Telkom planning to upgrade 384k users

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Telkom planning to upgrade 384k users

Post by Stuart »

Telkom is planning to increase the speed of their 384kbps ADSL subscribers to 1Mbps, and boost their 1Mbps ADSL speeds to 2Mbps. This is according to a source close to the Telkom’s DSL operations.

MyBroadband has received information that the tentative plan is to upgrade all current DSL384 users to 1Mbps in early June 2012. Three weeks later all current 1Mbps ADSL users will be upgraded to 2Mbps.

It is understood that these upgrade dates are however only loose guidelines at this stage, and that firm dates will only become available at a later stage.

One of the sticky points, the source revealed, is that these upgrades may be limited to ‘upgraded’ exchanges which are served by Metro Ethernet backhaul links. The potential backlash from ADSL subscribers served by other exchanges may however change this plan.

The possible ADSL network congestion which can be created by speed upgrades at exchanges without adequate capacity is a potential stumbling block which may delay the speed upgrades as planned.

These upgrades are however not unexpected. In November 2011 Telkom said that they will offer their broadband customers “consistently more value (speeds and caps) for same price”.

The company also said that they will increase the entry level speed of its broadband services to 2Mbps by 2015, and also boost top level speeds to 40Mbps.

Telkom would not confirm or deny the information, merely saying that it “continuously evaluates its broadband portfolio and the associated access speeds and will continue to do so”.
Source
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: Telkom planning to upgrade 384k users

Post by StarPhoenix »

So upgrade our exchanges already, Telkom! :x
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I've heard this fairytale yesterday, I still don't believe it.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Finally an upgrade even for 384kbps people? Incredible.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Mike_J.M

Post by Mike_J.M »

Yeah its about time.. Lets hope they live up to their promise
MSI Z97 Gaming 3
Intel i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz
Corsair DDR3 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB OC
Corsair RM 850W PSU
Corsair Force GS 180GB SSD
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Well i have some better news for you MWEB users... MWEB will be increasing the speed of the customers on 384k line to 1mb line for free. :) wait.... that is not all. they also dropping the price to R199 p/m that is R199 for both the 384k and the 1mb.

Thanks. mweb and telkom best birthday present ever. :D
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Mike_J.M

Post by Mike_J.M »

Now I'll just wait for Telkom to upgrade my line to 1Mbps and then get a free 1Mbps upgrade with MWEB
MSI Z97 Gaming 3
Intel i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz
Corsair DDR3 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB OC
Corsair RM 850W PSU
Corsair Force GS 180GB SSD
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Can Mweb do that apart from Telkom? I didn't know that.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Stuart wrote:Can Mweb do that apart from Telkom? I didn't know that.
If the line is with the ISP, then yes they can. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh, nice to know. :oops:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

I am a 384k user. So I hope this is true, but as this is helkom we are talking about I dont have much faith in it happening
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

And in other news . . .
Telkom announced that it will be increasing ADSL speeds, but the company sprung a pricing surprise on ISPs

Telkom is planning to increase the access fee of its entry level ‘Fast DSL’ product by between R8 and R10 per month.

Two independent sources have informed MyBroadband that Telkom is planning to charge Internet Service Providers (ISPs) between R8 and R10 per month extra per ‘ADSL line’ for its entry level broadband service.

ISPs may try to absorb the increased DSL access costs from Telkom, and hence not pass this increased cost on to consumers, but with already thin margins this could be challenging.

Telkom announced on Friday 1 June 2012 that it will increase the speed of its 384kbps ADSL subscribers to 1Mbps, and will boost the speed of its current 1Mbps users to 2Mbps.

Telkom did not mention pricing in its press statement, and it is assumed that the upgrades will be free of charge.

The entry level ADSL price increase may be unrelated to the ADSL speed increase plans, as Telkom is under financial pressure. The incumbent is facing sliding fixed line numbers and voice revenues, and an increase in ADSL pricing will assist the company to boost revenue.

Telkom was asked about its plans to increase the price of its entry level ADSL product, but the company did not respond by the time of publication.

Source
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ah, yes. While we're on the subject.

4mbps customers- a while back they were upgraded to 10mbps, right? Do they still do that or what? Anyone have info on the 4/10mbps thing?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:4mbps customers- a while back they were upgraded to 10mbps
only where the exchange can support the draw...

we've been waiting 2 years for this magical 4-to-10 upgrade... given that it looks as if they're running additional fibre into our exchange, hopes are kindled anew... :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks rusty. On that note, seeing that my line won't connect at a stable 4096 I probably shouldn't even have asked the question :facepalm:

Also, how does one determine where the exchange is to which you are connected? :oops:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:how does one determine where the exchange is to which you are connected? :oops:
1) Follow line to street junction
2) Break into street junction and tear out random wires
3) ????
4) Follow Telkom techie back to base....

Anakha56 does this regularly - but then, he has a thing for Telkom techies...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote: Anakha56 does this regularly - but then, he has a thing for Telkom techies...

Starting my third month with the bleeding problem still existing... :evil: I hope the fiber cables will bring some relief otherwise I might get stabby... :evil:

Good news for the 384k guys, was getting sick & tired of waiting for my 384k line to be upgraded thats why I moved to a 4mb line which now behaves like 128k line most afternoons... :evil:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/just to post my sob story...

Thats a 4mb line trying to get 4mb speeds to SAIX on a Telkom guest account... :evil:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:Ah, yes. While we're on the subject.

4mbps customers- a while back they were upgraded to 10mbps, right? Do they still do that or what? Anyone have info on the 4/10mbps thing?
I noticed the other day that my line is suddenly syncing at 6mbps. Unfortunately I have an uncapped account with Afrihost at home, and to upgrade with Afrihost from 4mbps to 6mbps is double the price, so I am just sticking with what I have for now.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:/just to post my sob story...

Thats a 4mb line trying to get 4mb speeds to SAIX on a Telkom guest account... :evil:
That's a little faster than our 4mbps line at work. I am seriously considering moving to Telkom for our ISP, even though they are far more expensive than Afrihost, just so that they can't blame my slow speeds on my ISP.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well I have a capped account with Afrihost. I haven't bothered to do speed tests yet because there's no need when the line doesn't sync on anything above 3mbps.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Telkom said that it will increase the speed of its entry level ADSL service to 2Mbps by 2015, and at the same time boost its highest ADSL speed to 40Mbps.

Telkom announced its annual results for the year ended 31 March 2012 today (8 June 2012), and Telkom CEO Nombulelo Moholi said that the company will consistently add more value at the same price through higher speeds and higher usage caps.

Telkom has already announced that it will boost its entry level ADSL speed from the current 384kbps to 1Mbps starting in August. 1Mbps ADSL users will be bumped up to 2Mbps.

Moholi said that Telkom is also planning to launch “targeted double and triple play offerings with on-demand media-rich content and converged services”.

Source
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Any word on 4mbps users?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:Any word on 4mbps users?
If your exchange supports higher than 4mbps you qualify for a free upgrade. You may have to call Telkom and ask though. My line started syncing a week or so ago at 6mpbs with no request from Telkom.

Depending on your ISP, however, there may be additional charges to upgrade to a 10mbps account, though it seems that most speed upgrades are at no extra charge assuming you are on a capped account. Jumping from 4mbps to 10mbps on an uncapped account is a little hectic.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks for the info. So I'll get them to stabilise my line first, and then harass them for MOAR speed.