PS4 Launched!

Anything to do with console gaming goes in here!
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: PS4 Announced!

Post by StarPhoenix »

...and on display at RaGE 2013.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Sadly I will be missing out on Rage. I should have gone those years ago when I had the chance. Dammit!

Anyway I should perhaps correct the release date for SA. We are getting it 6 December.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

StarBound wrote:Sadly I will be missing out on Rage. I should have gone those years ago when I had the chance. Dammit!

Anyway I should perhaps correct the release date for SA. We are getting it 6 December.
Can't make it this year. Poor financial planning. I flog myself every evening on account of that.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Financial isnt my problem. Stupid timing is though.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

And now the PS4 is off the buy list :(.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5047 ... ve-ps4-faq
We're just over two weeks out from the release of Sony's PlayStation 4, and today the company is setting out to answer any lingering questions you may have. Sony has published an exhaustive FAQ at the PlayStation Blog covering a wide range of topics including the console itself, supported accessories, and new details on the PlayStation Network and digital games availability.

Out of the box, the PS4 will include a 500GB 5,400RPM hard drive that's user replaceable — so long as the new drive is larger than 160GB. Sony says the console's cooling system has been tuned for living room usage and "is generally much quieter than the PS3," so hopefully you'll rarely hear a whirring fan during those lengthy gaming sessions or when watching a movie. Speaking of movies, Sony has confirmed that a software update and one-time internet activation will be required before you can watch any Blu-rays or DVDs. That update, PS4 firmware 1.50, will be available at launch — and you'll be allowed to play a game while it downloads in the background. And while PlayStation Plus is required for online multiplayer, you'll be free to use apps (movies, music) without subscribing to Sony's service.

There's very bad news in store for home theater enthusiasts, though. Sony says you'll be unable to use the PS4 as a client for your media server. The next-gen console is shipping without DLNA support, a significant step backwards for a device that's likely to be a living room centerpiece for many. Even more unfortunate, the PS4 can't play MP3 files, suggesting that Sony wants users to turn to its own store and third-party apps for all media needs.
I have my whole setup as a DLNA based client :(. Looks like the Xbox One will be my upgrade on the PS3 since it wont be as noisy as the PS3.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

That sucks, but I can't say I'll miss it. My TV can handle streaming just fine and does it using less power and making less noise than a console.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

we stream from the externals through the PC and router to the PS3 and will be keeping that setup until they bring out something similar to that... and i can't say that we have any noise coming from the console...

PS4 is not looking good these days...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

They didn't have DLNA support from day one on the PS3 either , it was added in later. This time could be different because Sony is pushing their online store, but I doubt it. More of a staggered release to get people to try their services out. If it turns out to be successful then we have problems.

Very dirty of Sony to do this after they made themselves out to be the industry heroes.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well it seems the PS4 will be getting MP3 and DLNA support during the 2nd firmware update in December. Still scary to think that the basics aren't out of the box.

I suppose it really is just a game console out of the box, which is what we want isn't it?
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote:Well it seems the PS4 will be getting MP3 and DLNA support during the 2nd firmware update in December.
Source?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

$10/month for multiplayer :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:$10/month for multiplayer :lol:
WTH! So glad my PC multi-player is free... ;)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Your asking me to go search for something that I don't remember the source from :P

Um... Sony is charging $50 for PSN+ for a year, or R500. That includes the multiplayer portion and has been announced at E3 ...or is this on top of that?
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote:Your asking me to go search for something that I don't remember the source from :P

Um... Sony is charging $50 for PSN+ for a year, or R500. That includes the multiplayer portion and has been announced at E3 ...or is this on top of that?
No source no credibility ;).

No idea but first I know of it. I still can't believe they want to charge for multi-player and at that price. The games are already friggin expensive and on top of that they want more? Greedy buggers...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

That's what happens when you take away multiplayer from comunity and offer it as a company service. It doesn't effect me though. I was going to sub to PSN+ anyway because of the game selections they give you.
My Steam Screenshots

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

StarBound wrote:That's what happens when you take away multiplayer from comunity and offer it as a company service. It doesn't effect me though. I was going to sub to PSN+ anyway because of the game selections they give you.
Effect != Affect
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Hman wrote:
StarBound wrote:That's what happens when you take away multiplayer from comunity and offer it as a company service. It doesn't effect me though. I was going to sub to PSN+ anyway because of the game selections they give you.
Effect != Affect
QFT! :x

SB, how could you!?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

e murdered a so it effected what I wrote :P
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Boo BS!!! I mean, SB!!!
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

console gamers... next gen gullible...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

lol
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

6.3. You must not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the Software.
I am pretty sure this is standard for ALL software. It is basic copyright.
7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.
So is this.
Dawn of War 2 EULA wrote:Subject to the terms of this Agreement, THQ grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use one copy of the Software and/or to use the Software for play online in the country in which You acquired the Software for Your own personal, non-commercial use, but retains all property rights in the Software and all copies thereof.
See the part I highlighted? Yeah, it means you are not allowed to sell your copy.

So rusty, care to change your statement to include ALL software users?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

GreyWolf wrote:So rusty, care to change your statement to include ALL software users?
no. i would not. primarily because my care-meter is hovering somewhere just below 'meh'?.. :P also... consoles...

by extension, this would prevent the re-sale or trade-in of the console, would it not? pretty big departure from all the white-knighting they were engaging in not too long ago..
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:no. i would not. primarily because my care-meter is hovering somewhere just below 'meh'?.. :P also... consoles...
I expected nothing less, but it was worth a try. 8)
rustypup wrote: by extension, this would prevent the re-sale or trade-in of the console, would it not?
I guess so. But then when has that stopped anyone from selling or trading their hardware or software?
rustypup wrote:pretty big departure from all the white-knighting they were engaging in not too long ago..
Not really. Again, all that was revealed here is that Sony is applying the same rules that software publishers have been applying since the dawn of time. So your care-meter is spot on. None of this is worthy of anything more than a "meh".
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So the launch was not without flaw. A few PS4s died and has other issues, now there is investigation that those students that had to work on the stuff sabotaged the production etc.

The launch looks relatively positive though. Only 25 days to go before I get mine.
My Steam Screenshots