Game of the Decade

Blast from the past! Tell us about all those old classics that you grew up with.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Game of the Decade

Post by Siemens »

I got permission from one of the mods/admin to do this. So no flaming please.

2010 is drawing to a close and it's been quite a decade in terms of progress technologically and therefor in the gaming industry aswell.
We believe it is our duty towards the industry to acknowledge the games that has been released especially those real gems that brought forth great innovation.

In this topic we call forth everyone who has played a game in the last 10 years to tell us what is the Game of the Decade. All your votes will be counted.
10 votes(max) per person seems quite suitable for a decade of games (it does not have to be in a ranked list).

Also please give us a reason why you select a particular game for the Game of the Decade.

We can keep this going until end Jan2011 since this will require more thought. If it is necesary we will just prolong the date.
Only games released between 1 Jan 2001 and 31 December 2010 (if you count it, it makes 10 years)

Pictures/screenshots/boxart also welcome aslong as it abides by the forum rules.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
thEnaileDonE

Re: Game of the Decade

Post by thEnaileDonE »

My list (subject to change... just starting it off while I think about it)...

In no particular order:

1. World of Warcraft - For obvious reasons, just check the stats associated with this game
2. Sims - A game that almost didn't get made turned out to me more addictive than heroine
3. The Witcher - The most fun I have had in ten years of gaming
4. Half-Life 2 (can't believe I forgot about it the first time around!)

To be continued...

Neil
Last edited by thEnaileDonE on 28 Dec 2010, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

World of Warcraft. Only game that I have been playing without stopping except for 2 months max at a time.

Other than that we have seen the rise and collapse of so many games from what they were to what their sequels are now.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Game of the decade?

As much as I hate to admit it, it would probably be WoW...

Not really my cup of tea, but a good idea that has been successfully implemented and has payed big dividends, changing modern gaming.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

My list is also subject to change. Not in order.

1. Oblivion
2. Warcraft 3
3. Dead Space
4. Knights of the old Republic
5. Doom 3
6. Duke Nukem (all)
7. Mass Effect
Last edited by Tribble on 29 Dec 2010, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

within the last 10 years?.. a ruddy short list... there has been very little to no original content since 1998/1999... it's all been rehashed in shiny new packaging for generation after generation of "non-critical" gamers who imagine it's fresh and interesting purely because they can waggle sticks like a demented lab monkey on anti-depressants...

1) deus ex
2) witcher
3) psychonauts
4) diablo 2
5) call of duty

not necessarily in that order....

<edit> added CoD... because of this:
Spoiler (show)
</edit>
Last edited by rustypup on 28 Dec 2010, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Freecell and Solitaire

They have the biggest player base of all games...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

The last 10 years were not exactly the best gaming years.I can't recall any game that particular stood out.The last 10 years has been rather lack luster for me.

Personally there is not one game if it got magically lost I would buy again for the the sake of it's awesomeness.

But it does mean there has not been at least been one or two memorable games that had either a extremely good storyline or awesome sound track with great game play here and there.

Mario Galaxy
Metriod Prime
Thief 2: The Metal Age
B.I.A

These provided some pleasant experiences, however this is "game" of the decade, so only one can win well surprising it is not one I have on the list. Some thing that was fun and addictive great story relative good soundtrack, unfortunately is not part of the decade.
This is the best game ever.

The Neverhood
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wizardofid wrote:Thief 2: The Metal Age
i discounted this, SS2, MDK2 and morrowind because they're all sequels to pre-2000 games which added nothing notable... otherwise, yes... excellent game.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:
wizardofid wrote:Thief 2: The Metal Age
i discounted this, SS2, MDK2 and morrowind because they're all sequels to pre-2000 games which added nothing notable... otherwise, yes... excellent game.
ever played The Neverhood ?

Yes I see your point...on the sequels part....and actually MDK 2 was released in 1997.
Lets not forget KKND another awesome little gem !

Mind you I completely forgot about another little gem called Grim Fandango another cool 2001 lucas arts game...
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Team Fortress 2.
This game made me ignore other game for months on end.

Portal
Was the biggest suprise for me.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wizardofid wrote:Grim Fandango
:D true...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Half-Life 2.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

D3PART3D wrote:Half-Life 2.
Well I did consider it, but there is nothing in particular that makes it awesome,the facial animation was super awesome, and one of the first games to make proper use of the technology, graphical okayish... story telling being vague and the sound track annoying at times.

What ruined every thing was the long delays...gamers expected some thing amazing in the graphics department but was sorely disappointed and the fact that there was levels that were excluded from the retail game....in one particular video fighting against a alien creature of sorts like the in the first one.

