The Official PlayStation 3 Thread

Discuss the Playstation 3 in here.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: The Official PlayStation 3 Thread

Post by ryanrich »

I just pre-ordered Bioshock 2 and a PS3 exclusive I'm very excited about called Heavy Rain which looks brilliant...

Video of Heavy Rain E3 Trailer

Heavy Rain, Gamescon Trailer
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

YEAH...

I got a PS3 this week now I own both consoles
( was a bit tight on cash so I bought a 2x platinum titles Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia ) both for R499 at look and listen.)

There are a lot of titles out there and they are expensive .........
Where is the best place to buy with the best prices ?
Online and store ?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I buy almost all my games from guys who have finished them on www.ps3za.co.za, they're basically in brand new condition because PS3 owners generally take very good care of them. Works out to about half price. For instance I just sold Batman: Arkham Asylum for R300 and it still retails for over R600... Titles that are about 2 weeks old and guys have just finished sell for about R100 less than retails.

Certain games I just can't wait for though, like the two I've just pre-ordered, so have to fork out R600 each for those... Take 2 has good prices, but check BT Games as well.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I've just spent about an hour reading previews and watching a few Heavy Rain videos on Youtube - it looks really unique! I did play a bit of Fahrenheit, and really enjoyed the "interactive film" dynamic. Heavy Rain is definitely going on my to-play list, thanks Ryan.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

linkage to the review you were reading?
Ashley_Pops

Post by Ashley_Pops »

Screeper wrote:Please please please let GT5 come out in March like Sony have suggested and not 'later this year' that other people in the industry are suggesting.
On the BT games website they have it listed as a June release. I did hear that the game was delayed.

Heavy Rain has officially been added to my list, looks amazing :D

Also really looking forward to The Last Guardian. Not sure of the release date, but apparently it is this year.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I searched youtube for Heavy rain. Looks interesting but the game is full of quick time events (press button to dodge, dodge, avoid, grab safety). So while interesting its not a game for me.

What we need is a game with quicktime events that has more than 1 action and that can get you killed when doing the wrong one. Think back to games like Dragons Lair, Braindead 13 and so on. I use to think those games were good but recently its just a painfull experience.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

w00t!

My FFXIII just arrived.

It's just so surreal.

*inserts disc into console*

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ashley_Pops

Post by Ashley_Pops »

Likewise, got my copy this morning :)

Hard to believe its been so long, there goes my life for the next few weeks.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

That sucks. But I cant play the game anymore. It's frustrating and boring at the same time.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

D3PART3D wrote:I've just spent about an hour reading previews and watching a few Heavy Rain videos on Youtube - it looks really unique! I did play a bit of Fahrenheit, and really enjoyed the "interactive film" dynamic. Heavy Rain is definitely going on my to-play list, thanks Ryan.
Finished this last week. I loved it. A very novel experience.

- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GossipGamers wrote:It looks like we’re going to wait for a bit more until we get the latest PlayStation Move controller but luckily we got this interesting instruction that will show us how to use it, and most importantly, how not to use it. If you remember, most Wii games have the security warning that shows us how to use our controllers properly. Warning shows us that we need to place the safety wristband on and keep the distance from other players or objects. Now, we got interesting instructions for PlayStation Move so let us check it out. First thing that you should know when playing with PlayStation Move is to keep distance from objects and other people as well as babies. In addition, it is not recommended to use your Move controller against the Master Chief but you are advised to use it on cyborgs. Besides that, try not to pop some balloons when playing with Move controller because you will get one sad kid. Also, try to avoid multiple objects and self-destruct buttons if you do not want to damage your controller that way. Last thing, Move controller does not work on vampires, so if you are trying to kill a vampire make sure that you use a wooden steak. Of course, this is not an official instruction; this one is made just for fun so feel free to check it out.
Image Source
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So since I have one of these now...

What games should I look at getting? As a intro to PS3 & Consoles in general?

And...

Are there any games that are like the Wii Fit? My mom wanted a Wii for the yoga thing so I might as well see if something like that exists for the PS3...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Anakha56 wrote:So since I have one of these now...

What games should I look at getting? As a intro to PS3 & Consoles in general?.
Tekken 6 is essential IMO. Great game to play when you have friends over, and executing a good combo can be really satisfying :D

Metal Gear Solid 4 Wings of Liberty disrupted my playing of Sons of Liberty, but as soon as I'm done I'm playing 4. Hideo Kojima's fan's are rabid lunatics for a reason.

HEAVY RAIN!!! Especially if you like Spike Lee films.

Go to the PSN store and browse the PSOne classics.

Killzone 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 out soon, Demon's Souls, obscure Jap titles...

- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

:lol: I'm so hyped up about GT5, if I had the money I'd probably go for the signature ed. too.

- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I dont have the money but the CC on the other hand... :( :cry:

Oh and I will get it to peeve my uncle off :P.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay, so odd question. A friend bought a PS3 for her kids (well, she says it's a PS3 . . . I haven't seen it, so it may well be a PS2) but it has stopped reading discs. Won't read games, CDs, DVDs . . . nothing. Can it be fixed? If so, where?

(She bought it second hand, so there's no warranty.)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

www.ps3za.co.za should have some answer to it but maybe its better to simply buy a new 120gb ps3 for R3k than to get the old ones refurbished.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Dont know if other PS3 owners know about this but it really is a awesome piece of software:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
About¶
PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.

Current features¶
•Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
•Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
•Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
•Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
•Full seeking support when transcoding
•DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
•OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
•Thumbnail generation for Videos
•You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
•Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
•Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
•ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
•Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
•Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
•Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
•Basic Xbox360 support
•FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
•Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I finally sorted out all my media on my PC, music and videos, and stream it over wireless through my PS3 to my TV and it works really well! I still think the PS3 is one fantastic all in one media device. The newest firmware update even includes 3D Blu-ray support!
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Funny I was looking at my PS3 last night and suddenly windows media player appeared as a media server.

I now have an xbox 360, PS3 and a wii (obviously the pc in my sig to). I need to ask this because after playing halo on the 360 I am worried about how I will be able to use the 360 controller. So here is the big question.
How much better is XBL for games than PSN? I am looking at MW2 and on psn it isnt the best of networked games with me ending up in some foreign place. But I am worried that I wont be able to play games because of the 360s controller layout. So how does PSN compare to XBL looking at the release of Black Ops and other online games?
My Steam Screenshots

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Got no idea myself but the general consensus seems to be that xbox live is the better bet, in the US anyway, not sure about SA. The main pro that PS3 had was that it's free, but I've always heard that xbox had a bigger audience and better product online...