Pirate Bay Moves to The Cloud, Becomes Raid-Proof

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Pirate Bay Moves to The Cloud, Becomes Raid-Proof

Post by Stuart »

The Pirate Bay has made an important change to its infrastructure. The world’s most famous BitTorrent site has switched its entire operation to the cloud. From now on The Pirate Bay will serve its users from several cloud hosting providers scattered around the world. The move will cut costs, ensure better uptime, and make the site virtually invulnerable to police raids — all while keeping user data secure.

Read more
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Pirate Bay Moves to The Cloud, Becomes Raid-Proof

Post by StarBound »

Please tell me where the hell the cloud is? Because my understanding of the cloud is it is still a server somewhere that hosts data for everyone with data pulling on demand.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

"Cloud" is a useless buzzword.

Essentially PB now dont host their site in one location that can be easily raided.
They have many hosts spread out all over the globe - but most likely in .sk, .ru and other countries that don't like to comply with US take-down notifications.

While they are by no means bullet-proof, ignorant entertainment execs who think they can stop these pirates will have to pay their lawyers more money to find new and more creative ways of hassling PB. The costs for which will be passed on directly to YOU, the loyal consumer :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:"Cloud" is a useless buzzword.
++

every chancer and his cousin's deformed rabbit is staking out their own personal definition of "cloud" and looking to make a killing off of it...

by strict definition its a decentralised, redundant, collection of services delivered over the wire...

by every practical implementation its a quagmire of security, legal, technical and legislative horrors chock full of management and marketing woo while offering not all that much benefit....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

rustypup wrote:by strict definition its a decentralised, redundant, collection of services delivered over the wire...
I think that TPB is acutely aware of the strict definition of the term, hence why they went that route. And here's the really interesting thing: given their propensity to be the target of raids by law enforcement, how well their virtualized solution holds up could well become a case study for disaster recovery, regardless on one's personal views regarding piracy.

Also, with a bit of play on the use of the word "raid" in the thread title: with the Unix "everything is a file" concept, it's possible to "RAID" remote devices. One could access files from remote systems via secure connections, mount the filesystem on their local boxen, apply RAID to set filesystems, and compensate for any connection dropping without losing any data. There's some filesystems out there designed for this purpose; Tahoe-LAFS being a good example. Bonus points to TPB if their virtualized solution implements something along these lines.

The weak point in TPB's setup is that they still run their own dedicated load balancers (that now forward encrypted traffic to one of their cloud providers). I'd expect these to be the primary target of any police raids.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

rustypup wrote:
jamin_za wrote:"Cloud" is a useless buzzword.
++
So you can either talk about "decentralised, redundant, collection of services delivered over the wire", or you can call it "The Cloud".

It is still pretty much in it's infancy though, no? Imagine what can be possible with it in the relative near future. Imagine being able to run nearly any game, run any program from a system that needs be little more than a set of user interface devices with an internet connection. It has to start somewhere.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:So you can either talk about "decentralised, redundant, collection of services delivered over the wire", or you can call it "The Cloud".
i got to listen to the MTN head honcho-tard belabour the term for an hour whilst referring to long established internet services... we're talking HTTP content delivered over TCP/IP...

the fact is, the phrase is horribly ambiguous and almost entirely meaningless - it's become yet another stupid piece of jargon which can be called into service to mean whatever it is you happen to be pointing at at the moment... much like "a series of tubes!"

this particular use of the phrase is actually just referring to off-site hosting of VMs... which has been an established practice for 10+ years and is "cloudy" like dipping your toe in a teacup is "swimming"...

in a true implementation you wouldn't know, or care, where the data/VM was hosted because that's not your concern. that's managed by the SP.

the bandwidth bottleneck is only the first hurdle... getting over the walled-garden and lock-in silliness so popular these days may prove even harder... :|

don't get me wrong, when we get it right it will be fantastic but the journey may become so mired in politics and self-interest we will have to take it out back and burn it

still.. nil desperandum - where there's pr0n, there's a way..
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Rusty wrote:i got to listen to the MTN head honcho-tard belabour the term for an hour whilst referring to long established internet services... we're talking HTTP content delivered over TCP/IP...
That's like calling a Bugatti Veyron just the latest incarnation of technology that got established with the first car. It might be a true'ish statement, but it kind of ignores the huge advances along the way, no? One of the big departures from the usual for cloud computing is the possibility of off-site processing on a new level. "The Cloud" is more a term for a large scale paradigm shift to me. I know you hate all the marketing machinations, I do too, but that's unfortunately how it works. You have to sell stuff to people before they will buy into it.
Rusty wrote:don't get me wrong, when we get it right it will be fantastic but the journey may become so mired in politics and self-interest we will have to take it out back and burn it
That's what I expect, just like the rest of IT has developed for decades. :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:It might be a true'ish statement, but it kind of ignores the huge advances along the way, no?
no. he was explicitly conflating "internet" with "cloud"... this was me presenting an example of why the term should be laughed out of the paddling pool for widdling its pants - it's too easily subverted and defines absolutely nothing.

hosting content is nothing new nor worthy of mention... it's pretty much how the internet operates... we already have a term to refer to this type of network... the internet... simple. unambiguous and internationally accepted like an overpaid hollywood dimbulb stumbling around africa looking for orphans...

<edit>
also got to meet some of the team from CHPC - darn academics get all the cool toys...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/Surprised no-one went for the troll on Pirate Bays hosting servers needing RAID...

Cant wait to see how the music industry reacts to this...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Anakha56 wrote:/Surprised no-one went for the troll on Pirate Bays hosting servers needing RAID...

Cant wait to see how the music industry reacts to this...
Is Ronulus' post invisible? :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Ronulus' was to technical :P

/really have to get some sleep... *sigh*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ADT

Post by ADT »

:thumbright:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~