Game devs post their own game to The Pirate Bay

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Game devs post their own game to The Pirate Bay

Post by Ron2K »

Slashdot wrote:Indie game company tinyBuild Games, who released a platformer called No Time To Explain recently, uploaded their own game to the Pirate Bay. However, there's a key difference between the game they uploaded and the version you can purchase: the game characters wear pirate hats, and everything else has a pirate theme. One of the company's founders, Alex Nichiporchik, said, 'ome people are going to torrent it either way, we might as well make something funny out of it. ... You can’t really stop piracy, all you can do is make it work for you and/or provide something that people actually want to pay for. For us this is humor, we like making people laugh.'

Source

The original articles also mention that game sales have actually increased since the "pirate version" was uploaded... so does piracy really negatively affect games sales then? I don't believe that there's enough evidence to make conclusions either for or against, but this is still interesting nonetheless.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Game devs post their own game to The Pirate Bay

Post by StarBound »

Will the full retail game get the pirate theme free later on? :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.