DAE_JA_VOO.com (HUGE Update!)

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO.com (HUGE Update!)

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

How's it guys. My newest sponsor - Nomadic - is hooking me up with my own domain. It's gonna be http://www.daejavoo.com

I'm very very amped about getting my own site, and a proper one at that. However, as nice as it is getting my own domain, i can't do a thing with it because i don't know jack about web development. I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Is there anyone here who can build quality sites (ahem maxxis :P )? Anyone know of someone who i can contact?

Most of all, what's this going to cost me? I'm not keen on forking out 20 billion dollars for my site. lol.

Thanks in advance

God Bless

Ettienne
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 25 May 2010, 02:35, edited 3 times in total.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

What is the purpose of your site... that will largely dictate what skills will be needed to get what your aiming for...

Just don't ask CesarePlay 'cause he is still trying to figure out how to get a java script menu with pictures thingy going :twisted:
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

thEnaileDonE wrote:What is the purpose of your site... that will largely dictate what skills will be needed to get what your aiming for...

Just don't ask CesarePlay 'cause he is still trying to figure out how to get a java script menu with pictures thingy going :twisted:
I think the purpose of his site will be to promote his skills in modding and provide infromation to other people like how to's :P

Ettienne congrats with the 3rd sponsor and the domain, for someone to build a website it depends on quality, detail, information on the site and also fro maintenance of the site,

Why nog copy ur WHOLE blog over to ur domain :P

will be a mission but worth trying :)
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

i think you should put all your mods on your site from your first to the one you are doing right now and you should also put some basic skills on modding for people to learn how to do it
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I reckon you should rather use something simple like a content management system (Joomla!, Mambo, etc.) so that you can update it yourself rather than having to ask maxxis or whoever to do it all the time. It'll take you a few hours to get used to how it works, but once you have it figured out it's really simple.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks for the replies guys :D

Yeah the site will be dedicated to my modding and it'll have all my updates and modding guides and i'll see if i can get my blog over there too, that would be great.

schase, that's a fantastic idea. I was really stressing because i'll want to update the site often but i won't know how to :?

Hmmm.... i'll talk to maxxis and see what her says.

Thanks again guys :)
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote: i'll talk to maxxis and see what her says.

Thanks again guys :)
:lol:
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Do you have Office, is Frontpage installed?

It's fairly easy to work with.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ROFL

Whoops :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hman wrote:Do you have Office, is Frontpage installed?

I have office yes, but the student edition, so it doesn't have Frontpage :?
Hman

Post by Hman »

I've got Frontpage, but my skillz are ok, but not amazing.

Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Hman wrote:Do you have Office, is Frontpage installed?

I have office yes, but the student edition, so it doesn't have Frontpage :?
Indeed Frontpage is nice and easy to work with as its a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You get) App.

and also Drag n Drop, i used it in eruope for a comapnys website and its perfect :P
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
CesarePlay

Re: I need someone to build my website. Any suggestions?

Post by CesarePlay »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:How's it guys. My newest sponsor - Nomadic - is hooking me up with my own domain. It's gonna be www.daejavoo.com

I'm very very amped about getting my own site, and a proper one at that. However, as nice as it is getting my own domain, i can't do a thing with it because i don't know jack about web development. I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Is there anyone here who can build quality sites (ahem maxxis :P )? Anyone know of someone who i can contact?

Most of all, what's this going to cost me? I'm not keen on forking out 20 billion dollars for my site. lol.

Thanks in advance

God Bless

Ettienne
Hi. I can make you one if you want. I make good looking sites with some javascript functions as well. The only thing I can't do is a forum but I found tutorials for that. I would not charge a lot. What would you like on your site? I can give you samples of web designs I have done. I just have to touch them up a bit because of new techniques I have learnt. If you want experience I have 4 years experience with websites and I am a graphic designer too so you don't have to make a design. I can do that for you. I am fixing my companies website. Was ok looking but now I am fixing up graphics and functionality and expanding the webite. Depending on how much content you want it can take as little as a week to make. I work from about 8 till normally 10 doing websites. My website not urgent so I can do yours now. PM me if you are interested.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hmmm then i'll invest in that. Maybe i should just get myself an Office2007 package and get it over and done with. lol. I knew this day would come.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll chat to maxxis and see what i need to do :)
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Hours I work from is 8 in the morning till 10 at night. if you are wondering. I have a drop down menu program, can do calendars, polls, quizzes, photo galleries, roll overs, date, raindrop, snow etc. Got a lot of javascript code and I use dreamweaver mx and frontpage 2002 but am getting the new frontpage as well. Also planning to get goLive along with creative suite 2. Graphic program I use is photoshop 7 but planning to get photoshop cs2. Flash I am not 100% sure of but main ones are dreameaver mx and frontpage 2002. If you have a design pm me or I design one for you minimum charge.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Hey Ett.

Drop me a line tonight. Ill be on Gtalk.

Sounds like a fun project to work on :D
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

maxxis wrote:Hey Ett.

Drop me a line tonight. Ill be on Gtalk.

Sounds like a fun project to work on :D
Hi maxxis. Do you know how to make forums in both dreamweaver mx and frontpage 2002? I like to add a forum to my companies website but not sure how to do it. I have a tutorial but its not clear on how it actually works.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Not really the right thread for this but ill reply quick.

If you are looking to implement something like PhpBB or similar then just read the supplied instructions.

Coding a custom forum is quite tricky. Ive done that before and it wrecked my mind.
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Thanks I try that.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks for your replies guys :D

I'll let both of you know what i decide to do eventually. My main concern is that i really want to be able to update the site myself, and easily at that.

Thanks again ;)
Hman

Post by Hman »

If you've got Frontpage extensions on the server, there'll be nothing easier.

maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Thanks for your replies guys :D

I'll let both of you know what i decide to do eventually. My main concern is that i really want to be able to update the site myself, and easily at that.

Thanks again ;)
Think custom content manager. As ease as using word :D
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Seriously, a CMS like the aforementioned Joomla!/Mambo is far easier to update than Frontpage. Well, that's my opinion anyway. As maxxis says, it's as easy as using Word, once you understand how it basically works. But it will be no problem for a guy like you to figure out, DAE. If I could figure it out, anyone can!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

CesarePlay wrote:Hi maxxis. Do you know how to make forums in both dreamweaver mx and frontpage 2002? I like to add a forum to my companies website but not sure how to do it. I have a tutorial but its not clear on how it actually works.
Sorry for derailing this thread, but as the resident phpBB expert around here, I feel obliged to answer the question.

If you want to set up a phpBB forum, this is what you need:
  1. A webserver running on any major operating system (Apache/IIS/whatever)
  2. A SQL database, preferably MySQL, but you can get away with PostgreSQL or MSSQL.
  3. PHP installed on the webserver (at least version 4.0.3)
If your box or hosting account meets these requirements, it's simply a matter of downloading the package, unzipping it to your web directory and running the install script to populate the database with initial data, then going into the ACP and configuring it to your needs.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Hi Ett (sounds like a moutation of ET... ET Turbo or something!! :lol: )

Heres a little idea to generate some funds out of your site. As soon as the site gets hot and recieves more traffic flow, how about putting up an add or two.

Just a thought.

Also, regarding the site contents, what EXACTLY would you be putting on the site. Just interested in what this site might contain...

Cheers!!