PS4 Launched!

Anything to do with console gaming goes in here!
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re: PS4 Announced!

Post by GDI_Lord »

Jane, really?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sony-p ... 25094.html
South Korea, South East Asia, South Afrida and India are also suppsed to get the console in December, though Sony hasn't talked about specific release dates for those markets.
Bringing up the rear, a whopping 99 days behind the North American launch, is poor Japan.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: PS4 Launched!

Post by StarBound »

So I got my console, installed the 960GB SSD without much effort, started playing some stuff. A nice console but 3 years behind PC. Let's hope PS5 gets a release in 5 years.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

StarBound wrote:So I got my console, installed the 960GB SSD without much effort, started playing some stuff. A nice console but 3 years behind PC. Let's hope PS5 gets a release in 5 years.
3 Years actually isn't half bad for a console.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Maybe but we aren't talking about 16-bit and 32-bit stuff that just had their own games. With things being as they are it is sad that the consoles are behind from the get go. But atleast there is a good enough gap to work with.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote:it is sad that the consoles are behind from the get go
when have they ever been ahead? :|
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

The PS3 initially provided a LOT of compute power for the money. And *long pause* that was about it.

Oh, and the SNES, MegaDrive, Jaguar & company back in the day. Although once CGA hit South Africa and became affordable it was another story.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

rustypup wrote:
StarBound wrote:it is sad that the consoles are behind from the get go
when have they ever been ahead? :|
Never. But as GDI pointed out a snes or mega drive played games like mortal kombat much better than PC ever could. Even the 32-bit era had games run better, eg tomb raider and resident evil, until 3dfx jumped into the ring and changed things towards PC forever.

The PS3/360 could play games nearly on par with PC on their release and while AC4/NFS Rivals are great on PS4, BF4 is solidly better on PC. I would say if your just going to buy games then a PS4 is a good way to go.

However if you want the best indie games a PC is definitely the way to go ...atleast until the PS4 really opens up.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote:The PS3/360 could play games nearly on par with PC on their release
our concern should be that these bottom end platforms start to retard tech development...

name one game in the last 5/8 years that actually challenged your hardware?
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Consoles are almost twice as efficient as a PC with the same hardware, says Carmack on twitter. I think I could believe that.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

D3PART3D wrote:Consoles are almost twice as efficient as a PC with the same hardware, says Carmack on twitter. I think I could believe that.
carmack hates PC users because we laughed at him and said naughty things about daikatana.... he ceased being relevant a billion years ago..

console product isn't any more efficient... if anything, it's worse. just because they use every trick in the book, (static vs rendered), doesn't say anything about efficiency. says a great deal about platform constraints.

console product is almost universally rubbish tech-wise. content-wise as well, but that's another story...

on an unrelated topic, not only do you twit, but you follow JC? :lol:
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

rustypup wrote:name one game in the last 5/8 years that actually challenged your hardware?
The Last of Us would crush my 6670 under it's beautifully heeled boot. On that note, however, I was pleasantly surprised that *IT CAN PLAY CRYSIS* with full everything at 1280 x 1024 (the max res of my monitor.)

Regarding what JC says, I think that some minor hardware architecture differences might help coding and efficiency a tad, but mostly having a fixed target to aim at would really help. That, however, is also the problem, the hardware is fixed, no upgrading later.
rustypup wrote:not only do you twit
Yea, I doth tweet.
rustypup wrote:but you follow JC?
See the last line in my sig. :wink:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I'll subscribe to the theory that the console equivalent hardware runs better because programming is hardware specific vs a PC that has a translator like direct x or opengl. The only game that crushed my pc was crysis. Considering the hardware I have nothing is standing against it but even so the likes of Unreal Tournament 2003 and Doom 3 looked at the top of the range PCs and brought them to their knees.

If you feel like really being concerned then consider the following: The PS4 has 8gb ram of which 4.5GB is open to developers for games and that 4.5GB is split between graphics and game code. 4GB is a lot to work with but imagine what could be possible with 8-16gb of code memory and 4gb for graphics.

However the past year has proven that tech counts for *****. The best game is out on the wii u, the 3ds had some stellar games and indie was undeniably good this year. Even GTA5 had to be scaled down to fit the mass market. What could have been done if they had 8x the memory and twice the processing power.
My Steam Screenshots

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

StarBound wrote:What could have been done if they had 8x the memory and twice the processing power.
What would keep you from buying a PC if the new consoles were twice the price they are now?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Hman wrote:
StarBound wrote:What could have been done if they had 8x the memory and twice the processing power.
What would keep you from buying a PC if the new consoles were twice the price they are now?
If they consoles were double the price now and on par with my current PC I would probably not buy a new PC for atleast 5 years.
My Steam Screenshots

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Maybe you would buy a console at that price, but the mass market?

The right answer is no.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It seems if you waited for the initial release rush and its price to drop you might have to wait longer ...much longer.

SA received shipment of the PS4 that was released on the 13th of December and instantly sold out. Between the 20th and 31st of December you would still have been able to get some of the 20ths shipment and some of the cancelled double pre-orders. Currently the consoles next ETA is around 4 April. Even more bad news is with the Rands value dropping on a daily basis the console is currently retailing at R6799, a R500 increase from its initial R6299 release price.

The future of the PS4 is by no means bleak but for those who purchased it the lack of numbers of the console currently in the country and the exchange rate fluctuation might just kill off the first year of the consoles release. Buying the games digitally is an option but these games already carry a 20% price premium over the retail versions and cannot be traded in.

Compared to the PS2 launching at R4400, the PS3 launching at R6600, the PS4 launch might just be the worst console launch in SA history due to the economic environment.
My Steam Screenshots

Molean

Post by Molean »

The FNB deal went live yesterday for R359 x24 months(R8616) including 2 controllers and 2 games (Knack + Injustice), only 100 in stock and already sold out. I went for the deal and got an sms today saying that my order will be processed and will keep me updated...so here is holding thumbs :)

Pretty decent deal if you ask me, the games may not be the greatest, but I am happy they aren't FPS.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

There is definitely a demand for the system but it is the price that is bothering people. I suppose if they had the ability to play PS3 games and maybe upscale them or run them faster than they currently do demand for the system would be off the charts.

Japan is getting their launch this month. But we still don't have a decent sized library of games and the first noticeable one is Infamous Second Son coming out 20 March.

But good luck and fingers crossed.
My Steam Screenshots

Molean

Post by Molean »

Just received my confirmation SMS that my order has been put through (with ref number) and a courier service will be getting a hold of me shortly :) WOOT!
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sweet, heard they got more applications than stock just on the PS4. Considering the exchange and stuff, this isn't a bad deal. Just get PSN+ to keep you busy through the year while waiting for games to be released.
My Steam Screenshots

Molean

Post by Molean »

Shot a lot!

Apparently delivery will take place on Wednesday or Thursday :D
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So are you the proud owner of a PS4 yet or is that still down the pipe line?
My Steam Screenshots

Molean

Post by Molean »

Received a call from Digital Planet yesterday asking me for my address, so should be any day now :)
Molean

Post by Molean »

Got it :D Now for home time...
Molean

Post by Molean »

Really liking the console...clean easy GUI...still limited for the moment in regards to content, but that will change 10 fold given some time...scored Outlast for free, so keen to give that a whirl once it has downloaded :) I wanna get Resogun, but wondering if it is worth the buy...going for 200smackeroos at the mo...

I love how I can use the PSN app on my S3 to see how my DL's are running, purchase a game and set it to DL without even being at home :) great lil features like this really make the console stand out.