How to fight game pirates: vuvuzelas!

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

How to fight game pirates: vuvuzelas!

Post by Ron2K »

Yes, I know we have a Piracy thread, but this is epic enough to deserve its own thread. :mrgreen:
Wired wrote:A novel anti-piracy measure baked into the Nintendo DS version of Michael Jackson: The Experience makes copied versions of the game unplayable and taunts gamers with the blaring sound of vuvuzelas.

Instead of “Beat It,” players get “Bleat It.”
Source (language warning! Also contains a YouTube vid of the epicness...)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: How to fight game pirates: vuvuzelas!

Post by Tribble »

Bwahahahahahahaha
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

on a slightly more serious note...who, in the name of all that is good taste, pirates "Michael Jackson: The Experience"?! what the hell is wrong with these people?... how is there even a market for this? :shock: :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

there is more than one way to skin a cat......
good for them!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

It's not really a clever move. A lot of people pirate for the sake of testing out a game before purchase. If they do this they just have to start releasing more demos.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Siemens wrote:A lot of people pirate for the sake of testing out a game before purchase.
arguably off topic, but this is the biggest load of kwanzaa i've ever heard... :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

rustypup wrote:
Siemens wrote:A lot of people pirate for the sake of testing out a game before purchase.
arguably off topic, but this is the biggest load of kwanzaa i've ever heard... :lol:
maybe not in your social circle but try-before-buy is actually bigger than what you think. Especially with PC and DS platforms. Yes it may be illegal but it still happens.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Siemens wrote:It's not really a clever move. A lot of people pirate for the sake of testing out a game before purchase. If they do this they just have to start releasing more demos.
What retarded oxygen deprived planet do you hail from?
maybe not in your social circle
Nope he belongs to a social cult that nails ignorant people to crosses and prays to the gaming demi-gods.

I am going to pirate starcraft 2 because I want to play the complete single player missions before buying it to play the odd multiplayer game. that statement is false but you get the retarded idea
but try-before-buy is actually bigger than what you think
In make believe land perhaps, but the odds of an actual pirate that wants to buy a game after trying it is about 100% zero.Pirates don't pirate because the want to try a game, they pirate because it is easier and mostly free or cheap.

Unless you can actually prove it, here is a cloth, your mouth is dripping BS.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

wizardofid wrote:
Siemens wrote:It's not really a clever move. A lot of people pirate for the sake of testing out a game before purchase. If they do this they just have to start releasing more demos.
What retarded oxygen deprived planet do you hail from?
maybe not in your social circle
Nope he belongs to a social cult that nails ignorant people to crosses and prays to the gaming demi-gods.

I am going to pirate starcraft 2 because I want to play the complete single player missions before buying it to play the odd multiplayer game. that statement is false but you get the retarded idea
but try-before-buy is actually bigger than what you think
In make believe land perhaps, but the odds of an actual pirate that wants to buy a game after trying it is about 100% zero.Pirates don't pirate because the want to try a game, they pirate because it is easier and mostly free or cheap.

Unless you can actually prove it, here is a cloth, your mouth is dripping BS.
It is clear you don't fully understand what you are talking about.
I am living proof that the try-before-buy system works, aswell as most of my friends and a lot of differant people I've met online. Not all people are douchebags. Some people actually want to see if the game will work on their system before purchase when demos aren't available. I've wasted far topo much money to buy another game that wont work. If it does work I DO buy it because I DO believe in supporting the developers.

Sheesh I dont know why you went so offensive on that one.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

I am living proof that the try-before-buy system works, aswell as most of my friends and a lot of differant people I've met online. Not all people are douchebags. Some people actually want to see if the game will work on their system before purchase when demos aren't available. I've wasted far topo much money to buy another game that wont work. If it does work I DO buy it because I DO believe in supporting the developers.

Actually, thanks for that, your post has been duly reported, as you actively pirate as you say.Actually this IS a sticky subject for me, as a freelance 3D modeler having spend last year a few grand on upgrading my software for 3d modeling as such.I depend on developers actually buying my media for use in their games, and as such my year to year fee has been reduced because of developers, indie developers reporting loses due to pirating.On average depending the package the reseller sells, it gives me about 15$ where previously I received 20$ dollars.

So yeah, you can say I am on the offensive.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I'm not going to continue in a narrowminded debate here. I'll send you a message instead and we can discuss it in private. You're free to report me as using pirated copies on occasion.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Siemens wrote: Sheesh I dont know why you went so offensive on that one.
I don't know why people feel the need to tell the whole world that they pirate games. :roll:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Siemens wrote:I'm not going to continue in a narrowminded debate here. I'll send you a message instead and we can discuss it in private. You're free to report me as using pirated copies on occasion.
As "narrowminded" as it may seem, promotion of piracy is against forum rules, so I agree: Let's drop it now.
STIR

Post by STIR »

I dont support piracy and fully appreciate that developers need and deserve our support to continue making great games BUT.

I bought COD Black opps and MW2 for the kids for christmas. While installing (before the christmas rush on steam ) I realized that because the games use about 900MB of data to update steam and the games (on MTN 3G this costs about R300 depending on the data bundle) I could could have bought pirated copies (in addition to the legitimate copy that I have bought) and it would still have been cheaper than downloading steam updates and the game updates on 3g. How can anyone with common sense not be tempted to buy pirated software under these conditions?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

STIR wrote:I dont support piracy and fully appreciate that developers need and deserve our support to continue making great games BUT.

I bought COD Black opps and MW2 for the kids for christmas. While installing (before the christmas rush on steam ) I realized that because the games use about 900MB of data to update steam and the games (on MTN 3G this costs about R300 depending on the data bundle) I could could have bought pirated copies (in addition to the legitimate copy that I have bought) and it would still have been cheaper than downloading steam updates and the game updates on 3g. How can anyone with common sense not be tempted to buy pirated software under these conditions?
Well you have to consider one thing, bandwidth is not an issue in most countries.Most of these games that require some form of activation or updates before they actually work have big fat disclaimers pointing out that a internet connection is needed, nor can they be blamed for the cost of your bandwidth.

And the conditions your are pointing out are South African related, and at that wireless which generally speaking is expensive comparative and that steam has always been a high bandwidth piece of software.Pretty sure steam it self has some sort of bandwidth requirement disclaimer.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but generally speaking people don't use 3G or at that capped mobile internet for a reason on steam unless they can afford it. :) :)
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

wizardofid wrote:

Actually, thanks for that, your post has been duly reported, as you actively pirate as you say.Actually this IS a sticky subject for me, as a freelance 3D modeler having spend last year a few grand on upgrading my software for 3d modeling as such.I depend on developers actually buying my media for use in their games, and as such my year to year fee has been reduced because of developers, indie developers reporting loses due to pirating.On average depending the package the reseller sells, it gives me about 15$ where previously I received 20$ dollars.

So yeah, you can say I am on the offensive.
Wow watch the baby throw his toys out of the cot for $5. With that kind of money I could totally buy... uhm... nevermind.

He actually buys the game, so in what way is he not supporting the developer?

And don't take this too personally, but you're not exactly creating models for EA either.

My younger brother is 18, just finished school, and I've seen him do some bloody nice renders. He taught himself so I can't exactly visualise why you're up in arms, like you're risking your life creating models for developers whose games we'll never even play.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ Was the personal attack really necessary? :roll:

This thread has got way out of hand. Locked.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.