It also moved away from the pull A to open B to open C to get to D, instead decided use get to B to open A... the first HL FPS design is what made it great, it was used to a lesser extent in the HL2....I actually found the side scroller codename Freeman more enjoyable that came with the collectors edition.

But any ways the FPS genre was in general a let down, the last 10 years seemed to be more of a third person, RTS, and mini games like popcap games which were insanely fun.

Lets not forget the nokia's 5110 game snake....which I remember correctly I could spend endless hours playing...... :P :wink:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

First part of the 2001-2010 decade gaming rose up a bit. Sequels that showed promise popped up from no where. Halo got released and the world was shocked that it couldnt play on your geforce 2 gts as so advertised by nvidia. We saw the remake of Prince of Persia that made people forget it was PoP4 in the series and as it went on just degraded from Sands of time into plain dust and sand.

Saw the rise of shaders in graphics cards that made games like Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 look better, even Half life 2 changed from corridors to open world. Doom 3 made everyone fear the dark again and FEAR made everyone fear the dark aswell as little girls. But as time went on we saw how those games spawned sequels that probably shouldnt have been made.

Then with the introduction of more powerful consoles pc gaming started to suffer because the once 1-3million sales werent good enough anymore. With pc gaming sinking into a developers quicksand they hit the final nail in the coffin by beating it into a pulpy bloody mess with drm. As of 2006-2007 nothing much has changed in the gaming world. PC tech aimed for the stars but games only went as far as consoles allowed them. And if anything we saw the return to the old style of games. Platformers are making a return.

If I have to give any game other than WoW the game of the decade award it will have to be between Call of Duty 4 MW, FEAR or Halo 2. CoD4 for bringing the CoD franchise up to date and dominating every first person shooter. Halo 2 for showing that consoles can do multiplayer just like a pc (although cod4 set it in stone). FEAR for the scariest single player apart from dead space.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

prince of persia games can hardly be considered 'games'... "bouncy. bouncy.bouncy. fail to hit button at precise moment it's required. die.go back. bouncy.bouncy.bouncy.die.go back" rinse and repeat... this isn't gaming... this is a full blown epileptic fit. :/

FEAR and DOOM were sad copies of SS/SS2 with more repetitive staged scenes than a soap opera... "oh look. that piece of armor is hidden waaay back in that dark spot over there. i can't imagine anything scary will happen over there." load of twaddle... why anyone raves about either puzzles me... i'm still struggling to finish fear && dead space purely because my mind can only take so much boredom in one sitting before i start drooling...

everything past COD2 is tripe... the COD franchise is an exercise in selling the exact same content multiple times at premium to the least discerning market they can find backed up by a healthy dose of marketing and "controversy", much like those tjops who make the GTA titles... shooters for the criminally adolescent...

i can't comment on halo, but i can guess based on its platform of choice and its fanbase...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So what would you say is the game of the decade?
My Steam Screenshots

Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Okay I'll also make one subject to change. Since I can't think of all the games I've played atm.
In no particular order

Pokemon Gold/Silver (RPG - GameBoy Color/ Advanced)

Pokemon was mind blowing for me. To have an open world experience in the universe of my favourite anime (at the time) was just brilliant. It was like a dream come true. I've played all the generations and can't wait for Black and white to come out.

The Lord of the Rings -Battle for Middle-Earth II ( the first one aswell as the expansion is great) (RTS -PC)

LOTR BFME II showed me that even I can enjoy RTS games. It is probably the best film/book to game adaptions. It was very immersive and I really enjoyed it.

Warcraft III The Frozen Throne (RTS - PC)

It's more of the multiplayer modding community that makes this game shine even 7 years after its release. Even though I don't like Dota the rest of the modding community is awesome with fun maps that keeps me going back for more. It is still the most popular game at LANs (well atleast the last one I attended).

Plants vs Zombies(Tower defense - PC)

Very fun, unique, innovative, beautiful(somewhat) and addictive. Many people played it and most of them loved it. I really hope the next decade will have more of such innovation.

The World Ends With You(RPG -DS)

The World Ends With You was a title that truly used the NintendoDS to it's best ability. Innovative gameplay and storyline shows that the DS isn't just another fad.

Portal

Very fun and innovative. The humour is also great.

F.E.A.R. 2

I would've picked fear1 but the second fear improved on the game a lot.
Last edited by Siemens on 12 Jan 2011, 14:34, edited 5 times in total.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Game of the decade, well that is a hard one.....but I will go with Crysis for now.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I'm voting Half-Life 2 as well.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Bladerunner wrote:I'm voting Half-Life 2 as well.
Good choice :D
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

As much as I would like to put World of Warcraft as my game of the decade, my vote is going to Portal. In my opinion, it's the most refreshingly different game we've seen. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

even Half life 2 changed from corridors to open world
Sigh! No it's not...!