Windows 8 to use the cloud to fight piracy?

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Windows 8 to use the cloud to fight piracy?

Post by Ron2K »

ExtremeTech wrote:With the latest Windows 8 build (8064) that has been delivered to Intel, it’s clear that the company is taking strides to make sure that its upcoming OS isn’t quit so easy to pirate. For starters, the generic volume license keys that were so easily exploited during the early days of Windows 7 leaks will no longer be an option for pirates. Product keys also won’t be shipped in the prodkey.txt file included in the build packages. Instead, installers will need to retrieve a unique key from a Microsoft web page.

There’s also a good possibility that the recently-surfaced fast booting patent could come into play as well. If Microsoft does indeed have designs on using a remote server to push OS code to systems at boot time (even if it’s cached locally for extended periods), that code would be a very clever place to embed activation-related programming. Even if a crack was discovered, it would be neatly undone during a subsequent start-up sequence — similar to the way Microsoft’s now-idle Windows Steady State could turn back the clock an entire Windows installation after rebooting.
Source

Predictions for this thread:
  • Bladerunner claiming that he will crack this in less than a minute
  • Stiggy whining about the internet connection requirements and how evil Microsoft is
Personally, I don't mind though. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Windows 8 to use the cloud to fight piracy?

Post by Bladerunner »

I lol'd.

What options are available to people without an internet connection?
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Windows 8 to use the cloud to fight piracy?

Post by StarBound »

Bladerunner wrote:I lol'd.

What options are available to people without an internet connection?
Linux
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.