Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves - Mini review ps3

Post by StarBound »

Ok where to start off.

Those unfimiliar with Uncharted it is basicly a tomb raider clone with a male figure, Nather Drake, at your control instead of the lovely Lara Croft. The game starts off where you find yourself hanging from a train wreck drenched in your own blood. As you scale the wreck and eventually pass out you discover the reason for being there in movie style flash back. The cause ofcoarse is your desire for ancient treasure.

The game handles better than the more recent tomb raider title as well as the previous uncharted. Combat of the game has been simplified to a 1 button attack for melee with the occational 2nd button used to avoid or counter attack. For the most part you will find yourself shooting from behind cover. New to the game is stealth takedowns where you hide behind cover and grab the enemy from over the obstacle, hang from a cliff and toss them down or sneak up on then and snap their necks.

The game seems to be designed around multi player co op as you are with a 2nd person about 70% of the game but I cant confirm this. The game does offer co-op and other pvp multi player.

The levels are not as breathtaking as the first game but the levels look good non the less. From a turkish museum to a wartorn city the detail is astounding. The game even runs better than the first meaning the developers has learned to use the ps3 hardware even better since the last game. The problem with the level design is that the progression paths are almost hidden. You would wonder how to get to the next room only to find you missed a ladder hanging out of sight or a rope in the shadows or a climable wall where you couldnt distinguish the bricks from the backdrop.

Enemy encounters are terrible. The game has less puzzle solving and easier puzzles than the previous one. The combat in the game is the let down. You will find yourself dying and dying and dying. eg You have to cross a bridge with a sniper and a rocket soldier on the far side with armoured shotgun troopers and shield weilders coming your way. This can be extremely annoying as if you dont take out the rpg guy he blows you from your cover. If you dont take out the sniper you get killed taking out the guys on the bridge. If you dont take out the guys on the bridge you find yourself infront of a fully padded shotgunner.

The game has a movie experience to it. You will find yourself running from a chopper on the roof tops, chased down by a truck in an alley, fighting on a speeding train and even trying to save your partner from death as you both fall from a building while shooting the enemy thats jumping towards you.

The game is a worthy successor to the first and a great experience. If your into action adventure games this wont disappoint.

Recap:
+ Faster, more detailed and better than the first.
+ New and old cast of characters
+ Movie feel that you wont find in a cinema
- Endless waves of enemies
- Tough progression pathfinding
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Uncharted 2 Among Thieves - Mini review ps3

Post by Tribble »

I played it at rage - over and over and over again. They eventually said that they are not allowed to let people get that far in the game. So we had to go and play something else. The graphics are amazing - especially if you play it on a HD plasma screen. I found it addictive and cannot wait to get it and play it through. You say the levels aren't as breathtaking - it won the Best of Show award at E3, Best Console game and best Handheld game. Looky.

I wasn't that interested in the previous one but I have watched my 7 year old play the game through. And that one didn't seem too difficult either.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Tribble wrote:You say the levels aren't as breathtaking
I'll admit that was a personal preferance. There was less "wow" in this game to me than drakes fortune. eg the sub at the waterfall, the fort, the waterdrowned city vs the wartorn streets, the turkish/persian museum and the icy caverns in the mountains. It might be because I play CoD4 and TR legend that bares a heavy resemblance.
My Steam Screenshots

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Awesome game! Really shows off the potential of the PS3...

Finished mine last night, so now it's up for sale.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

meh, read this and only now saw it's PS3... how'd I miss that... :?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

You were blinded by the pure awesomeness that you didnt notice which platform it was on :P It's really a good alternative to TR except for the unending waves of enemies. Seriously 4-10 is enough. They dont need to bring their friends, friends of friends, cousins and entire family tree into a fight.
My Steam Screenshots

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah damn, some of the fights were seriously frustrating!
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

If we haven't ordered it already - ryanrich, would like to buy it from you. Will check and let you know.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Been reading some of the reviews and it has been getting 100% / 5 out of 5 / 'Perfect' scores from all over the place. Looks like a realy fun game.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

In short it is a game worth buying if your into tomb raider like games.
My Steam Screenshots