Interview with CD Projekts CEO on Witcher 2 piracy & DRM

Want to whine about DRM (*cough* StarBound)? Here you go!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Interview with CD Projekts CEO on Witcher 2 piracy & DRM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/29/inter ... -worth-it/
CD Projekt’s CEO on Witcher 2 piracy, why DRM’s still not worth it

Recently, I spoke with Bohemia Interactive’s CEO about the three most reviled letters in the gaming alphabet: D, R, and M. His company has been making waves with tech that slowly renders pirated games unplayable with all manner of obnoxious, sometimes hilarious effects. From where Bohemia’s standing, DRM’s a necessary evil. No one ever said, however, that forcing thieves to pony up couldn’t be worth a laugh or two.

But that’s only one perspective. So, in the wake of the announcement that GOG’s version of Witcher 2 made a sizable stack of real, non-Monopoly money without any sort of DRM weighing it down, I decided to get in touch with CD Projekt. Read on for CEO and co-founder Marcin Iwinski’s thoughts on DRM schemes like Bohemia’s, why we should get rid of DRM altogether, how many Witcher 2 copies were pirated, and how piracy can even occasionally be beneficial.

Follow the link for the full interview. However this comment alone has reinforced my decision to buy games from GOG.
Still, DRM does not work and however you would protect it, it will be cracked in no time. Plus, the DRM itself is a pain for your legal gamers – this group of honest people, who decided that your game was worth the 50 USD or Euro and went and bought it. Why would you want to make their lives more difficult?
I so wish the other studios would see this.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Interview with CD Projekts CEO on Witcher 2 piracy & DRM

Post by StarBound »

Yar Pirates will pirate.

Have you heard the one coming from Runic on Torchlight 2? Don't have the link but can link the site itself. The jist of it was they make the game for the people who buys the game. Piracy is a problem but it shouldn't penalize the honest consumer.

But then again we already established that DRM isnt to curb piracy, its to stop legit buyers from playing their games 5 years later.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Sony and Microsoft reward publishers with huge cash bonuses for titles that sell well on their consoles (I hear). The conspiracy theory is that DRM, PC version bugs and release delays are all an effort to drive PC gamers to consoles for the extra $$$, and it has nothing to do with piracy or development issues.

Doesn't sound crazy at all considering.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

If you can prove it then both MS and Sony can be slapped with business malpractice. MS still have a way out with Windows though while Sony won't see the light of day. I could see Apple taking over with steam as an add-on app.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.