StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

PS3 slowdowns

Post by StarBound »

One thing that keeps happening a lot these days is that the games on ps3 starts slowing down in some situations. Is it because of running at 1080 or is it an inherant problem of the ps3? I dont remember the xbox having this issue.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
justinufo

Re: PS3 slowdowns

Post by justinufo »

Well ive played skate and gta 4 on my friends ps3 and i can say the xbox's framerate is better.The xbox has a better overall framerate in most multiplatform releases.Do you experience it in every game?Im guessing its a ps3 problem.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah, every game?

Some games do lag on the box. Play N3 to see what slowdowns really look like.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

The earlier multiplats were better on the box though now lately they have been the same in all respects (SFIV, etc.)
Allegedly, Red Alert 3 is going to be better on the PS3.

Personally, I've had no issues with exclusives on the PS3, the box a different story, though the HD install is a godsend. The Last Remnant has some horrific framerate issues.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The games I have issues with are as follows.

MGS4 - The game runs normal but there is a speedup when in coridors.
Sonic the Hedgehog - Kill a robot and his parts fly then the game slows down untill the debris disappears.
Uncharted - The part in the sewers of the fortress after you jump down into the water the game slows down as enemies jump in and start shooting at you.
Bioshock - the first stage where the plane tail crashes into the tunnel wall.

Those are the most noticeable. I think there are a few in Farcry 2 aswell but I dont play the game enough. Could it be that I am playing at full hd? Will dropping to 720 increase my framerate?
My Steam Screenshots

halo

Post by halo »

StarBound wrote:The games I have issues with are as follows.

MGS4 - The game runs normal but there is a speedup when in coridors.
Sonic the Hedgehog - Kill a robot and his parts fly then the game slows down untill the debris disappears.
Uncharted - The part in the sewers of the fortress after you jump down into the water the game slows down as enemies jump in and start shooting at you.
Bioshock - the first stage where the plane tail crashes into the tunnel wall.

Those are the most noticeable. I think there are a few in Farcry 2 aswell but I dont play the game enough. Could it be that I am playing at full hd? Will dropping to 720 increase my framerate?
I've noticed similar slow downs from time to time on my PS3 as well.. But for MGS4, I honestly never remember the game slowing down once. It ran like butter from start to finish same with uncharted.

Bioshock does have that random slow down at the start but other than that one situation, I do not remember the game slowing on me once.

As for resolution, most games run at 720p and are upscaled to 1080p... but you never know, forcing 720p and see whats what :D

Hope you sort it out. O, add me to PSn if you go online, Halo-za :D
garp

Post by garp »

call me mad.... but I thought the entire point of getting a console was to avoid the problems of slowdown/incompatibility/random game crashes?? I really wouldn't mind a console, if you were able to use a keyboard and mouse on it.. but not if its gonna give problems like this.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's not a problem. It's game specific, which is what this sounds like to me. Probably bad coding, I don't know. Can't talk for the PS3 but what I've seen on Xbox in over two years was one game, one with 9k combo's, and there were 300+ mobs on screen. Which of you have a pc that would run that above 30fps? Righty then.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

You dont get fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur or Street Fighter on pc. For the next 3 years atleast I can play all my games on ps3 without worrying about a new DX version that wont be included on my OS or that after buying a game I still need to download the rights/content to play it.
My Steam Screenshots

justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Street fighters getting a pc release :P :lol: weird :?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I also think it's bad coding, I've seen some slow downs in certain Xbox 360 games such as Far Cry 2 when there's a lot going on ( lots of enemies shooting at you while the bush is on on fire, lots of explosions etc... ) but it's few and far between.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

It is bad coding. The Skate PS3 version was really bad at this. it's said that no matter how many cores it has, the games need the coding to take advantage of them.
Same with SLi or Crossfire. It's just waiting for the code to smoke everything out there.

Look I admire what they put into the PS3 but to me I prefer the 360. Honestly by the time the games on the PS3 are up to par and with insane graphics, the 360 will be up for replacement. give or take a few years. They are starting to come of age and the 360 isn't up for replacement so you could have the last laugh you PS3 owners.

I'm shocked that the 360 has better FPS then the PS3. I thought the PS3 would be insane with FPS.
I think the Skate FPS in the 360 is low.

