Valve asserts that piracy is about convenience

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Valve asserts that piracy is about convenience

Post by StarPhoenix »

From the perspective of Valve, software piracy is caused more by convenience than it is by the cost of games.

That's according to co-founder Gabe Newell, who recently spoke at the North to Innovation conference in Seattle, giving a very frank and open outline of the modern economics of video games.

According to Newell, Russia -- which is often ignored as a market due to its high level of piracy -- is one of Steam's highest grossing countries.
Read more...
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
SykomantiS

Re: Valve asserts that piracy is about convenience

Post by SykomantiS »

So... It's less effort to go out and buy a blanc disc, borrow a game from a friend, copy it and return it and then go and find a crack that isn't invested with trojans, instead of just buying it (instead of the blanc disc)?

Or alternatively it's less effort to install a torrent client and search for games or buy an account like rapidshare and download a game then go and find a crack that isn't invested with trojans, than it is to buy it online and download it?

Eh, I'm not biting :|
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Syko, the scenario you picture is done by maybe 5% (just sucking my thumb here, point is, it is a very low %) of the game hackers out there.
Once they have done their bit and uploaded, anyone are able to download the stuff... = convenience.
That said, I also don't bite the marketing angle they put on the "convenience" of piracy, there is a definite $$$ motivation, way more than Valve would care to admit.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

lol, I have some games that I pirated in the past. If I had the money to buy them I would have done that as the trip to the shops would take roughly 30 minutes whereas downloading on a 384k line takes ages.

So no, I don't buy the convenience theory.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

SykomantiS wrote: Or alternatively it's less effort to install a torrent client and search for games or buy an account like rapidshare and download a game then go and find a crack that isn't invested with trojans, than it is to buy it online and download it?
1. Visit the site of the Unsinkable Ship
2. Search for game and click link with most seeds (check for the little pink skull (or was it green?))
3. ???
4. Profit!

And no, Gabe, clearly your cholesterol levels have been affecting your thought process. I pirate because I save R500 on a game, and my PC doesn't get infested with your Steam/DRM crap and/or constant updates/patches.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

There are a number of reasons I don't pirate - mainly because reciprocating the efforts of fellow human beings is something crucial to my self respect. I don't know how high up "convenience" goes.

//realises that 85% of the people on the forum pirate regularly and adds "try before you buy" clause to maintain popularity points. :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I fail to see how piracy is more convenient than Steam specials and how a game without all the extra bells and whistles that you usually get (achievements, ranked matches / matchmaking, access to DLC, etc) is better than the legal version. :roll:

The sad thing is I actually know some people who flat out refuse to pay for software or games, it can be on special and cost next to nothing but they would still rather pirate than buy the original. *sigh* Some people. :(
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I'd have to agree that it is now more convenient based rather than cost based if you think that you have to download updates every now and then and register every damn game you legally buy. But if you download from the net then I don't see the convenience factor.

If I can buy, install and play a game without touch telkom then you accomplished the mission of most user friendly installation right there.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.