Ubisoft considers always-on DRM "a success"

Want to whine about DRM (*cough* StarBound)? Here you go!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Ubisoft considers always-on DRM "a success"

Post by Ron2K »

PCGamer wrote:We recently reported on how Driver: San Francisco will require a constant internet connection to play. It’s a controversial measure put in place to defend against piracy, and we don’t like it. We don’t like pirates either, mind.

Ubisoft see the DRM as a success. Speaking to us earlier today, a Ubisoft representative admitted that the developer has seen “a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success”.
Full article

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Ubisoft considers always-on DRM "a success"

Post by Hman »

I bet they see a clear reduction in legitimate players playing their games as well, they just choose to ignore it.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Maybe we are looking at it the wrong way. If its not US or EU they don't care. So if you want to pirate their game they wont care. You fall under the 0.3% that they don't care for anyway. It's like going on a hunger strike while everyone else is enjoying a buffet.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

StarBound wrote:Maybe we are looking at it the wrong way. If its not US or EU they don't care. So if you want to pirate their game they wont care. You fall under the 0.3% that they don't care for anyway. It's like going on a hunger strike while everyone else is enjoying a buffet.
LOL. :lol: I like that picture
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
IcePick88

Re: How to ruin your game's PC port

Post by IcePick88 »

Ubisoft claims this is a win for the company. It has seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success," a company representative told PC Gamer.
Did they also see the same amount or more sales along with the reduction in piracy? If you sell fewer games, then you will have fewer piracy cases as well.....
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Considering I have not bought a Ubisoft game since they have implemented it and it has saved me a lot of money yes it has been on hell of a success... :roll:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Ron2K wrote:....... the developer has seen “a clear reduction in piracy sales of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success failure”.
Now that is more like it :lol:

Ubisoft are such chops, how can always on DRM be a success :? . The only reason why piracy might be reduced by this is because not even the pirates feel like wasting their time on the garbage that Ubisoft produces
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

And just for interest's sake, this scheme of Ubi has already been cracked in the past. So I'm not so sure about the source of their info.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Considering Blizzard has almost always online games and now with Diablo 3 its hard to argue against this. I still feel its intrusive. Just be glad they don't sell anal probs that you have to buy and use every time you want to play your games.

That way they can say "go **** yourselves" literary.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

If only DRM could be made illegal :lol: But that wont happen :x
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

There is no way DRM could be made illegal UNLESS you can prove that it is taking data from your system without you knowing about it. Then it can be classified as information theft. I believe in the US there could be 50 years jail time for it depending on the state?

I'm looking at the current Steam specials for quakecon and see that Fallout New Vegas only uses steamworks. Same with DoW2 Retribution it has dropped GFWL. So there is hope that both Skyrim and Rage will only use Steam.

Let me make it clear... or rather restate it, I HATE DRM IN ALL FORMS. My reasons for being ok with steam is I have uncapped at a high price and a fast connection. Without those 2 in place I wouldnt have a game library of 80+ games. Next is if you have to choose an evil, dump them in the same camp. XBL, PSN, Steam. Steam is the service for PC no matter what EA thinks about origin, no matter what MS thinks about GFWL that I've heard logs your xbox out when you use the same details on pc. Battle.net... Blizzards gaming service. I'd prefer they have their own launcher because it is on a different level than Steam.

Steam is great for getting all those games that you wouldn't buy at R200-400 and get them at a reduced price of R50 of less. So if nothing else I got to play games I would never have looked at otherwise.
My Steam Screenshots