Internet problem, also looking for new ADSL...

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Tiza

Internet problem, also looking for new ADSL...

Post by Tiza »

Hey Team

I recently moved into a komune with 6 other guys and we are currently experiencing some internet problems.

When you browse the fb, email or youtube the internet is extremely slow but when updating steam or anti-virus it is very quick like 80 kb/s. Any idea what might be wrong.

We currently have a 2meg line uncapped but want to upgrade to a 4mb or 10 mb line.

I see cybersmart is the cheapest are they any good? What is the best option you guys can recommend, and does it include line rental etc?

Thx Team
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Internet problem, also looking for new ADSL...

Post by hamin_aus »

Sounds like your ISP is shaping your traffic and deprioritising HTTP traffic
If Gmail is also doing this it means they have deprioritised https/SSL traffic as well which kinda sucks...

Also
it is very quick like 80 kb/s
:lol:
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

hamin_aus wrote:Sounds like your ISP is shaping your traffic and deprioritising HTTP traffic
If Gmail is also doing this it means they have deprioritised https/SSL traffic as well which kinda sucks...

Also
it is very quick like 80 kb/s
:lol:
Go away with your 1st world tendencies
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Which ISP are you with now?

Axxess has a 4mbps account, line rental included for R499. A friend says they're decent enough.

If you're going to stick with 2mbps, Incredible Connection has 2mbps accounts at R99 for their first 1000 customers (R150 line rental not included) . They are new so I'm not sure what sort of quality you could expect. You should be getting way more than 80kb though :-/ even on a 1mbps line

Afrihost 4mbps with line rental is R597, I would say they are the best if you can afford it.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am currently at Openweb 4Mbps Gamers King account at R395, with my line at Axxess for R249. Having the line with Axxess means you pay less and you have the option to recreate your port yourself if the need arises.

It depends on how much you'll be downloading I suppose. Afrihost, Axxess and MWEB have star rating systems afaik, which means that your connection is throttled if your exceed a threshold over a certain period of time and the throttling is 24/7 until the overall usage/time comes down again.

There are some people experiencing problems with all the ISPs, while others are happy, I am mostly very happy with my account, while others are having serious issues even browsing. Usually, unsurprisingly, the problem is with Telkom though in some way.

An option is to get your line at Axxess and then ask around at the different ISPs for test accounts so you can see how it is for yourself. Most of them will be able to accommodate you.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

At the moment we are at telkom and pay R 600 all inclusive
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Just went to telkom they are useless definitely moving. Thx for the advice anyone used cybersmart ?