Downloading music and movies: legal in Switzerland

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Downloading music and movies: legal in Switzerland

Post by Ron2K »

Slashdot wrote:One in three people in Switzerland download unauthorized music, movies and games from the Internet, and — since last year — the government has been wondering what to do about it. This week their response was published, and it was crystal clear. Not only will downloading for personal use stay completely legal, but the copyright holders won't suffer because of it, since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.
Sauce
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Downloading music and movies: legal in Switzerland

Post by Tribble »

So we need to download through a Swiss server and store them on a Swiss cloud - then we will be legal too?
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.
Oh my goodness... :facepalm:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Brb, Switzerland.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Ron2K wrote:
Slashdot wrote:... but the copyright holders won't suffer because of it, since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.
Have to play both sides here. It is like having a complete demo of the full version. If you like it you will buy it, if not you let it go. So on that one there is no loss of revenue, just a loss of sale.

The next one would be how many people keep what they downloaded without paying for it?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I like the idea of people being allowed to try before they buy, or the fact that there are games and movies which are long out of print and so on being available on torrent sites. I'm still not a fan of these freeloaders.
“Every time a new media technology has been made available, it has always been ‘abused’. This is the price we pay for progress. Winners will be those who are able to use the new technology to their advantages and losers those who missed this development and continue to follow old business models,” the report notes.
Yes, that's how capitalism works. Well done. That's why we have Steam, GamersGate, etc.
... these people don’t spend less money as a result because the budgets they reserve for entertainment are fairly constant. This means that downloading is mostly complementary.
And this is where the stupid begins. It is up to producers to gauge supply and demand, and they do it through observing what sells well and what does not. Pirates create inefficiencies in the system that messes that up.What happens when record labels decide to spend more capital making Hannah Montana branded plastic tumblers than on promoting new artists :?:
The other side of piracy, based on the Dutch study, is that downloaders are reported to be more frequent visitors to concerts, and game downloaders actually bought more games than those who didn’t.
Gamers download more games than non-gamers and casual gamers? That's shocking!
And in the music industry, lesser-know bands profit most from the sampling effect of file-sharing.
Maybe, but we have youtube, myspace, and other sites for that.
The Swiss report then goes on to review several of the repressive anti-piracy laws and regulations that have been implemented in other countries recently
Some good points I agree with, but not being able to effectively enforce a law is no good reason to scrap it. Making piracy legal just condones it.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ADT

Post by ADT »

Bladerunner wrote:Brb, Switzerland.
:lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~