Application development: Why not do everything in Java?

Anything to do with handheld gaming devices goes here.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Application development: Why not do everything in Java?

Post by KALSTER »

Why can't applications for cell phones not all be done in Java? It seems most, if not all, phones OS's have Java emulators. Looking at Angry Birds for instance, why not write one version in Java? Do you still have to code for different hardware and OS's, even in Java?
Last edited by KALSTER on 13 Apr 2012, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Re: Application development: Why not do everything in Java?

Post by rustypup »

java bytecode runs in platform specific VMs... so each platform will have it's own flavour of JVM, which will then present a unified interface to the bytecode such that the developer doesn't need to code around platform specific idiosyncrasies, (big-endian/little-endian, etc) - that, at least, is the idea.

unfortunately, the platform specific JVMs aren't all that uniform and majority of mobile java developers are insane wombats who haven't learnt to decipher the cryptic "deprecated API" message produced by the compiler...

added to which - no matter how streamlined, bytecode run through a JIT compiler will never reach the speed of native code. this issue falls away with improved CPU/RAM/storage performance but on lower spec'd devices the execution delay, (especially around something like an STL), is very noticeable.

<wasn't that birdy rubbish released on iOS first? strikes me as being the sought of thing apple-tards would go doolally over...>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Thanks Rusty. While mostly gobbledygook to an ignoramus like me, I think I get the gist of it. ;)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

KALSTER wrote:Why can't applications for cell phones not all be done in Java? It seems most, if not all, phones OS's have Java emulators. Looking at Angry bids for instance, why not write one version in Java? Do you still have to code for different hardware and OS's, even in Java?
Java? Runnin natively on iOS? Not by Steve Jobs' grey breard you DON'T!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Yo dawg, I herd you like applications, so I wrote an application that runs inside an application
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Thing is: think of a programming language as a tool in a builder's toolbox. Which one you use depends on what you're trying to accomplish. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Silly Admin - You cant build a house with Java...
But you can build a house in Minecraft, an application written in Java :shock:

Shirt just got real.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

jamin_za wrote:Yo dawg, I herd you like applications, so I wrote an application that runs inside an application
Ok so how are, say, Android/iOS/Windows mobile applications developed? Do they all come with their own API?

Also, would Roxio stand to make more money developing iterations for each API, instead of a common platform like Java?

Does Java run slower on some OS's? Does the new Windows mobile 7 allow for Java? Too many questions?"
Last edited by KALSTER on 16 Apr 2012, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Gonna ask this, Is Java a security loophole for your system? Because I don't know where I read/misread that it is a problem. Might be something else completely.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

KALSTER wrote:Ok so how are, say, Android/iOS/Windows mobile applications developed? Do they all come with their own API?

Also, would Roxio stand to make more money developing iterations for each API, instead of a common platform like Java?

Does Java run slower on some OS's? Does the new Windows mobile 7 allow for Java? Too many questions?"
They all come with their own SDKs.

No, the opposite.

Possibly, but it's not that huge a difference.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers