Piracy in general

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
rustypup

Re: Piracy

Post by rustypup »

wired wrote:A federal judge has dismissed the music industry contention that when a cellphone’s ringtone begins playing, copyright infringement starts happening since others can hear the song, essentially arguing that a mobile phone is a portable concert hall.
<..>
ASCAP was suing AT&T and Verizon in a New York federal court, seeking more revenue for its members.

But U.S. District Judge Denise Cote wrote Wednesday that “ASCAP has not shown any infringement of its members’ rights by the playing of ringtones in the public from Verizon’s customer’s telephones.”
:/...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

Ohkay..

I'm sticking to good ole nokia standard ringtones from now on.. I kinda don't have the money to be sued!!
And hence they'd send me to prison.. can't use my bedroom eyes there.. noooooo!
d0d0

Post by d0d0 »

We'll pretend like you never said that. - The Rat

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

d0d0 wrote:True, I have a lot of pirated songs on my phone. :\
d0d0, I suggest you read THE RULES before you get yourself banned
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
d0d0

Post by d0d0 »

What did I do? :?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

d0d0 wrote:What did I do? :?

Read THIS
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

The Star wrote:Chet Baker was a leading jazz musician in the 1950s, playing trumpet and providing vocals.
<..>
His estate, which still owns the copyright in more than 50 of his works, is part of a massive class-action lawsuit that has been underway for the past year.

The infringer has effectively already admitted owing at least $50 million and the full claim could exceed $60 billion. If the dollars don't shock, the target of the lawsuit undoubtedly will: The defendants in the case are Warner Music Canada, Sony BMG Music Canada, EMI Music Canada, and Universal Music Canada, the four primary members of the Canadian Recording Industry Association.
:lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

WinRAR
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Karma at work. I hope they succeed.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
psychotic_savage

Post by psychotic_savage »

Pwned
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz LGA1156 \\ XFX Radeon HD5870XXX Edition \\ Asus P7P55D IP55 Motherboard \\ Corsair DDR3-1600 4GB (2x2GB) XMS3 DHX CL9 Memory Module Kit \\ 2x 250gig Sata 2x 160gig Sata\\ Win 7 Ent 64bit \\ Samsung 26" wide-screen LCD
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

On the note of being pwned...

Ironic or Moronic ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ift1ul5_294&NR=1
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

ADT

Post by ADT »

Sooo i browsed the interwebs the other day and came across this site called, piratebay.org...kamma the place where all the pirates hang-out :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ADT wrote:Sooo i browsed the interwebs the other day and came across this site called, piratebay.org...kamma the place where all the pirates hang-out :lol:
dude... afraid to break it to you, but this site is notorious. Founders were involved in a major court battle last year. they lost.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

ADT wrote:Sooo i browsed the interwebs the other day and came across this site called, piratebay.org.
kamma the place where all the pirates hang-out :lol:
You are slipping into a dangerous area, we do not like any advertising nor piracy promotion in any form. :evil:
ADT

Post by ADT »

lancelot wrote:
ADT wrote:Sooo i browsed the interwebs the other day and came across this site called, piratebay.org.
kamma the place where all the pirates hang-out :lol:
You are slipping into a dangerous area, we do not like any advertising nor piracy promotion in any form. :evil:

Dude, I was just kidding, i am quite familiar with the rules and and all now, thanks to Stu :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

It didn't take very long: Ubisoft DRM Servers Go Down.

Hopefully, this is a wake-up call for the developers and publishers, as well as the not so tech-savvy customers that bought games like this.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

cworld wrote:Copyright holders have given up legal efforts to force Norwegian ISP Telenor to block filesharing site The Pirate Bay, one of the parties to the case said.
<..>
Telenor has throughout this process maintained that there is no legal basis for any ISP to act in the interests of digital intellectual property rights holders by blocking individual websites. ISPs blocking sites doesn't solve the problem of illegal file sharing, it just moves the problem elsewhere, according to Telenor.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tom's Hardware wrote:Speaking at a recent press conference, Agnete Haaland, the president of the International Actors' Federation, said that the word 'piracy' is too adventurous and reminds people of Johnny Depp.

"We should change the word piracy," Haaland said. "To me, piracy is something adventurous, it makes you think about Johnny Depp. We all want to be a bit like Johnny Depp. But we're talking about a criminal act. We're talking about making it impossible to make a living from what you do."
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

shiv

Post by shiv »

Ubisoft's latest stunt with its recent Prince Of Persia game is to request data from the server for certain actions like opening levers. doors, etc.
Well this was already cracked...
When will they learn??
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

MyBB published an article about piracy this week.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/general/1 ... -copy.html
Under South African law there is no such thing as "fair use," so when is it legal to make copies of copyrighted work?

The concept of fair use doesn't exist in South African law, says the legal lead of Creative Commons South Africa, Dr Tobias Schonwetter.

What we do have in South Africa is fair dealing. Schonwetter describes it as "a similar, yet considerably narrower concept that allows certain dealings with copyright materials without the permission of the rights holder."

Schonwetter explained that fair dealing allows the use of a literary, musical and artistic work, as well as broadcasts and published editions for the purposes of research and private study, personal and private use, criticism and reviews, as well as reporting of current events.

When it comes to movies, sound recordings and computer programs, however, the private use exception doesn't apply.

"Another provision in [the Copyright Act of 1978] states that back-up copies of computer programs may usually be made for personal and private purposes as long as one lawfully possesses the original of the program," added Schonwetter.

The big question is what constitutes fair dealing, and what constitutes copyright infringement?

"There is no simple answer to this question," says Schonwetter. "If it comes to the amount that is copied, I always suggest that the person copying the work asks him/herself whether it is really necessary for the purposes described previously to copy that much," he added.

South African courts have not yet decided on the issue of what counts as fair dealing for personal and private use, explained Schonwetter. He suggested that it may be helpful to look at what courts in other jurisdictions that operate under similar fair dealing legislation have done.

Schonwetter went on to list the six factors Australian courts have used to detemine whether a "dealing" is fair:

The purpose of the dealing;
The character of the dealing;
The amount of the dealing;
Alternatives to the dealing;
The nature of the work; and
The effect of the dealing on the work.
"So the scope of fair dealing is to be decided on a case by case basis,” Schonwetter summarised. “In most cases, copying an entire work is unnecessary and therefore illegal. But there are instances where copying an entire work can be legitimate."

Referring to previous discussions regarding the copyright on sound recordings, Schonwetter prefixes everything with a final warning: "Please be extra careful when it comes to music."

Lance Michalson from Michalsons Attorneys puts it succinctly: "While copying music may not infringe the copyright of the artists, it will always infringe the copyright of the recording studio." According to both Schonwetter and Michalson this is because recorded music is protected in two ways: As musical works and as sound recordings.

Michalson goes on to explain that this is the default (and most common) position of artists and recording studios, but that they can easily change the terms of the licence. "This is why it is important to know what your licence for the music contains," he said.

Both the Recording Industry of South Africa (RiSA) and Michalson say that people shouldn't be too worried about making personal copies for private use of music they already own licenses to. "It is our understanding that the relevant authorities are more concerned with those who sell pirated music to the public," said Michalson.

RiSA has previously stated that it's not interested in pursuing consumers who find themselves on the wrong side of the law for format shifting.
So does this mean that we can share and download TV shows that guys in the US and UK have recorded on to their PCs? DVD piracy is illegal but does anyone have any clarification on TV shows?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Prime

Post by Prime »

It's always been a gray area. for years people recorded tv shows to watch later or rewatch on their vcr's. What's the difference between recording a movie from tv to watch at a later stage and downloading it, assuming it's been broadcast on tv? Is fair use watching it once and deleting it? Given that advertising pays for the broadcast, is it wrong to skip advertising on a recording?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

arstechnica wrote:Switzerland, a longtime haven for all kinds of financial shenanigans, has just expanded its reputation for "discretion" to cover file-sharing as well. That's the conclusion of Logistep AG, anyway, as a Swiss court has just gutted its P2P surveillance business with a ruling that says gathering even publicly available information is illegal.
yaar....