hunt you down and do something to you! EA bought Westwood Studios, killed it, and then urinated on it's amazing legacy from a dizzy height with C&C 4.
Right, now that that is out the way, in no particular order:
  • Deus Ex (I've only played the original. Actually I've managed to stretch the experience out over six or eight months now - on purpose so that I can savour every little flavour that this legendary epic of a game can give me! I'm on the last level right now... :-) It weaves such an intricate and beautiful story together that not only entertains, but can spawn very interesting discussions and thought conversations.
  • Portal
  • I'm too tired to think of anything else right now.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Deus Ex was 2000 if I am right.

This decade made a big jump and then flattened out and became more of the same and watered down as it went on.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

StarBound wrote:Deus Ex was 2000 if I am right.

This decade made a big jump and then flattened out and became more of the same and watered down as it went on.
Was released around June 29th !

Well from what is seen and read, the next decade will have a few surprises, like the come back of 3d adventure games like the ones lucas arts and sierra games made. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On how I miss running around a static 3D rendered level for 3 hours trying to find the combination to a safe...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

WoW gets my nod. I can't stop playing it which to me means they've done something right.
Yes, the graphics are not as good as most other modern games, yes it can be insanely repetitive, but it has held my attention (pretty much unabated) since I installed it some 4 years ago.

I really enjoyed Morrowind as well.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

wizardofid wrote:This is the best game ever.

The Neverhood
Oh hell yes. How many hours I spent playing that game isn't even funny.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

WiK1d wrote:
wizardofid wrote:This is the best game ever.

The Neverhood
Oh hell yes. How many hours I spent playing that game isn't even funny.
Sigh at least I have some one that agrees with me :D.Now we can start are own club ! :P
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

But Neverhood was pre 2000.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

You people amaze me. WHOOOOOSH is the sound of the brilliance that was F.E.A.R. flying right over the top of your heads. Who the heck played F.E.A.R. for the scares? :P You played it for the gunfights.

It's as if you all went on a date with some really gorgeous girl, had a really great time, and when you get home your brother asks you how it went and all you can talk about is how the steak you ordered could have been a little more tender. Seriously. People. Go play F.E.A.R. again, because if it's the scares you remember you must only have been semi-conscious while playing the game. Horror. Was. Not. The. Freaking. Point.

I'm only having this little tantrum because I love you all and don't want you to die never having experienced one of the best shooters ever created.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

D3PART3D wrote:You people amaze me. WHOOOOOSH is the sound of the brilliance that was F.E.A.R. flying right over the top of your heads. Who the heck played F.E.A.R. for the scares? :P You played it for the gunfights.

It's as if you all went on a date with some really gorgeous girl, had a really great time, and when you get home your brother asks you how it went and all you can talk about is how the steak you ordered could have been a little more tender. Seriously. People. Go play F.E.A.R. again, because if it's the scares you remember you must only have been semi-conscious while playing the game. Horror. Was. Not. The. Freaking. Point.

I'm only having this little tantrum because I love you all and don't want you to die never having experienced one of the best shooters ever created.
Hmmm... FEAR has been in my Steam library for about 4 months now... maybe I should install it... but first, some SC2 :p
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

-Prometheus- wrote:Actually that's precisely what I remember after this girl came jumping out of the corner and almost made me jump from my chair.
I remember that scene all to well and also one where she crawled super fast exorsist style out from underneath a table. I was like :D and then I was like :? "I'll play tomorow morning instead"
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

hmmmm my game of the decade would be dues ex released 2000.

IMO it started it all.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RiaX wrote:IMO it started it all.
nope.. fade to black followed by system shock... deus ex perfected it..

if not deus ex, then borderlands certainly has a shot at the crown... innovative and fun to play... unlike Call-of-Yet-Another-Duty or World-of-Soul-Destroying-Pointless-Grind...

for the hard of thinking, achievements != content...

and those clamouring for ME2 really need to sit down and read a book sometime... 15 minutes of story fluffed out with simulated sex and hackneyed back stories is hardly innovative, engrossing or even worth mentioning... i get that the console market is used to negative story content but come on..... surely the bar should be set higher than this?.. :roll:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

hmmm I disagree on the ME, yes the story and action is over the top but thats the whole point the man has assembled an elite team to save the entire galaxy so ja you would expect this sheperd fellow to be like impossibly good. If i had to rate best game of the next gen consoles it would be the mass effect series.

Plus if you think too rational playing games then you defeat their purpose, to enjoy them is to get lost in their world, not bring their content in yours and very few titles can accomplish this.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

oh... the old "it's about escapism" defence of sub-standard drivel... rated purely on storyline, ME doesn't even rate against the witcher, max payne, oblivion or even dragon age origins... so why are we discussing it?...

oh.. that's right.... console gamers and alien sexing... :lol:
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

other than innovative bullet time max payne wasnt that grand.

Good story, fun to play, amusing concepts and slightly repetitive but you know what mass effect has the same things. Oblivion is good but again closing those gates ended up being a pain.

and its the old "escapism" because thats what they designed for, because you dont realise this concept you dont enjoy the current generation of games nor will you enjoy the future titles to come. Either that or you just a moron fan boy :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RiaX wrote: Either that or you just a moron fan boy
hardly.. i believe the point is if we, the consumer, don't demand something better they will continue to churn out the same drivel.. sequel after sequel... year after year... with new generations of mouth breathers moving in raving about what is clearly citric acid mixed in sewer run-off masquerading as fresh orange juice...

hollywood works along the same lines... and gaming is headed down the same crud chute... they can get away with this because their consumer base is as demanding as porridge with the memory retention of a freshly squeezed boil... especially given the idiocy behind console lock-in and the volume of numskulls actually paying premium for the dubious honour of getting less for more.. there's an expletive i have for this sort of mind-shatteringly insane level of stupidity but there's a time and a place...

now that you and yours have achieved developer nirvana through astounding feats of apathy and selective marketing-based memory lapses, we who recognise innovation and originality should shut our traps and agree that the drivel you hold dear isn't actually sloppy seconds?...

not bloody likely... :lol:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Nice going there RiaX... I have to agree with you. Although some of those older games are still more captivating and addictive in nature than most of the games today. StarCraft was like that... Addictive to a point. StarCraft II was like, ye cool graphics, twist on the story and all but still a lot of pleghm. Played StarCraft II for 2 days and then dumped it into a drawer. And you can't deny the original was more fun. Compare the amount fo tiem you were stuck playing a single platform scroller in comparison to any 3D shooter or strategy game. These days it is all about making games that only keep you busy and entertained for about a week before you have to search for the next best thing. Hence my votes going to MMORPG's they are addictive, captivating, have great story lines if you follow it rather than just running through the epic leveling content and they are challenging. So non supprisingly my vote will have to go to the master of them all WoW.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

so, played Diablo II yesterday, and got to finally play it on my desktop pc with bigger screen and better speakers.....
must say that it is awesome!!! even though i have died a few times (still a n00b)...

so it definitely gets my vote!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

KatrynKat wrote:so, played Diablo II yesterday, and got to finally play it on my desktop pc with bigger screen and better speakers.....
must say that it is awesome!!! even though i have died a few times (still a n00b)...

so it definitely gets my vote!
It kinda just falls out of the decade but I'll allow it since it was very close.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

oh.... sorry.... didn't know when it was made or developed.....
it's my first real game... :ops:
the others are HP.........
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Cleared 2 pages of spam. If it didn't have direct relevance to the nomination of titles it was nuked.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932