Axxess

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
KimKagan

Axxess

Post by KimKagan »

Throughout the last six months or so, I have had nothing but trouble with Axxess. Their service has gone down no less than 5 times in the last 3 months, each time prompting me to call them, which means waiting on hold for about 10 minutes before they tell me that "someone is working on it", which basically means I just have to wait.

Today (March 31), the line is dead again, and I have called them, been on hold for 20 minutes, and the the line just drops. I cannot log into my account on their site, I cannot call their phone-in service (despite the fact that their site claims it is open "24/7"), and I am sick of their *****.

I would strongly recommend against choosing Axxess as your ISP, as they have been nothing short of awful for the last six-or-so months.

Is there another ISP I should consider?

Thanks.
Well that's just super.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Axxess

Post by Nuke »

I have a couple Webafrica accounts in, and I have no issues with them. Have a look at their prices.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Axxess was bought by Afrihost, and since Afrihost's move from IS to MTN backbone several months back their quality has pretty much gone to hell.

To be perfectly fair, though, problems in recent weeks have been far wider than a particular ISP. Telkom is overloaded with demand, and it's affecting pretty much everything.

This is not to deny that Afrihost/Axxess has gotten decidedly worse in recent months, but it's simply to say that a switch of ISP will not automatically make things magically better.

Webafrica does come generally very highly rated. More so if you're a Capetonian, but Gautengers speak fairly highly of them too.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

I've been trying to reach their 24/7 tech support line for the past 3 hours.

Brilliant service.
Well that's just super.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

Just got through, apparently it's pretty much everyone that is down, yet again. It's something to do with the end of the month where accounts aren't being validated properly or something (I wasn't quite sure what the tech guy was saying and I'm not a techie), and it's the same thing that happened the last day of the previous month, and, I believe, the month before that.

Chaos...

He said it'd be up sometime before 21:00.

Welp-
Well that's just super.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KimKagan wrote:Just got through, apparently it's pretty much everyone that is down, yet again. It's something to do with the end of the month where accounts aren't being validated properly or something (I wasn't quite sure what the tech guy was saying and I'm not a techie), and it's the same thing that happened the last day of the previous month, and, I believe, the month before that.

Chaos...

He said it'd be up sometime before 21:00.

Welp-
I think it's still the same old tech support guys and stuff from Axxess before they were bought out by Afrihost, so you may not be able to blame Afrihost directly for staffing fails. Still, this validation fail is something that has plagued Afrihost for years too. Every now and again I get a failed validation, though it's usually pretty quickly sorted out with a call to Afrihost.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

From Afrihost's FB page:
Some ADSL clients are currently unable to authenticate. We're working with Telkom & MTN to resolve this. We apologise for the inconvenience.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

Still down at 13:23 the next day. When I call their support, I get an electronic voice saying "sorry, the number you have dialed is busy".

Awesome.
Well that's just super.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Afrihost now claims that all authentication issues have been resolved. True for Axxess too?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You may find this to be of some interest:

Free 5GB ADSL Data from Webafrica
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

Stuart wrote:Afrihost now claims that all authentication issues have been resolved. True for Axxess too?
Bit late (with my reply), but yeah, it came on a few hours after my previous post here.
Well that's just super.