PlayStation3 or Xbox360?

Anything to do with console gaming goes in here!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

PlayStation3 or Xbox360?

Post by D3PART3D »

The landscape has changed quite a bit since this question was last asked. Exclusives are no longer exclusives, the Bluray / HD-DVD war is over, there are the big E3 announcements... I'm leaning pretty strongly towards getting a xbox.

People are saying that the PS3 is more future-proof though, is that true? Is it beefier in a way that counts?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: PlayStation3 or Xbox360?

Post by StarPhoenix »

Short answer:get the platform which has the games you want to play most.

[Well, that is the approach which makes the most sense to me. I would think it silly to buy the machine with the most powerful
hardware but precious little in its software line-up which interested me.]

Read up on some of the best games each platfrom has to offer, take a look at will be coming out in the next two years and calculate how much it will cost
you to buy and use each machine.You are planning on buying second hand games, aren't you? :wink:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

SP, the main titles I want to play are on both platforms, that's what's making this so difficult! If Tekken, Final Fantasy and Resident Evil were still PlayStation exclusives, I'd buy a PS3 without thinking twice!

Your point on readily available 2nd hand games makes sense, there are far more people with an xbox... although I don't play that many games for saving money on the few games I do play to be a major bonus.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Do both platforms have titles you want to play?

How badly would you take it if you were to buy one of the "Jasper" Xboxes only to find out 2 months later that PS3 had several "must-play" exclusives arriving within the next 6 months, and vice versa for a given value of PS3.

If the formerly exclusive games are available on both consoles, take a risk on spending your savings on the cheaper one [which would be the Xbox 360] If you find that you do not like playing games on Microsoft's console, you can always blaim me for your purchase and sell it.
dawid22
G3AR Head of Digital

Post by dawid22 »

StarPhoenix is spot-on, it's all about the games (and seeing that you're after the secondhand market the 360 offers you an abundance of options). If the games are multi-platform then the next thing you look at is what the hardware offers.

I personally prefer the 360 purely because it is superior when looking at the online aspects, however, we all know what the PROD stand for. I'm on my second 360 at this point because of hardware failure... but I'm also on my second PS3 because of BluRay failure (Oh, believe me, the PS3 ain't as invincible as some may believe it is.) Should you own a decent LCD and might look at Blu Ray in the future then the PS3 is an obvious choice.)

After the latest E3 it is obvious that MS is pushing the 360 with online developments integrating Facebook and Twitter and also pioneering interaction with project Natal, while Sony showed some impressive titles, but nothing really jaw-dropping.

Saying all that, my two favourite games in the world (Metal Gear Solid 4 and Wipeout HD) are both PS3 exclusive. So, it's up to you to decide on the games and, secondly, what you are going to use the hardware for. If you're never going to buy a Blu Ray player for your PC then the PS3 might just be the way to go.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Well personally because I prefer the 360 over PS3 I'd say go for 360.Sony's library is starting to expand now where M$ already had 'must have' titles.Both consoles are great but I guess it depends on which one you can afford.Most games are multiplat nowadays anyway and you wouldnt be missing out.If you go for a 360 get a jasper.My dvd drive is already effing up. :lol: .
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Get a Wii and forget about the titles you can buy on your pc :P

PS3 is still more expensive on the hardware and software sides. I think xbox has its first virus or something already released :P

I cant really compare the 2 because my memory from having a xbox 360 is that of 2 RRoD and a not so complete library. Both share the mainstream games and both look near identical with one having less load time ect. Just like before your choice lands on exclusive titles. Halo 3 and Gears 2 is out for the xbox. MGS4 and Killzone 2 is out for the PS3. Street Fighter 4, Soul Calibur 4, DBZ BL, RE4 are out on both consoles.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I would say the PS3 but then I am not an expert. I have not played XBox either :lol: but have the PS3 and love it.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

PS3 cos i'm in love with Gran Turismo
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

PS3 has won it for me over the xbox and it's based on a few things.
it's quieter, more features and has GT5. It's pig ugly but it doesn't need to be seen.

I would buy one if I could and I hate SONY.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

RiaX

Post by RiaX »

I got both a xbox and a ps3 and my opinion on the matter is simple.

PS3, because its a superior all round multimedia system. Also you wont have to worry about rings of death which has happend to me for my xbox.

In terms of cost, yes the ps3 is more expensive but the games are the same price as that of an xbox maybe a R50 difference here and there.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Don't be fooled by thinking that the Xbox is a much cheaper option. The PS3 comes with almost everything you need out of the box, whereas the 360 is near defunct without a hardrive, wireless controller, etc.

Hardware wise, without a shadow of a doubt, the PS3 is pure peace of mind.
Hardware support for both consoles is rubbish.

