Heads Up - Pathetic service brought to you by SAOL

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper
Processor: AMD PII x3 720 (4th core unlocke
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Graphics card: Sapphire 7790 Dual x OC
Memory: 8GB 1600 Vengeance kit

Heads Up - Pathetic service brought to you by SAOL

Post by djwez »

Just a heads up to all.

finally decided to take the jump over to uncapped ADSL this month. my Dad signed us up with SAOL on a 1gig package about 5 or 6 years back. i have noticed a decline in the quality of there service over the years and now that ive been trying to cancell it gotten even worse.

Ive been trying to sort out my DSL line so it can be switched over to Afrihost (as bundling is way cheaper). i phoned SAOL support the first time to get the reply that it cant be done. however i could send them an email and they will see what they can do. i though that was cool. popped them an email 4 days later no reply. made sure it was the right address and phoned again. this time around i waited over 30 minutes on the phone only to be told that it cant be done. so this has been happening for a while now.

today i get an email from them once again stating that its not possible to transfer my DSL line over to telkom so Afrihost can process the change. but the guy also informed me that they need 1 month calendar notice about cancellations. funny thing is i DID give them a notice BEFORE the 1st of this month.

extremely annoyed at this and it looks like i will be without internet for nearly a month thanks to these twats!

hopefully ive saved someone the hassle of signing up with them....

/Rant rant rant
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Heads Up - Pathetic service brought to you by SAOL

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah I had huge hassles with SAOL and will never recommend them to anyone. I'm pretty sure they are lying to you about not being able to transfer your line in fact it can be done because my line use to be with them, then back to me, then to Mweb and now back to me again. Sounds like to me that they dont want to go through the extra paperwork in getting you up & running, go post the rant on myBB (sorry to advertise another forum) and have the members there share some insights also SAOL has a myBB account which they do use from time to time. Also while you are at it go and complain on hellopeter.com, might have an effect as well.

Extra side caution to anyone looking to sign up with them. They might say they have uncapped products but if you go over a limit set by them your account gets throttled badly for quite some time. In my case they throttled me for a month after the offending month and what did I download? Steam games, finally had a uncapped account to download all of them only to get nailed with throttling... :/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I almost went with them back when I first got ADSL. Maybe go talk to Telkom and see what they can do?

As with the bundled ADSL, rather get a line with Afrihost, but get your ADSL account from someplace else. They do allow that. Afrihost/Axxess has switched over to the MTN backbone and have been having problems ever since and looks like once they get it sorted, they'll have some throttling going on, though they promise to only throttle certain protocols.

Rather sign with an ISP that offers IS backbone, like Openweb or Plugg. I am with Openweb now on a gamers special (cheaper than any other offering) they have/had running to take advantage of all the unsatisfied Afrihost/Axxess customers and have been having a great connection ever since. Good pings and full speeds throughout the day so far.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I've had issues with the MTN backbone at first but now it seems more stable. My experience is that SAT3 is sadly still the best there is but unfortunately its in the hands of complete jackasses (telkom). As for Axxess I had my ups and downs with them but at the end of the day they have the near best options that fits me.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.