The Facebook Features (and Other News) Thread

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
doo_much

Re: The Facebook Features (and Other News) Thread

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
  • Revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $1.058 billion, up from $731 last year.
  • Net income dropped to $205 million for the quarter, down from $233 last year.
Can someone please explain to me where that revenue is derived from?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Adverts I suspect - and apps.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Farmville
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

OK. I'm convinced. Thanks uberRat and Tribs.
In the first quarter, Zynga generated about $235 million in revenue. Ad revenue in the quarter was $9.9 million, and most of the money came from virtual goods sales. In that quarter, it had about 236 million monthly active users. So Zynga generated roughly $1.04 per user per quarter, or $4.16 per user per year. But Zynga acknowledges that a very small percentage of its players actually pay money.
Stack 'em high, sell 'em low.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:Farmville
:facepalm:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Hee hee someone wants to fake a life

Thank goodness I never put money into these games.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Facebook users spend more time on the social network on their mobile phones, where monetization and revenue is far weaker than on the desktop site.

Read more
Now that I think about it, I probably spend more time on FB on my phone than on my PC.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/11/face ... t-feature/
Facebook testing 'highlight' feature, lets users pay $2 to promote their status updates

Finding ways to throw money at Mark Zuckerberg is notoriously difficult, but a new 'highlight' feature could be just the trick. Currently being tested with a small population of users, it allows an ordinary member to pay $2 to ensure that their latest status update crops up in more of their friends' news streams. Ordinarily, the degree to which a status update is streamed depends on the number of likes or comments it has, which ensures that users generally only see the juiciest gossip, but paying this little premium would cause Facebook's algorithms to distort that in your favor. In other words, it's money replacing popularity, or simply -- sigh -- life.
Okay then... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

And anyone that pays it - deserves to be blocked. *Sigh* I liked the idea that I decided whose statuses I saw. I have some friends that are really sick and weird and I really don't want to know their every thought. But they will want us all to see theirs.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Tribble wrote:And anyone that pays it - deserves to be blocked. *Sigh* I liked the idea that I decided whose statuses I saw. I have some friends that are really sick and weird and I really don't want to know their every thought. But they will want us all to see theirs.
I agree with you. First person to do that on my friends list gets removed, irl.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

How sad does someone's life have to be that they will actually pay to have their status bumped?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I bet the emo people will do it first. They need everyone to know how miserable they are. The next to do it will be those going through breakups. I have learnt about every breakup on FB first - before they told me. Even my half-brother's separation from his wife. They both changed their status to "it's complicated" and then "Single" even though the divorce isn't through yet. Then will be those who are fighting with a friend or family member. :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Imagine if you had a superpower that would allow you to peer into the future of the Internet? It’s a pretty nerdy power compared to Spider-Man’s web-slinging, but you could use this superhuman ability to see what would be popular soon, and in some instances, change the future.

Facebook actually has this power.

Read more
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

So for a while I've been wanting to do something like this and got around to it today.

Just a quick simplistic retro Pulp Fiction type theme and yes, that's my mug as line-art.

:mrgreen:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That is awesome
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Facebook launches "Facebook Graph Search" .

http://gizmodo.com/5976186/what-is-face ... aph-search
What Is Facebook Graph Search?

Facebook's big announcement today was Graph Search. It's a deeply important step for Facebook. But it's also kind of unlike other search systems out there, and adds a bunch of new ways to use Facebook. Here's how it works.
Graph Search is way to sort through Facebook...

The first thing to note is that Graph Search is "not web search," as Facebook puts it. It's not where you go to find Wikipedia links or song lyrics or anything like that. It's a way to access information and people and things that are already on Facebook. Specifically, it's for finding things that have been shared on Open Graph, which is the feature of Facebook that shares apps you use, photos you comment on, and music you listen to with the world at large.
...But will still give you web search results...

Naturally, not everything you type into the Graph Search field will be on Facebook. So if Facebook has no idea what to do with your search terms, it will display results from Bing (which is actually pretty good for pure search). Big news for Bing, mildly bad news for Google. The more notable part for Google is that Graph Search is organizing information that Google can't get at, and the type of information that it's largely failed to get through Google+.
...That Focuses on Four Main Areas..

Graph Search is centered around finding four types of things: People, Photos, Places and Interests. You can find, to use Facebook's example, TV shows that are watched by Doctors. Or Apps that are used by friends of friends. Or doctors liked by other doctors. Or photos of dogs from your female friends who live in San Francisco. Literally anything in the Facebook universe that's connected in a way that you are or want to be connected. It sounds pretty simple at first blush, but it's actually a pretty clever way to use all of the social information that Facebook's collected.
...And kind of works like a dating website...

The way you sort through stuff is deeply reminiscent of how you'd sort through a traditional dating website. "Single Women who live within 25 miles of me with Blonde hair and Average body types and who Like Cats" is now, more or less, something you can type into Facebook's Graph Search and get a real response. It would probably look like "Friends of My Friends who are Single and Live in My City and Female and like Cats." Or something close. You type a sentence into the Graph Search bar that has a series of filters, like either of the above examples, and GS will give you suggested searches based on those.
...And has the potential to be a crazy powerful stalker tool...

Obviously, Facebook is talking about its privacy advancements, like Privacy Shortcuts from a few weeks ago. But the fact remains that this is going to be a hugely powerful way to be creepy on Facebook. You can already accomplish that pretty easily, but merging the powers of a recruiting service and dating website with your real life friends and acquaintances is going to have some unexpected side effects.
...And will be hugely more powerful in the future.

Maybe the biggest thing to know about Graph Search is that it's going to grow hand-in-hand with Open Graph. Facebook says that everything shared in Open Graph will eventually be available for search in Graph Search, meaning every like, post, comment, Spotify song listened to, (soon) Netflix movie watched—all of it will be available to be searched, filtered, and viewed by people using Graph Search.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.