Software wise, it depends on the proverbial 'what you want', though, that seems to be contentious for you. Why don't you give a run down of games that you like and perhaps some of us may guide you. I know a number of people who will be buying a PS3 just for the new Team ICO game, The Last Guardian.
Also, importing games is nearly as cheap as buying 2nd hand games locally. Another point is that 2nd hand titles are equally available on both platforms. The local PS3 forums and 360 forums are titans that could go head to head in an even match.
The PS3 is also region free. So, as you might know, PAL releases usually come last in the case of Final Fantasy releases, inter alia many other games. In that case, you can simply import from America for the same price you'd pay for it locally when it will be released. I recently bought Demon's Souls that hasn't even been released in America yet, and, it has full English support.
Now, in the case of the 360, you'll be forced to wait, even if you mod your console. For example, we will only see Star Ocean on the 19th of this month whereas American gamers have already shelved their copy of the game.
Late releases seriously impact online play of the various games.

Online features are plentiful on the box, though for a scarce online player the PS3 is a better choice as it's free. If online play is going to be the meat of your gaming, get a 360.

My advice, get both even if it's one after the other. It's what I did and both consoles share an equal amount of time without the concern of missing excellent exclusives. Loyalty to one console is as frivolous as it is silly.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Both is such an expensive option
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I'd take that R6000 and dump it straight into my PC :D
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I'd take that R6000 and dump it straight into my PC :D
this doesnt really help the matter of the topic lol
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

RiaX wrote:
Well actually it does. You see I don't see the value in buying a console at all. What I save in prices of games I generally have to pay for upgrades and such but with a PC I can do so much more. Also playing a strategy or FPS on a console is just not my cup of tea. Want a decent gaming platform get a PC and nothing but a PC. So you can already see my advice coming to the front here. I choose the third option. And that would be to stay away from consoles as far as possible.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Consoles has always been your main gaming system. However pc has took the tech field from consoles and consoles in turn has started taking on the multimedia features that made the pc superior to it. Hardware side if you buy a pc now odds are in 2 years you will be replacing something in it. Consoles are 5 years. And with consoles now able to surf the web and store your music the only other feature the pc has is to do your word processing unless your a programmer in which case your no longer comparing its gaming value.

For R6k you get your consoles, controller, drive, os ect. For 6k in pc terms you get a high end gfx card. Now start adding the other hardware and you might make up for the cost of the tv screen you need for your console.

I still prefer a ps3 to a xbox. Xbox is closer to the pc which also kinda makes it easier to find xbox exclusives on the pc a few years down the line more likely than ps3 exclusives to the pc. How you get to run it however is up to MS.

I am lucky to have a pc and 2 of the 3 current consoles. PC, PS3 and Xbox is in direct compitition with each other while Wii stand on its own in the middel of nowhere. Exclusivity isnt always a bad thing but I dont want to own all the systems in the world just so I can play 3 titles which is only found on each platform. However thats the way things are and should decide what is more important to you in which order.
My Steam Screenshots

StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

A friend of mine is thinking of ditching PC gaming for the console experience because he says that gaming on consoles is simpler and the DRM measures which have been taken with PCs recently have been driving him up the wall. He also no longer wants to have to spend so much upgrading his PC.

I'll be sticking with PCs for a good while longer though.Wouldn't want to miss out on title like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 or messing about video editing and graphics.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
RiaX wrote:
Well actually it does. You see I don't see the value in buying a console at all. What I save in prices of games I generally have to pay for upgrades and such but with a PC I can do so much more. Also playing a strategy or FPS on a console is just not my cup of tea. Want a decent gaming platform get a PC and nothing but a PC. So you can already see my advice coming to the front here. I choose the third option. And that would be to stay away from consoles as far as possible.
Well that is just a lie. I do almost all my gaming on my Xbox now as I really think it's redundant to spend a lot of money at least once a year to keep your PC up to date. And the second hand game market for consoles is huge and games can easily be had for under R350.

Yesterday I spent ages installing new games where-as with the Xbox I pop the disk in and start playing.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

I only keep a performing pc for fps and rts games not that I play any rts games.My 8800gt can handle most games fine at 1400x900 except for the ultimate tech demo.The rest I play on teh box.No fps and strategy games.Only fps on console I have is Halo.Why upgrade now when dx 11 is around the corner anyway?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I think DRM is on its way out. Not sure though since its been a while since I touched a pc game that doesnt need steam or drm. Either way your screwed. The experiance is up to you though :P
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Thank you to everyone for your input :) Especially ZeroS, whose post set out a good number of points to consider and ultimately led me to make my final decision.

I will be buying a PS3.

- Elon Musk
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

My GF got the 80gig with GT5P and Drakes fortune. Epic bundle and she can play all 250+ of her games now.
We got her an extra controller and the DVD remote.

GT5P isn't GT really but it's good none the less.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I'd take that R6000 and dump it straight into my PC
++..
WiK1d wrote: I do almost all my gaming on my Xbox now
the answer is moot... you are surely aware that the xbox is a pc - albeit a heavily priced/licensed to hell-and-gone pc much given to dying due to random perambulations of cosmic pseduo-matter, but still just a pc...

since the 'other' option is a pc, the answer is simple... PS3 - at least it is a console with possibilities...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel