Afrihost voted best SA ISP

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Afrihost voted best SA ISP

Post by Stuart »

MyBroadband conducted its latest broadband survey recently (August 2012), revealing that Afrihost, Web Africa, Axxess, Openweb, and MWEB are the top Internet Service Providers (ISP) in South Africa.

Read more
I'm surprised by this outcome. I don't know exactly why, but I am.
rustypup

Re: Afrihost voted best SA ISP

Post by rustypup »

hardly surprising..

unless *all* the respondents enjoyed equal exposure to *all* ISPs over similar time frames, the results can be chalked up to twaddle of the highest order.

hazy perception and recollection != quantitative/qualitative assessment of anything other than personal bias... (ooh. Gian cares about me because he keeps spamming me using my name... they must be the bestest!) :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Like Keoma Wright from Openweb. When I used to be with them, their VPN product sucked big time, no matter how nice and eager to help Keoma/MrBeep appeared to be.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote: unless *all* the respondents enjoyed equal exposure to *all* ISPs over similar time frames, the results can be chalked up to twaddle of the highest order.
I'd have thought one of the bigger ISPs would have won on sheer number of subscribers.

Look, I have tried my fair share of ISPs and have ultimately ended up coming back to Afrihost personally. I suppose over at MyBB cheapest per GB wins.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'm with Afrihost. I started out on 'n 3gb/month contract, then moved to uncapped, since then I've been upped to 1meg with uncapped, which I switced to 4meg capped @ 35, because I hardly ever see that kind of usage. This month is the first time I've seen > 90% usage with more than a week before the new month. It's simple really, I've never had issues with them.

The only issues I've ever had are directly with Telkom and line stability. I'm considering taking my line over to Afrihost. Conversely, I have a friend wiht mweb uncapped (10 meg line/ 4 meg account I think), at one stage, he was so throttled that there wasn't really any difference between my 1meg uncapped and his offering. It's different now though.

So basically, I'm happy with what I get and what I pay- not so much of a surprise to me.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

...like winning a gold medal at the special olympics...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

What experience do you guys have with @lantic? They have a bolt-on special of R59 for uncapped between 18h00 and 06h00 and weekends. You can bolt it on to a capped account. Doesn't look like there are any speed restrictions either.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I used @lantic for a couple of months several years back with no major issues. Dropped it in the end when I moved for a short while to a place with no Telkom infrastructure. back then they were fast and reliable enough.