Computer starts up but screen doesn't, please help

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
will i am

Computer starts up but screen doesn't, please help

Post by will i am »

Ok I have tried everything and nothing works. The problem started when my pc suddenly froze up yesterday afternoon so I restarted it thinking that it would fix it as usual but the screen never started up. The box itself sounds like it starts up fine its almost as if the screen stays in sleep mode with its little green light flashing ever so mockingly. I honestly don't know what I need to do but here's a list of what I've already tried any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1.Tried a different screen (tried both screen on the 2 gpu display ports and on the onboard display).....Nothing
2.Replaced the cpu with an identical one I had spare......nothing
3.Replaced new cpu fan(coolermaster silence) with Intel cpu standard........nothing
4.Replaced motherboard with an identical spare....nothing
5.Replaced power supply with one that is 200W stronger.....nothing
6.Replaced ram with identical spares......nothing
7.Tried running it from a spare windows hard drive.....nothing
8.Tried resetting the cmos and replaced bios battery......nothing
9.Replaced the power cord on both the case and screen....nothing
10. Let the screen discharge like a million times as well as switched it on and off another million...nothing

So in essence its basically a whole new rig apart from the case but its still giving the same problem, any thoughts?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Computer starts up but screen doesn't, please help

Post by KALSTER »

Do you have a graphics card or are you running off of onboard graphics?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Is it one of the new intel cpus with intigrated graphics? Have you tried replacing the gpu? See if the onboard/on chip gfx work?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
will i am

Post by will i am »

Yes I do have a graphics card an old gt240 if I'm correct the cpu is still from the old chips a dual 3ghz. I have tried plugging the screen into both gfx ports as we'll as the onboard display port. I have also tried replacing the gfx with the one from my main rig but still nothing.
will i am

Post by will i am »

Starting to think my case is cursed because that's the only thing I haven't replaced.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

will i am wrote:Starting to think my case is cursed because that's the only thing I haven't replaced.
So next thing to try then is to build your system out of the case and see what happens.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Probably a POST error of some sort. Any beeping to indicate this at all? (If there's no beeping because of no PC speaker installed, you may want to rectify that.)

Then, something that may be obvious but that I haven't seen mentioned: have you tried swapping out the VGA/DVI/HDMI/flavour-of-the-month cable?
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ron2K wrote:Then, something that may be obvious but that I haven't seen mentioned: have you tried swapping out the VGA/DVI/HDMI/flavour-of-the-month cable?
was thinking just this...

would be hilarious if we went through everything only to find the cable is dodge :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Except cables rarely gives issues. We still have our first mangled LAN cable lying around the house. But I have seen what happens when cables do go faulty or when cables itself are faulty.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Stupid question this but when you plug the monitor into the on board gfx did you remember to remove the discrete card first?

Otherwise yes try another cable. If still nothing, rebuild it outside of the case and see what happens
will i am

Post by will i am »

I started off by trying 2 different monitors, both monitors have standard vga blue cables. The First thing I tested were the vga and dvi (vga to dvi adapter)ports that are available on the gfx card, I tried both screens in both ports. After that I removed the gfx entirely and tested both screens on the motherboards gfx display port but doesn't change a thing.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

So I assume that both monitors were tested with separate cables.

Another thing you can try quickly is to disconnect every unnecessary bit of hardware completely (Optical drives, hard drives, fans...) so that just the motherboard, cpu and ram remain
will i am

Post by will i am »

I have tried that already STIG and rebooted a couple of times while in that state also reset the cmos and bios
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

This is strange maybe the case is cursed :lol: . I assume that both of these screens were analog, I don't think this would make any difference but have you tried a digital monitor with it. Then as was pointed out does it make any beeping noises(assuming the speaker is connected)?

Only thing left I suppose is to rebuild the pc outside the case