All I can say is update the firmware of your PS3 every time it comes out with a new version and pray they make the gamers better.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
garp

Post by garp »

Thing is... bad coding on a console game is set and done, while on PC it can be fixed with patches and that. *I stand to be corrected on this..

Meh, so when are one of you OC freaks gonna gonna find a way to OC you PS3 or Xbox :twisted:
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's patched all the time actually.

Any hardware's only as good as the software that runs on it and with that said current consoles are midrange compared to their pc counterparts at their very bests. No dispute.

Remember though, where as modern pc games pushes hardware further and further a console's counterpart's basically guaranteed to work within it's given timeframe.

When people mention lag it's thus exactly like OnlyOne said, a few seconds within an 10 hour campaign and it may differ also from player to player. You might lag setting a whole village ablaze whilst being rushed by countless hostiles whilst someone else sniping from a distance in the same exact scene won't.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The weird thing is the xbox has more dediacted gfx memory. PS3 has 256mb and the xbox 512mb.
My Steam Screenshots

DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Xbox has 512MB shared between both CPU and GPU. PS3 has 256 per chip.

Tho, I think (Correct me if I'm wrong), the CPU has to access the memory through the GPU (On the Xbox)
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Xbox has 2 cores right? Ps3 has the cell and 7 other sub chips? Dont remember where I read it but cell is responcible for sharing load onto the sub chips. Maybe thats why it slows down?
My Steam Screenshots

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

StarBound wrote:Xbox has 2 cores right? Ps3 has the cell and 7 other sub chips? Dont remember where I read it but cell is responcible for sharing load onto the sub chips. Maybe thats why it slows down?
Xbox 360 has 3 cores...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

DarkStar wrote:Xbox has 512MB shared between both CPU and GPU. PS3 has 256 per chip.

Tho, I think (Correct me if I'm wrong), the CPU has to access the memory through the GPU (On the Xbox)
All together it has 512MB not per chip.

The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.
Not sure about the Xbox, But from what i understand the Xbox has more.

XDR(Rambus) ram is supper fast, so it probably makes up.

I have one of those Incredible connection stuff up ps3(60GB) where they sold it for R370 on their website.

The only game where i have experienced slow down was in Kane & Lynch right at the end where you have to take the guys out
the landed passenger Chopper.

And With Ghost Recon 2 , Ghost Recon 2 has loads of slow downs.
But its bad coding imo.

COD World at war run perfectly.
Army of 2 aswell so for the rest of the games.

Bad coding can seriously mess with performance.

Look at E.G Half Life based on the Quake 2 Engine.
That game ran Excellently! and so for all the other games based on its engine.
Like Quake 2,Heretic2, And so with games based on the Quake 3 Engine.

DuceEX the first was a bit slow.
dawid22
G3AR Head of Digital

Post by dawid22 »

StarBound wrote:One thing that keeps happening a lot these days is that the games on ps3 starts slowing down in some situations. Is it because of running at 1080 or is it an inherant problem of the ps3? I dont remember the xbox having this issue.
To answer the original question:

Running it at 1080 is irrelevant to the slow down. If you experienced screen tearing that would make perfect sense.

It all comes down the the developers. I had numerous slow downs in Far Cry 2, but I think that happened because the game was developed from the ground up for the use on the 360/PC and ported to the PS3. What does surprise me is that you are experiencing slow down in MGS4. I've played it through 4 times now and I'm yet to experience any slow down.

Lastly, I am on my 2nd PS3 with the 1st one's Blu-Ray dying 12 days after I bought it... thing is I experienced terrible slow down in Motorstorm just before that happened. So, I'm holding thumbs that it is not your PS3 that wants to kick the bucket. Do you have a 40/60GB PS3?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

80gb. I wanted the 60gb that still had ps2 support. I still have 14 PS2 games lying around and of them I want to replay FF-X and MGS2 the most.
My Steam Screenshots

dawid22
G3AR Head of Digital

Post by dawid22 »

Yeah, it sucks that the PS3 ain't backwards compatible anymore :(
TheAlteredState

Post by TheAlteredState »

I had a 60Gb PS3... until recently when it got a YLOD.... so they swapped it out and I now have a normal one, but with a 250GB HDD
Significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state!
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Harddrives are easy to replace. The disc drive isnt. And then you still cant play your library of 14+ ps2 games.
My Steam Screenshots