PS4 Launched!

Anything to do with console gaming goes in here!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

PS4 Launched!

Post by StarBound »

Just watching the Playstation meeting and this has come to light so far:

CPU: x86 architecture like PC, APU,
RAM: 8GB shared, GDDR5
Storage: Still HDD

Controller still looks like a PS controller but has a sensor bar similar to the wii/wii u sensor bar for its new light bar that is on the controller.

All games playable from out of the box, no authentication/online needed to play the games.

*edit*
Playstation 4 releasing 29 November for EU regions!

*edit*
PS4 launched 13 December for ZA
Last edited by StarBound on 13 Dec 2013, 16:41, edited 3 times in total.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Re: PS4 Announced!

Post by StarBound »

Gaikai will allow you to stream games from the PSN Store before you buy it. No demo, just select the game from the store and try it out, then buy it if you want it.

You will be able to stream your game your playing to friends. If you get stuck, you might even get a friend to play the part for you over the streaming game.

Just as the Wii U, that PSVita you bought will finally get used. PS4 games will be streamable to the PSVita freeing up your HDTV for your family should they dare take over the room.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Will link some vids tomorrow. But for now I need my sleep.

The focus on playstation 4 and play is connectivity, to connect and play beyond the box sitting in your living room.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:CPU: x86 architecture like PC, APU,
RAM: 8GB shared, GDDR5
Storage: Still HDD
Mah.

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/w ... hadowfall/
What you’ll be playing on Sony’s new PS4: Knack, Diablo III
Sony promises to help developers open "new business models."

by Kyle Orland and Megan Geuss - Feb 21 2013, 1:55am -200

When Sony's PlayStation 4 arrives, the titles available on the system are going to be at least as important as the console's actual hardware—if not more so. Sony and game developers took to the stage on Wednesday to announce some of the games that will launch with the latest-generation console, and while we couldn't do any hands-on demos just yet, we got to see some interesting videos to pique our curiosity.

CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Andrew House promised "socially enriched" content (as seen in the dedicated "share" button on the new PS4 controller) as well as "episodic and free-to-play" games. Here are a few games that Sony is promising, with these ideas in mind.

The new titles

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

*edit* I see :mrgreen:

I am excited for the console. None of the games shown in perticular caught my attention in a big way but the hardware seems to be there. PC will always be upgradable so always more powerful. I think the days of the psx and ps2 are gone with their unique experiences.

I'll probably buy the ps4 then wait a few years while my pc ages then upgrade when games dare to go under 30fps.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'd have thought that they would show the actual console. It was essentially, "Hey, we moved over to AMD. Now look at all our shiny game demos."
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I wa also hoping for the view of the box. But we have an ok spec sheet although I didn't see the speed of the cpu. Infact we didnt see any clock speeds. I figured they focused nicely on what they want to do with the system and it made sense what they said for the most part.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote:it made sense what they said for the most part.
consoles make sense now? :lol:

meh.. yet another overpriced brick for mouth-breathers to waggle their rapidly deteriorating limbs at... :P
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Cataclysm_ZA

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

StarBound wrote:I wa also hoping for the view of the box. But we have an ok spec sheet although I didn't see the speed of the cpu. Infact we didnt see any clock speeds.
You can probably find it anywhere else on the internet, but they are eight-core AMD "Jaguar" cores at 1.6GHz. "Jaguar" fits into different power envelopes, from 5W for tablets to 25W for laptops and probably the PS4 and Xbox 720/Infinity/8. I'm surprised that they announced the "Co-Processor" for background tasks. That could mean that it could be an ARM chip given that AMD and ARM made a deal a while ago.
NAG Online Hardware Writer
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

rustypup wrote:consoles make sense now? :lol:
Rusty I have been playing games since before I could read. Consoles have been just a big part of my life as my PC has been.
rustypup wrote:meh.. yet another overpriced brick for mouth-breathers to waggle their rapidly deteriorating limbs at... :P
Considering my PC is worth ...well, A LOT you could settle for a console gaming experience where games would work ...most of the time for a lot cheaper. I am not refering to Steam games costing a fracture of the price but the actual hardware and functionality is a great deal cheaper. Of coarse it depends on how cheap you wish to go.
Cataclysm_ZA wrote:...eight-core AMD "Jaguar" cores at 1.6GHz.
I knew about the 8 cores but didn't know about the 1.6ghz. I don't remember them mentioning that in the live stream either. 1.6Ghz though is a disgrace though. It is slow regardless of the 8 cores. I think the Wii U is running at 1.8Ghz though.

