EA Origins Service: Stealing ALL your info...

Want to whine about DRM (*cough* StarBound)? Here you go!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

EA Origins Service: Stealing ALL your info...

Post by Anakha56 »

http://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/13634-Ori ... ately.html
EA Origin wants to know your PC, intimately

Origin EULA clause whips up a stir of privacy concerns
A storm has been brewing regarding some clauses contained in the End User License Agreement (EULA) of EA’s new Origin digital distribution portal/insidious corporate data snatching malware.

Gamers around the web have been going over the lengthy Origin EULA, and section 2 has raised some serious concerns. EA wants Origin users to consent to collection and use of data in very broad terms. While it’s not uncommon for games and their related platforms to track gaming related data (Steam immediately comes to mind, as it tracks user's hardware and Steam usage), the Origin EULA appears to be worded so that users are consenting to let EA poke about on every area of their computers. Obviously the privacy implications are tremendous if this is the case.

Some of the more concerning portions of section 2 of the Origin EULA:
You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services.

EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you.
So at this point it reads as if EA can gather up information on absolutely every app and piece of hardware you use, and there is no real clarity on how far this privacy invasion extends. To top it off, they will sell this information on the third parties for marketing purposes. Don’t forget they will have your details when you signed up for the Origin service. All this wonderful ‘enhanced service’ will be your pleasure to pay for as well, since gamers will require Origin to play upcoming EA titles, such as the highly anticipated Battlefield 3.

The EULA does provide an alternative option however, lovingly laid out in capital letters:
IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN
THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.
No Origin equals no Battlefield 3, a rather disheartening decision. Finally, section 2 ends off by stating:
This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA’s Privacy Policy located at http://www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA’s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.
Goodbye Battlefield 3 and future releases on EA Origin...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: EA Origins Service: Stealing ALL your info...

Post by Ron2K »

I gave up on EA ages ago...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Dead Space? Mirror's Edge? Certain NFS games? Crysis and Crysis Warhead? Can't imagine being a PC gamer without EA. I don't know if indie games are enough. This is terrible. :(

I LOVED YOU EA, AND THIS IS WHAT I GET IN RETURN!

I bet they'll edit the EULA though.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Is there any kind of reverse hacking software? That when they start collecting your data you send a little something in between the lines that wipes or destroys the server?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Can you imagine a PC without Ubisoft? You can imagine a PC without EA. I don't think that I even have any EA software on my PC ATM actually. Real life will eventually intrude into your gaming life dude.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

StarBound wrote:Is there any kind of reverse hacking software? That when they start collecting your data you send a little something in between the lines that wipes or destroys the server?
I love this cartoon...

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

GDI_Lord wrote:Can you imagine a PC without Ubisoft? You can imagine a PC without EA. I don't think that I even have any EA software on my PC ATM actually. Real life will eventually intrude into your gaming life dude.
As a fine wine is wasted on a drunkard, so too is a fine game wasted on the casual gamer. He consumes but he does not comprehend. :|

lol... but in all seriousness GDI, I really do love gaming. I'm a hobbyist gamer who likes to nerd out on design and such. Telling me to give it up for "real life" (what the heck is that?) is like telling a bookworm to do without his books.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

PSN was hacked, EA is doing it legally. Wanna set up a comparrison sheet between EA and anon? :P
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

You'll see what real life is. Give it time...
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Would it have been as bad if our pcs only had games with no office/banking/password data ect? Because as far as ps3 goes they can check what games I am playing and how I am doing in the game and I am fine with it. But come pc with my battle.net account and steam account and all that I am not too happy that anyone can scan files and program usage at all.
My Steam Screenshots

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Might have something to do with the fact that PC stands for Personal Computer.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DICE-B ... 13590.html

So you find yourself on the side where you are the victim of a wallhack or aimbot. You never know if that person gets banned. But then you stumble apon something that no CoD game has done. An enlarged player roster. But wait! Your banned because it was in between all the EA servers? And now all your EA games tied to the account has been banned to? Fantastic!

If there was ever a reason to switch from paid for EA games to the freely avalible versions found on the net now is the best time to do so. There are no licensing to agree to, no accounts that can be banned, your paid games wont stop working and best of all you wont be supporting a company that insist its untouchable with your money.

But read the article. Post your feelings. As far as I am concerned this had to be one of the most stupid ban threats ever. It makes Activision look like saints.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

My Steam Screenshots

Ashlee Smith

Post by Ashlee Smith »

StarBound wrote:Would it have been as bad if our pcs only had games with no office/banking/password data ect? Because as far as ps3 goes they can check what games I am playing and how I am doing in the game and I am fine with it. But come pc with my battle.net account and steam account and all that I am not too happy that anyone can scan files and program usage at all.
Hey what server u play on www.war3.co.za??
System -->
Spoiler (show)
Intel Pentium E5400 2.7 ghz O.C at 3.3ghz
Intel heatsink.
2 gigs 800 mhz ram
320 gb Sata 2 Hard drive
450 Watt xgr Psu
Liteon Dvd Super Rw
MSI R6670 1gig GDDR5 O.C at 860 mhz 1050mhz 8)
1x 8 cm Red Cooler Master Fan
1x 12cm Green Cooler Master Fan