Is modifying your OS illegal?

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Is modifying your OS illegal?

Post by Anakha56 »

/taken from Star's build thread...

Since we have this lovely little section why not get a nice discussion going...

So in Star's build thread I posted a link a to a patch that will give Windows Home Basic the Aero features of Home Premium:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/f ... er-edition
Get Missing Aero Glass and Other Personalization Features in Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter Edition

Windows 7: The Starter and Home Basic editions of Windows 7 are crippled when it comes to customization. If you want Aero Glass, Aero Peek, or just wallpaper switching from the desktop context menu, here's a handy patch.

The small EXE file, created by a "Mr. Dusha" and posted by Microsoft MVP Vishal Gupta (known as VG here on Lifehacker), patches system files to enable all the personalization features of Windows Ultimate.

(Note: lacking a Home Basic or Starter machine, we haven't personally tested this out, but from the comments the patch works simply and as promised. To uninstall, Vishal writes you can re-run the patch or type in sfc /scannow at the command prompt.)
So the question is, would this type of thing be considered illegal?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Is modifying your OS illegal?

Post by StarBound »

Well if its microsofts Aero Glass then yes but I cant see that if it is the other guys that it would be considered illegal. After all "themes" has been modifying windows since win98 and we've seen 3D background programs, top launch bars, sidebars before windows vista so I can't see that as illegal.

Patching something to get you the full package is a grey area. Office gets distributed as a single package and your license key gets you rights to use whatever part of the package you may use. In this light I'd say an system unlock pass above your license is illegal. But use another guys program to give you the same access and features isn't.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
jee

Post by jee »

As an aside, does software/gaming have something like a "fair use" clause? I'm not talking about anything Open Source but proprietary software. Fansubs for games?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I think it should be illegal.

I buy software for access control systems and get what is required for a specific installation e.g. amount of cards, controllers, specific functionalities etc.
If we need to expand on the system e.g. import site maps or whatever, we need to buy additional licenses. Even though the functionality exists in the software as installed but hasn't been enabled.

Same thing here. The OS has the functionality but it hasn't been included. On purpose not through oversight.
If you want to use the functionality - pay up.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:If you want to use the functionality - pay up.
Blasphemy. I am disappoint. :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Mmmm, well I know one windows mod that is most certainly illegal. The *cough Windows 7 activator cough* :roll:

Btw how can customisation software be illegal....all you are doing is changing the appearance of the windows desktop to suite your taste
jee

Post by jee »

Stig, if you customise you change something in the software - or add and if its not sanctioned by the originator its illegal.

Its like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa... ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

In this case it isn't about adding 3rd party software to the OS. It is an app that unlocks a higher windows license. If your using some open source app that enables the higher functions through their own code then microsoft has no say in it.
My Steam Screenshots

naughty

Post by naughty »

jee wrote:Stig, if you customise you change something in the software - or add and if its not sanctioned by the originator its illegal.

Its like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa... ;)
shudder ..... are you really comparing windows to the Mona Lisa? (its akin to calling windows a work of art .... no matter how much an activator hack really is like a Mustache) :lol: :lol:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

What jee said... I have two points regarding this you need to implant into your brain at your soonest convenience... oh wait no... IMMEDIATELY...

1) It is not your software, You are only renting it !!!!!

2) By putting Aero onto a non Aero version of Windows 7 then you are for all intents and purposes stealing functionality you have not paid for.

PS: StarBound I beg to differ with you. Providing the locked functionality in a 3rd party application is copyright infringement. Which last time I checked is also illegal.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

RuadRauFlessa wrote: 1) It is not your software, You are only renting it !!!!!
At 5 grand a copy? Ridiculous.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Why would providing an alternative be illegal? It's like saying Call of Duty is illegal because it plays like Counter Strike.

Windows can't format certain drive sizes for FAT32 but an app called GUIFormat or something like that can. Locked functionality vs 3rd party software. What about VLC, K-lite or WMP all of them play movies but the first 2 supports most formats off the bat (K-lite installs all codecs). Windows ramdrive is limited to the size of a floppy disk while other ram drive apps allows you to use that ram that the 32-bit OS cant use as a pagefile for full RAM access times and no disc swapping.

So with that said I don't see McGlassies Crystal View being illegal when it provides visuals similar to that of Windows Aero. Jimmies all terrain hack that enables all those features from your windows license however is illegal.
My Steam Screenshots

DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

meh. well it doesn't apply to me since i have ultimate. I was just about to experiment with rainmeter and thought that it maybe illegal.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarBound wrote:Why would providing an alternative be illegal? It's like saying Call of Duty is illegal because it plays like Counter Strike.
COD plays nothing like counterstrike and is a completely different application. It does not change or enhance counterstrike in any way as to mimic any functionality which might be locked in specific versions of counterstrike
StarBound wrote:Windows can't format certain drive sizes for FAT32 but an app called GUIFormat or something like that can.
GUIFormat is called a utility program which actually provides functionality which Windows does not. Nothing wrong with it.
StarBound wrote: Locked functionality vs 3rd party software. What about VLC, K-lite or WMP all of them play movies but the first 2 supports most formats off the bat (K-lite installs all codecs).
Well you are now just plain nitpicking. Go and look at the original question and then come back posting. Besides you render your own arguments moot.
StarBound wrote: Windows ramdrive is limited to the size of a floppy disk while other ram drive apps allows you to use that ram that the 32-bit OS cant use as a pagefile for full RAM access times and no disc swapping.
Again it adds extra features which is not present in the original therefore there is no issue with it. If on the other hand you load an app... say.... to give you windows Aero on Windows Home Basic... that is a different ball game all together as you are providing locked features within the OS without the need to purchase the real thing.
StarBound wrote:So with that said I don't see McGlassies Crystal View being illegal when it provides visuals similar to that of Windows Aero. Jimmies all terrain hack that enables all those features from your windows license however is illegal.
That being said... if an application copies the whole look and feel of windows Aero they are opening themselves up for a lawsuit. One I won't want coming down on myself. Bear in mind that the whole desktop theme is copyrighted. So regardless of the use you need permission and I doubt Microsoft will be giving permission for their look and feel to be shimmied by another company to make money from Microsoft's licensing schemes.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

The [simple? obvious?] answer to the question posed by Anakha's thread is.....it depends on the operating system and its licensing.

If you do have an uncontrollable urge to tinker with your operating system, pick a Linux distribution.
If you're feeling particularly smart.... L.F.S.

Or am I missing something here?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

100% SP... I agree.. Although I won't go L.F.S... Id suggest going Gentoo.... Uber cool if you wanna tinker around.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

True. There is Gentoo if L.F.S. appears too extreme or intimidating, though I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for now.

My friend said that he learned a fair amount about computers by installing and configuring a Gentoo system.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot