Twitter - Do you Tweet?

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
rustypup

Re: Twitter - Do you Tweet?

Post by rustypup »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Twitter earned something like 10 million members last month alone, so they must be doing SOMETHING right
much like saying "10 million tjops voted on idols" equates to idols being worthwhile viewing? :lol:

for those asking "why" with reference to its popularity, (along with farcebook's), it's probably some mangled abortion of the cult of ego and that of image... it's very much like standing in a foyer shouting garbled sentences at random moments, hoping, (in our heart of hearts), that somebody, (anybody), cares... they don't, but this doesn't appear to curtail the behaviour.

my 4 year old niece can get away with this... anyone still engaging in this puerile form of attention seeking over the age of 7 should be ostracised for the good of the species...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

rustypup, what is your twitter name puppi? :twisted:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tribble wrote:rustypup, what is your twitter name puppi? :twisted:
Good luck with that...

It's been 5 years and he still wont tell me his Fark user name :D
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lol I would follow Puppi's twitter. To get that cynic wit 24/7 would be worth the effort.

Btw - wth is FARK?
jee

Post by jee »

Four-year-old WAYN, which stands for Where Are You Now?, believes it can muscle in on Twitter's turf by focusing on one area of online social interaction that existing networks don't do particularly well: letting people share their future plans and aspirations.

rest of story
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Fark is awesome! Did not know rusty was there? Must pressure for username as well... :P

I have been using it for 2 days and its so-so will probably stop after a day or two just like mybrute...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
jee

Post by jee »

"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Hackers are the most amazing, versatile people on this planet. They can adapt anything - to any where. Can't one of them create a hack so that my database works the way it used to?
jee

Post by jee »

And will be rewarded...
The self-confessed author of the recent Twitter worm has scored a potentially lucrative job doing security analysis and web development work.

Michael "Mikeyy" Mooney, a 17 year-old student from Brooklyn, New York, created a worm that exploited cross-site scripting vulnerabilities in a ham-fisted attempt to promote a site he ran, called StalkDaily. The worm created thousands of automated tweets and spawned a number of copy-cat attacks.

Two software development firms have offered Mikeyy-boy jobs since his worm created chaos on the social networking site last weekend. The miscreant has reportedly already accepted one of these jobs.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/17 ... _worm_job/
jee

Post by jee »

Twitter - a voice piece of the emerging generation of dissidents?
Twitter for freedom and democracy?
Twitter (Facebook?) as a powerful pro-authoritarian tool?

http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/post ... revolution
http://bostonreview.net/BR34.2/morozov.php
jee

Post by jee »

The power of extreme brevity was brought home to me in another context when I told a friend that I was thinking of writing a book. He said: “It won’t work unless you can summarise the argument in a single sentence that can fit on Twitter.” Initially, I found this a repulsive idea. How stupid, I thought – name me a great book that can be summarised in 140 characters? But when I considered the matter further, I realised that most great works of political philosophy could be summarised on Twitter. Indeed, their very greatness lies in the fact that they can be boiled down to a sentence.
Have we become a body of brevity?
Rachman posits that Twitter is "the ideal medium for both politics and philosophy."

source
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Prime wrote:facebook status's people post about loving someone else soo much, every 2 frigging hours. :|
Damn I can't stand those! "... has the best boyfriend/girlfriend in the whole world!"

Aaaargh, it's like the people are trying to convince themselves more than anything else... :?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lol it is more that they feel they are expected to I think.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Tribble wrote:Lol it is more that they feel they are expected to I think.
Doubt it.

Aaaargh, it's like the people are trying to convince themselves more than anything else...
I think this is true. I also think that they're trying to convince the other person that they love them.

It's a needy statement, showing it off to everyone. Its looking for acceptance from the crowd.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
jee

Post by jee »

Monty wrote:It's a needy statement, showing it off to everyone. Its looking for acceptance from the crowd.
true. i have pondered teh "what are you doing right now" moments, the blogs, the bookface, the need to tell the world that "look-at-me" statements, trying to say that "i'm important", my life mean something.

When some friends chat online, having fun, its one thing. When you want to ponder a wisdom - well thats another, sometimes your mind's wanderings bring in exciting comments. I feel, however, for those so needy that the minutia of their lives must be shared with strangers...

Monty, you will make a great psychologist... ;)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Frustrated tweets new headache for airlines
Reuters wrote:Indignant letters, e-mails and phone calls can still get results for unhappy airline travelers, but more are finding that if you really want to vent your frustrations, you can now be loud and fast and public.

At least that's the buzz on Twitter, where airlines are discovering that fuming passengers who have been stranded, delayed or just plain piqued are increasingly letting their undiluted rage fly around the Internet, often from the confines of their cramped airplane seat.

Twitter and other fast-growing social networking websites like Facebook and YouTube have sprung up as yet another front in beleaguered airlines public relations battle.

Although such sites have practical uses for airlines -- say, publicizing fare sales and flight information -- experts said the technology has put carriers on the defensive as they race to tame Twitter furies every day.

"It's almost an underground rage factory," said Terry Trippler, at tripplersview.com, a travel opinion website. "Rarely, I see Twitter messages praising an airline. It's usually attacking an airline."

Twitter, which lets people broadcast 140-character instant text messages to countless readers, has quickly been embraced as a powerful tool to counter censorship. Twitter messages, or "tweets," from Iranian protesters after the recent disputed elections became a running part of the drama.

On last Wednesday morning, Twitter's featured posts about airlines included the following:

"Screw american airlines. Every plane has Been broken. Gah. So done," read one post from Twitter user sheissilenttoo.

"Shame on you Continental Airlines," read another post from user DiscoverU.

"United airlines, you are the bane of my existence," user elnodonle wrote.

Continental Airlines and AMR Corp's American Airlines declined to comment specifically on those posts. A United Airlines spokeswoman was not immediately available to comment.

"We are monitoring tweets and are responding directly or publicly where appropriate," said Continental spokeswoman Kelly Cripe.

Billy Sanez, who manages social media for AMR, said social media enable better dialogue with customers.

"Twitter and a lot of the other social media sites and tools are a way for people to create a conversation or say something," he said. "If they want to chat and if they want to have a conversation, we'll have a conversation. If they want to say something they have an opportunity to express it."

ONE MORE HEADACHE?

For overcrowded U.S. airlines, battered by volatile fuel costs and economic recession and labor unrest, bad publicity has become a part of daily operations. But air carriers can ill-afford to lose the loyalty of their customers.

"Airline industry issues seem to be more visceral. People can resonate immediately with them," said Kevin Mitchell, head of the Business Travel Coalition, which represents business travelers. "Where there are options, it means booking away."

That's why satisfying customers is more important than ever for airlines.

In the last year, U.S. airlines slashed the number of flights to control costs. Planes remain packed: load factors, measuring how full a plane is, were near 85 percent for the top nine U.S. airlines in July.

Despite the crowded planes, on-time performance has improved. U.S. Transportation Department data for first-half 2009 show 78.9 percent of flights landed within 15 minutes their scheduled arrival. In 2000, that was at 72.6 percent.

So by that measure, air travelers should have less to complain about these days. But don't tell that to airlines.

"A lot of people are upset, and they use these channels to vent," said Christi Day at Southwest Airlines, who runs the carrier's Twitter and Facebook profiles. "The main thing that our customers need to know is that we hear them."

But it's not just the flood of irate Twitter postings that can give an airline new bumps in their ride.

Earlier this year, a Canadian musician recorded a song and video called "United Breaks Guitars" after he said United Airlines failed to take responsibility for damaging his instrument during a flight.

The video, which was posted on Google Inc's YouTube, became an Internet hit. United quickly apologized and made a contribution to a music charity in the man's name.

Kate Hanni, founder of FlyersRights.org, and a vocal airlines critic, said social networking has given voice to travelers who otherwise would have fumed in silence.

"It creates an awareness for people that these things are happening all the time," Hanni said.

FlyerRights.org has lobbied Congress for legislation on passenger rights, spurred by well-publicized incidents that left passengers stranded on planes for many hours.

"When I hear about a stranding event where someone is stranded right then, I tweet it," Hanni said.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

So I joined Twitter, I wanted to do a feed about my journey into Amateur Photography.

Then I read this
Why does Twitter have limits?

Twitter limits alleviate some of the strain on the invisible part of Twitter, which prevents error pages and down time on the visible part. For the sake of reliability (fewer robots and whales) we've placed limits on actions like following, API requests per hour, and number of updates per day. This doesn't restrain reasonable usage, and will not affect most people. Although the limits are a recent addition to Twitter, we've always been about limits, starting with 140 characters per update. We embrace the idea that constraint inspires creativity.
I am considering deleting my twitter account now. Constraint may inspire creativity but I shall not support the butchering of the English language to keep a feed below 140 characters. :mad:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It is difficult to make certain things succinct :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote:It is difficult to make certain things succinct :?
Exactly! It feels like trying to type out an SMS online, on a vintage cellular phone :roll:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yup - that is why I don't post there often. The puppy mentioned a place where he posts - can't remember what it was called though. Seems it has more text room than Twitter
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Prime wrote:
Tribble wrote:It is difficult to make certain things succinct :?
Exactly! It feels like trying to type out an SMS online, on a vintage cellular phone :roll:
In the last two years, I think I have sent 10 sms's with more than 160 characters (and I don't butcher the English Language). Just make your message smaller for twitter - it is not hard. Cut all the superfluous bs.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Prime - Start a blog and document your journey there. I have hidden mine but most people put links and stuff around so that people can find and read them :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tribble wrote:I have hidden mine
Thanks, I might have accidentally clicked on it otherwise :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

jamin_za, by hidden I mean I have not posted my blog here or anywhere :lol: There are only 3 people that know where it is :lol:
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Tribs, you mean this one?