DRM targeted buyers, never pirates

Want to whine about DRM (*cough* StarBound)? Here you go!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

DRM targeted buyers, never pirates

Post by StarBound »

And so it came to pass to the point where it was clear. DRM was never meant to stop or slow piracy. It was meant to control the legit buyers usage. And here it is in the history:

Half-life 2
- needs steam
- that needs an online account
- that when cant connect and looses login details (oh so often) renders the game unplayable.
The hacked/cracked version had AI that got disabled but could be re-enable with a simple command. (also take note sin episodes ep1 had a part where the AI died even in the legit game)

Bioshock/Mass Effect/Spore
- Intrusive drm (classed either as virus or rootkit)
- limited installs
- limited activations
- needs to be online to install
Interestingly enough you have to choice of getting the free hacked edition and a possible spyware or virus OR you could go for the paid version that effectively does the same.

Games for Windows Live
- binds game to online profile
- must have persistant connection to save games
Just because Steam isnt enough you need to log into another program to get to play your game. If you decline wanting to create and account then you will be thrown into an endless loop where you cannot exit the game until you get a connection and an account.

Command & Conquer 4/Ubisoft AC and silent hunter
- Persistant internet
Don't be fooled these games are so dependant on an permanent online connection that it is like life support.

Online Pass (consoles)
- One time code allowing you to access multiplayer features
It is what it is. While ps3 has been hacked its mostly xbox 360 games that get around this.

Capcom RE Mercenaries 3D 3DS
- perminant single save file grafted into game card
The next evolution to "protecting" the game is by ensuring you get a single play thru, no restart, no sell after (unless the next guy doesnt want to restart). There is no more relation to piracy in this one.

At the moment the safest and least restrictive way to play your games are sadly to get hacked versions of them. It is a real shame that an industry that was once on the breaking point due to piracy is now attacking its hand that feeds it to get back at the flee thats been sucking blood off it for a good decade. Just wondering how long it will be before its being put down.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Sojourn

Re: DRM targeted buyers, never pirates

Post by Sojourn »

Most if not all games will have some flavor of online authentication going forward.
I do not see that changing, nor do I see it negatively affecting sales much.
At the moment the safest and least restrictive way to play your games are sadly to get hacked versions of them.
How exactly is playing a hacked game in single player non-online mode "least restrictive" ?
And what is so safe about it?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

If only they would realise that DRM(STEAM) is one of the biggest causes of piracy. I would rather get a pirate copy of a game than have to struggle with steam for hours just so I can play a game. And I am not the only one who feels this way.

But some DRM systems are fine, take Crysis 2 for example all you have to do is type in your key and 2 seconds later the game is activated and you can go and play :) .

I try to get the proper legal and original copy of the game, but Steam is really making me think twice about that :x
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

THE_STIG wrote: But some DRM systems are fine, take Crysis 2 for example all you have to do is type in your key and 2 seconds later the game is activated and you can go and play :) .
:laughing3: :laughing5:

Your one of the lucky few. I've had to redo my serial key every time I wanted to play Crysis 2 MP on the first patch. Luckly a week later it was fixed. Other people I played with complained about not able to connect ect ect ect.

Steams value lies in you can make full back ups of games simply by copying its data folder then remove the game and paste it back then click install to update the missing files. Not to mention those specials that are $2-3 gives a lot more entertainment value than most R350 retail games.

I didn't include battle.net but it has the same issues.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea, I guess so. I have never had any problems with Crysis 2 whilst playing online.

I know steam has some good specials but going to the shops and paying R400 for a game and then having to download a massive patch of a few Gb's is just not fair. And those who have the pirate copy of the game just install and play(there are patches involved I think).

I dont mind having to activate a game online, but having to download huge updates before you can even start the game is a bit much especially here in SA.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well if everything was via steam and just activated, not updated, just activated it would have been almost perfect. A single platform for launching your game rather than 3-5-20 different launchers and platforms. But sadly Steam still needs to go thru GFWL, ubisoft servers ect.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea Ubisoft seem to be trying to get us to stop buying their games, wow but their DRM is bad :shock:

I just hope that the game developers realise that their harsh DRM system are the biggest cause of piracy, they should reward those who purchase the proper game. Not torture us :cry:
Prime

Post by Prime »

You're forgetting one important point...These games were designed for the largest market...which is not in Africa.

Internet access is cheap overseas...and fast.

Oh and reliable...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ yes I know, but I even if I lived there I still would not want to have to be logged into steam whenever I want to play.

And fast internet will not solve having an activation limit. My crysis warhead no longer works because of that(but I found away around its DRM :twisted: )
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

StarBound wrote:DRM was never meant to stop or slow piracy. It was meant to control the legit buyers usage.
While I might not agree with that statement, DRM has probably caused a substantial increase in piracy, not a decrease.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Digital Redistribution Management... yeah that sounds more like the appropriate name for it. Piracy or not DRM has become an greater issue for me. As soon as I started accepting steam the next one is jumping the line. Password management and e-mail allocations are becoming messy. I don't neccessarily want to give X my e-mail so I start giving different e-mails. Unless you keep a notebook near you your not going to remember the account details for every individual game out there.

I've had to recover my UT3 details 5 or 6 times now already. I don't even remember my crysis 2 details. Steam I remembered my password as I was about to hit the recovery button.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ exactly, it is becoming such a pain to actually play any games. I am seriously giving piracy a thought now. It is sad just how full of crap pc game developers are becoming
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Even consoles are following that path. I have a psn account linked to my games. That should be more than enough to log into any dlc content.
My Steam Screenshots