Soul Calibur 5

Anything to do with console gaming goes in here!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Soul Calibur 5

Post by StarBound »

Consoles were made for fighting games when you didn't feel like entering an arcade and getting interrupted by every 2nd person wanting to play the same game. This series was one of my favourite that started on the playstation over a decade ago. My how things have changed.

If your not familiar with Soul Calibur it is a fighting game set in 3d arenas where the combatants all wield some type of weapon with their own fighting style. The story focuses on 2 swords, Soul Edge an evil entity in the form of a sword bent on chaos death and destruction, and Soul Calibur the "good" entity in the form of a sword with the sole purpose of destroying Soul Edge even if it means killing and destroying everything in the way to do so.

I loved the game back in the day when Tekken and Virtual Fighter were at each others throats. Playing a game with weapon vs weapon was much more entertaining. The environments were platforms with stunning back drops and awesome music. The see-sawing stage with a harbour and buildings were especially lovely. Sadly the series didn't keep up.

SC5 is set 17 years after SC4 ends. The game has 1 story mode that cycles thru the 2 main characters fights and 1 other character that gets 3 fights in the 20 episode/battle campaign. The arcade mode is straight forward an arcade mode. No extra story is attached to it like the previous games.

The game relies heavy on character creation as it is the only feature that adds anything to the game.

Weapon master mode has been removed (or rename, I haven't found it yet), arcade plus mode from SC2 doesn't seem present, the naming for most of the modes and options leaves you with a scratched head.

The best part is that the critical finishers from SC4 are gone and replaced with critical edge moves that are triggered like any fighting game with a power bar.

All an all I miss many of the things that I loved from the game as it started the series, but less and less as the game progressed. If you are a Soul Calibur fan you might want to give this a try. But if your looking for 1 game to rule them all you will have a better time with Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue or King of Fighters 13.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RiaX

Re: Soul Calibur 5

Post by RiaX »

I didnt enjoy blazblue much TBH still it's a brilliant game

The problem I have at the moment is that fighting games are simply not worth the top dollar you have to pay for then 599 699 ? That's a bit much fr weakly presented storylines that are brief. Even though I think the storyline of the soul caliber series is amazing I still feel its insufficient to pay so much if u just hunting a single player experience, sad in the old days fighting games would provide hours of entertainment.

I get this feeling that some thing is missing in new generation fighting games even in the reboot o he 2d genre... Is it just me ?
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

The games are definitely easier and the hit detection is much, MUCH improved. I bought the MK arcade collection on xbox and playing those again just makes you realize how far we have come since those early incarnations. But yes the X factor is no longer there but it comes down to either over played fitege or that nothing really new has come to the table.

There are the cheaper alternatives via psn/xbl downloads. The biggest problem is I don't like playing online and we use to play vs modes when me and my bro were younger.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Thats the thing about the gaming industry they focus too much on multiplayer and don't leave much for the single player anymore it's very rare to see in depth games with good multiplayer and single player experience it's and either or package now a days