Inside Google+: How the search giant plans to go social

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Inside Google+: How the search giant plans to go social

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/06 ... ocial.ars/
Inside Google+: how the search giant plans to go social
By Steven Levy, wired.com | Published about an hour ago

Today, Google, the world’s largest search company, is formally making its pitch to become a major force in social networking. The product it’s announcing is called Google +, and observers might wonder whether it’s simply one more social effort by a company that has had a lousy track record in that field to date.

Parts of it certainly seem to appear similar to what we've seen before. One significant component is a continuous scroll called "the Stream" that's an alternative to Facebook's news feed, a hub of personalized content. It has a companion called "Sparks," related to one's specified interests. Together they are designed to be a primary attention-suck of Google users—Google hopes that eventually people will gravitate to the stream in the same way that members of Facebook or Twitter constantly check those continuous scrolls of personalized information.

The second important app is Circles, an improved way to share information with one's friends, family, contacts, and the public at large. It's a management tool that's a necessary component of any social network—a way to organize (and recruit) fellow members of the service.

But as I learned in almost a year of following the project's development, with multiple interviews with the team and its executives, Google+ is not a typical release. Developed under the codename Emerald Sea, it is a result of a lengthy and urgent effort involving almost all of the company's products. Hundreds of engineers were involved in the effort. It has been a key focus for new CEO Larry Page.

The parts announced Tuesday represent only a portion of Google's plans. In an approach the company refers to as "rolling thunder," Google has been quietly pushing out pieces of its ambitious social strategy—there are well over 100 launches on its calendar. When some launches were greeted by yawns, the Emerald Sea team leaders weren't ruffled at all—lack of drama is part of the plan. Google has consciously refrained from contextualizing those products into its overall strategy.

That will begin now, with the announcement of the two centerpieces of Google+. But even this moment—revealed in a blog post that marks the first limited "field tests" outside the company—will be muted, because it marks just one more milestone in a long tough slog to remake Google into something more "people centric."

After reading this I am so wanting to use this. This sounds awesome... :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Re: Inside Google+: How the search giant plans to go social

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/goog ... -hands-on/
Google+ invite received, we go hands-on
By Brian Heater posted Jun 28th 2011 8:06PM

It's hard to argue with Google's track record. The company has scored a hit in nearly every space in which it's dabbled: search, email, ads, office software, etc. There's always been one glaring exception to this rule, however: social networking. The company hasn't made much of a dent in a world dominated by Facebook (and, once upon a time, MySpace and Friendster). For Google+, however, the company dove in with both feet, launching a multi-faceted service that brings a lot to the table with features like Circles, Hang Out, and Huddle. Is it enough to end the Google's streak? We take a deeper dive to find out.

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Sounds good so far yeah, can't wait to try it out. Hopefully they've learned their lessons from the abominations that were Buzz and Wave... :lol:
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Yes, +1. I'm really enjoying the tours and info. They are marketing it well so as long as the final product has the ideas implemented flawlessly I think they are really going to give facebook a run for their money.

I can't wait to put my wife into a different circle so I can finally start posting photo's of those hot chicks in bikinis to make my colleagues jealous. :twisted:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

BWHAHA, awesome. I'm borrowing it.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Anyone with invites, feel free to throw one this way. Really keen on trying this out (and besides, have been thinking of ditching Facebook for a while now). ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Another portal to steal identities with social engineering.
Bring it.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Sounds good so far yeah, can't wait to try it out. Hopefully they've learned their lessons from the abominations that were Buzz and Wave... :lol:
I never used wave, but I did see a video about it, and I thought it looked awesome.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Was an awesome concept yeah, but was very poorly implemented.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Was an awesome concept yeah, but was very poorly implemented.
ahh, i see... thanks for clearing that up.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

This looks so clean and smooth. I am going to work my butt off to convert my friends to Google+...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hate you guys for being on there already! :P I've received about 5 or 6 invites, but Google has locked invites down, so I can't get it :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Sorry mate, I have been trying to get Pam in but yeah Google locking down the invites has caused it to not work :(. I owe my invite to a certain mod on the forum, dont want to mention who just in case he gets flooded with PM's. :)

Have already submitted 1 feature and 3 bugs I have found. Overall I am loving the experience, its so sexy...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah. I've read a whole lot about it, and it seems to be a really great experience. There are a couple of things that are really nice. I love the idea of Circles, and Hangouts is just amazing.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Haha seems like the hacks to get invites are not working anymore :lol:. Sorry DJV cant get you in just yet :(.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

You guys are making me curious - but ah I can wait.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm not convinced that closed testing is the best idea in this instance. I only have half a dozen friends on there; hardly enough for me to decide that this is a better social networking tool than Facebook.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well this isn't the time for you to make that decision ;)

Don't worry Anakha, I'll be on soon, I'm sure :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Well this isn't the time for you to make that decision ;)
Yes, but unless a slew of new features start popping up, I'm not sure it'll hold my interest until it IS time to make that decision. I have a short attention span.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i got an invite but it says they have temp disabled people from joining due to overload...

fail.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

DeathStrike wrote: fail.
Not so. Like I said I have identified a few problems with this service already, if they open the doors to the public with a unfinished product they will be torn to shreds just like when they released Buzz. They did this with gmail and look at how successful it has become ;).
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Gmail? What's that?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Synthesis wrote:Gmail? What's that?
:troll:
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Well I must say its a good sign if their network is getting flooded already?! That means a lot of people are itching to have a shot at it and not remain slaves to Facebook.

Personally I feel safer with Google, even with the whole 'Stealing personal information' during their google maps implementation. Facebook on the other hand, I don't trust at all. If anything is true in the movie 'The Social Network' then that is one man (rather boy) I do not want to support if I can help it. So if it is a worthy tool and I can shift friends onto it, I think google already have my vote.

So when the invite thing is unlocked, someone pop an invite this way too!