PC piracy drove us to consoles, says Epic Games

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

PC piracy drove us to consoles, says Epic Games

Post by wizardofid »

Epic digging a larger hole for them self's
Mike Capps, president of Epic Games - the studio behind the Gears of War franchise - has blamed piracy for his studio's recent preference for developing console-only games in an interview with Edge magazine. However, the developer believes that the market could begin to move back towards PC development in the near future.

Epic Games, who also developed the Unreal engine and Unreal Tournament franchise, released the first Gears of War on both the PC and Xbox 360 in 2007. However, the 2008 sequel Gears of War 2 was released exclusively on the Xbox 360. The third instalment in the series will also appear only on the Xbox 360 - something which the developer puts down to piracy on the PC.

As reported by CVG (via 1UP), in the interview Capps says that six years ago Epic "was a PC company and always had been," with just one PS2 title to its name - a port of Unreal Tournament. But now people complain on the company's forums that they hate the PC. "And now, if you read our forums," he said, "people are saying: 'Why do you hate the PC? You're a console-only company.' And guess what? It's because the money's on console."

"We still do PC, we love the PC," Capps says, before going on to say how the impact of piracy has "killed" many good developers, forcing them to change their business model.

Despite this, Capps believes a resurgence in the PC market may be coming. "There's certainly a light for PC gaming," he said. According to Capps, publishers are starting to "think their money's going to be shifting back to PC" due to people wanting to spend less time playing games due to the amount of media competing for their attention.

He concludes, "So maybe Facebook will save PC gaming - but it's not going to look like Gears Of War."
http://www.neowin.net/news/pc-piracy-dr ... epic-games
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: PC piracy drove us to consoles, says Epic Games

Post by StarBound »

Funny. It's DRM thats driving me to console. I've bough 3 games on ps3 just because I didnt feel like putting my game time into telkoms hands. When your internet is down for 2 weeks what are you gonna do?

As for piracy I seriously dont see the problem. A few years back selling over a million was a benchmark. Now WoW is bragging about a 11million player base of which 5million are probably gold farmers. Based on MW2 sales about 11million are console overs and they lost 2million sales from the pc over the dedicated server issues. PC is just easier to crack but thinking back a few years ago where our main gaming imports were PIRATED software for sega saturn and playstation I think we might just see more. Besides you do hear about xbox live account bans now and then over pirated software. But I havent heard anything about ps3 piracy thus far.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Prime

Post by Prime »

You realise that bluray is a form of drm?

It's ironic that over priced, sub par, bug riddled pc games drove people to piracy in the first place.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Blaming piracy only now is well, let me put it this way puny attempt to let pc followers down easy....

there has been copy protection since back in the day who still remembers with leisure suit larry you had to look for a word on page number x or what ever.

Fact of the matter is to look at improving sales via alternative avenues copy protection is not one of them.But this
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/03/cloud-gaming/
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

While blueray is a form of DRM on its own the difference is I can play it reguardless of telkom being down, stolen, lazy, !@#$ed up or the developers servers being disconnected, offline, stolen or shut down. Anything I can pick up and play without a 3rd party getting involved is fine with me. And thats how gaming should be.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.