3DS vs PSV vs iPad

Anything to do with handheld gaming devices goes here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

3DS vs PSV vs iPad

Post by StarBound »

My YES/NO coin made me do it. Glad we got that out of the way.

Hunting down a PSV was not easy but I managed to get one from the local Dion Wired for R2800 (R100 less than other non-pre-ordered wifi versions). The 3G version goes for an extra R800 making its price tag at retail R3699. I have seen it go for R3399 online though.
Next up was the memory chip/card. R500 for a 16GB.
Finally 2 safe games for R400 each.

So where does that leave me? It leaves me on this forum speaking my mind.

Overall Impression, I wasted even more money that I didn't need to spend.
As a gaming device (handheld) it is not bad. The touch screen doesn't have the slide it should give you and you often feel like your stuck on a grain. Maybe a screen protector can fix that issue. The size is good. The system fits well in my hands but buttons are a bit on the small side. I haven't tried anything using the back touch pad yet.
The games come on very small memory cards. That said, no UMD slot. So you have to re-buy all your PSP games from PSN. Did I say re-buy? YES! Re-buy since that code thing only applies to Japan it seems. And let's not fool ourselves you MUST buy a memory card for the system or nothing will be saved. I don't think the system will even finish its startup cycle without one.

So there is my short description. Now for a comparrisson.

The 3DS at current has a few things that out shines the PSV.
1 - Smaller if your planning on putting it in your pocket (don't try with vita /kiss analog sticks goodbye)
2 - 3DS has 3D!
3 - 3DS + 3 games = price of cheapest Vita without games ...or memory card.
4 - Has more than 3 games that people will likely buy and play.

My problem with the 3DS has always been the size. It is too small for me. The circle pad pro semi fixed the problem but play a game that doesn't use the CPP and your stuck leaning over buttons. Ok let's chalk down the 3DS in its current state.

The system has a wider selection of games. They don't need to install and the system comes with a changeable SD card. The Nintendo e-shop in SA is dead. The UK has a wide selection of relatively little to interest people. The price for the system is "relatively" low in that you can buy a 3DS to replace your DSi or DS and you will be able to play all DS games on your 3DS without re-buying or redownloading (unless you bought from DSiWare). Again, small and doesn't fit well in my hands unless I have a CPP. There are a decent amount of superior games avalible at retail for the 3DS such as Mario 3D Land, Zelda 3D, Mario Cart 7, Starfox 64 3D and the best of the lot Resident Evil Revelations.

Ok next contender, iPad.

I have the 64GB 3G version. I am no where near filling this thing but of the 3 it works the best for me. Simply the device is more than just for gaming. In fact I deleted half of my game collection off the thing. As a business device it brilliant. As a gaming device it is better than many can imagine. From MMOs that can saticefy that WoW lust to something that can play a casual game and all at low prices (US account, $1 games, 5 = hooka for less fun).

The size of a diary the device just works for me. From quick net searching, street lookups, contact finds, playing a game now and then, listening to music (when I figure out how to sync the damn thing) ect ect.

To me the ipad is the clear winner based on my needs, but as far as gaming from them all go the 3DS is the better option as a dedicated gaming device because of its main feature, price and A-grade titles.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.