The dedicated co-processor for background tasking is interesting. Indeed downloading in the background while your doing your stuff is common to PC but not to console and to do it while being "power down" does have the advantage of putting on a download and walking away without consuming too much power. I believe the ipad does the same if you let the tablet turn off the screen by itself. Usually do my updates at night when I go to bed.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:
StarBound wrote:it made sense what they said for the most part.
consoles make sense now? :lol:

meh.. yet another overpriced brick for mouth-breathers to waggle their rapidly deteriorating limbs at... :P
iRon, is there any way you can find out how many times rusty has used the term "mouth-breathers" on this forum? I'm sure it will be a delightful experiment.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

The forum's built-in search makes such searches extremely trivial.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ron2K wrote:30.

The forum's built-in search makes such searches extremely trivial.
ROFL Thats funny... :lol:

I really hope they keep the blu-ray drive all indications are that they will be but you never know...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

StarBound wrote:Steam games costing a fracture of the price

Of coarse it depends on how cheap you wish to go.

1.6Ghz though is a disgrace though. It is slow regardless of the 8 cores. I think the Wii U is running at 1.8Ghz though.

downloading in the background while your doing your stuff is common to PC
Just to piss him off right? :)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Nope, this is the interwebs and I just lazy. Everytime I go back to fix grammer its 15 seconds wasted.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Get it right the first time? :P

Consoles exist for one reason: good exclusives. That said, the Xbox 360 has no reason to exist at all.

Interesting to note that Sony claims to have reduced signal lag, it was something John Carmack listed as one of the major obstacles with dumb terminal computing, so there's something good that's already come of this. That and, no more ancient consoles holding back PC-grade game development. w00t! for now at least.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Thinking about the last 6 years of gaming though I think 8gb ram will last a while. There is only so much detail you can cram into something before the costs out weigh the income. I'll get a PS4 for the exclusives and the games with retarded DRM schemes. If I had a PS4 now with farcry 3 and assassins creed 3 running and looking like they do on PC I would uninstall that piece of crap uplay and move it over to my PS4.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Do you think we'll ever see another generation of consoles? We should have the dumb terminal thing down soon.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Imo tablets are going to take over and you will stream your games from it onto your tv. Or your smart phone. Thing is I played the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo last night and the wii u touch screen controller is hitting that point of annoyance. I was so distracted by the screen and half the time I look at the screen because I am interacting on it. When your gaming with a controller you know where the buttons are so your full attention is on the tv. Same with the mouse and keyboard. You know where your buttons are.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sony just hammered it and won E3
My Steam Screenshots

StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

E3 is over already?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Nope but they hammered microsoft into dust. Nintendo still has their showing. But the battles been between MS and Sony for years and now it looked like this:

MS:
- $500
- Needs to be connected once every 24 hours for gaming
- Games are locked to account
Upside, XBL gold account now gives 2 free games a month for xbox 360

Sony
- $400
- games work out of the box, no authentication needed, no locking to account
But it seems you need PSN+ now for online gaming however you will get 4 games over the coarse of the first year for PS4 free with the sub.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/a ... f-e3-2013/
Analysis: The one-two combo Sony used to knock Microsoft out of E3 2013
Used game support and lower-priced hardware create a PR coup.

Over the past ten years attending events like E3 and the Game Developers Conference, I have been to at least 40 press conferences held by console makers or game publishers both major and minor. In that time, I've learned the subtle art of interpreting the many ways an audience can react to the various announcements that a company makes.

There are the announcements that get loud whoops and hollers from random audience members, as if to say "I recognize and enjoy the game that is a sequel to, and feel the need to let you know this." There are announcements that get late, half-hearted applause, almost out of pity more than anything. There are the announcements that only get a response from the development team sitting in one very specific section of the crowd.

There are announcements that lead to awkward laughter, as if to say "This is the best you've got?" There are those that lead to genuine laughter, as if to say "Oh my god, I can't believe what I just saw!" There are announcements that lead to small gasps and a murmur of confusion throughout the crowd (Sony's infamous "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" moment is one of these).

For all my experience in instant, comparative E3 crowd analysis, though, I was left without a useful reference point of comparison at Sony's press conference this year. That's because the sustained reaction the company got when it announced that the PlayStation 4 would not restrict the resale and sharing of games on discs was, without hyperbole, easily the most overwhelming reaction I have ever seen to any announcement from an E3 audience. The only moment that came close, in my mind, was the unveiling of a new "mature" Legend of Zelda game to the Nintendo faithful in 2004.

Follow the link for further reading...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

PS4 releasing 29 November.
My Steam Screenshots