Time to retire my long serving core 2, but with what

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Time to retire my long serving core 2, but with what

Post by StarBound »

I've been pondering buying 32gb (8gb x4) gskill aris ram. I am just having trouble justifying R2k for ram...

http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?ma ... ts_id=7914
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:
Stuart wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the budget RAM you get at Matrix works as well as anything else.
Not saying that there is anything wrong with the ram, just that it is more expensive than the same stuff from places like rebeltech. Particularly their gaming ram
Really? I've never found them any more expensive than online stores. It's just that you have to wait while they order.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

nope they are definitely a bit more expensive and you have less choice.

Example. The ASUS P8Z77-V LX is R1734 at rebeltech and the same thing was R1900 when I looked at matrix about a week ago
naughty

Post by naughty »

how about this board here

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/Z77-F-P ... -67074.php

what i find very interesting about it is this
No-K OC Technology
Overclocking is no longer for K-series CPU users only, for those CPUs that aren’t K-series, ASRock No-K OC can unleash your CPU’s power by boosting its frequency with just one click.
not sure how this works but if it really does what it says on the tin then its pretty interesting
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

As I said I built a pc for a friend based around that mobo. Don't like it. Its more expensive than the extreme 4 but has two less sata 6gbps ports, the second pci - e slot is only 2.0 4x whereas the extreme 4 has two 3.0 slots that will run at 8x/8x with a card installed in both. And there is no official support for SLI, the sata ports are mounted upright instead of at an angle off the side of the board too.

But that is an interesting feature. Next time I go around to that friend I will see how that works , he has a i5 3330 installed
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well the price difference between the lower i5 and the higher one is R300? I'm inclined to say go for the 3570. But then the 3470 is 3.2ghz. Any i5 will do at the end... just not those with the T suffix.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Ok the 3470 seems like a good option. Oh yes definitely not the T models
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

look if you going to get a Z77 you might as well get a K chip, yes you can still OC non k chip.However the problem is you have to increase the voltage and bclk to get some OCing done, and still you wouldn't get as far as with the K chips.If you do go ivy, get a after market cooler ;)

Secondly if you not going to CF or sli, you're wasting your time as well, another problem is the thermal paste on ivy chips, which have a slight problem also the die shrinkage is giving of a lot more heat, which make it a dog too oc.

Honestly you be better off with a gigabyte B75m D3H, which allows for 32 gig ram, has CF support gen 3 pcie, usb 3, but the only let down is only 1 sataIII port, not like you will actually get SATAIII speeds on standard HDD's, but handy for a SSD.

I have a b75m and a 128GB SSD on it with another 3 x 1tb HDD's no problem what so ever.Just remember if you thinking the higher end boards are faster, well they not faster.If you still want the 77 chipset have a look then at the H77 boards then.They still good value for money.

Don't offer the OC features but have full speed PCI-e port for cf or sli, and a healthier helping of SATAIII ports and some features the gigabyte B75m lack.If you are going to look at the B75 boards only look at the gigabyte b75m D3H which offers the best bang for buck out of all the b75's boards by any manufacture.

Make a turn on carbonite, you are registered there, sure you can pick up a nice little bundle.
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Dec 2012, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

StarBound wrote:Well the price difference between the lower i5 and the higher one is R300? I'm inclined to say go for the 3570. But then the 3470 is 3.2ghz. Any i5 will do at the end... just not those with the T suffix.
mhmmh why not, they are still the same, however they produce lower voltage and watts, they are geared towards, media and such, 3570 by any other name is still a 3570 ;)Even if they lack certain CPU features, it's unlikely that you have ever used those features in any ways, also think they lack integrated graphics, can't really remember.Which is really a moot point if you are a gamer.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The T series is lower volts, watts and clock speed. Think its 500mhz lower or something.

Quite honestly if you have an i5 or i7 you have no reason to overclock. Even my board and cpu that I bought and planned on overclocking ended up just going stock.
My Steam Screenshots

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

+1 actually 2500K is still gets the job done on stock, without a sweat...getting 19535 vantage points on my rig bar the h61 have a b75 now, want to add a physx card now which should push it a little over 20k :D
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I've stopped looking at benchmarks not directly related to what I use my system for. Gaming my i7 3930k does as well as a i7 3770k but the power cost is just under twice and the framerate stays nearly the same. Even that said the i5 isn't even too far off and that is stock clocked. @4ghz OC the power consumption on the i7 does not compliment the gaming experience as it stays the same.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

wizardofid30 wrote:look if you going to get a Z77 you might as well get a K chip, yes you can still OC non k chip.However the problem is you have to increase the voltage and bclk to get some OCing done, and still you wouldn't get as far as with the K chips.If you do go ivy, get a after market cooler ;)

Secondly if you not going to CF or sli, you're wasting your time as well, another problem is the thermal paste on ivy chips, which have a slight problem also the die shrinkage is giving of a lot more heat, which make it a dog too oc.

Honestly you be better off with a gigabyte B75m D3H, which allows for 32 gig ram, has CF support gen 3 pcie, usb 3, but the only let down is only 1 sataIII port, not like you will actually get SATAIII speeds on standard HDD's, but handy for a SSD.

I have a b75m and a 128GB SSD on it with another 3 x 1tb HDD's no problem what so ever.Just remember if you thinking the higher end boards are faster, well they not faster.If you still want the 77 chipset have a look then at the H77 boards then.They still good value for money.

Don't offer the OC features but have full speed PCI-e port for cf or sli, and a healthier helping of SATAIII ports and some features the gigabyte B75m lack.If you are going to look at the B75 boards only look at the gigabyte b75m D3H which offers the best bang for buck out of all the b75's boards by any manufacture.

Make a turn on carbonite, you are registered there, sure you can pick up a nice little bundle.
Well with regards to SLI support. I have never been much of a fan of it but I would like to have a mobo that can do it in case I would like to give that a try. Have looked at that gigabyte board, still prefer the asrock which also supports up to 32gb ram I think and the 1 sata 6 port put me off for future proofing sake I would like a few more than 1 :wink: But mostly I am dead set on Z77 :lol:

Have been watching for good deals on carbonate, particularly for a good deal on a i5 2500k

StarBound wrote:The T series is lower volts, watts and clock speed. Think its 500mhz lower or something.

Quite honestly if you have an i5 or i7 you have no reason to overclock. Even my board and cpu that I bought and planned on overclocking ended up just going stock.
I must agree actually, there is no reason to overclock them. More than enough power as it is
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Stig You not going to get full SATAIII speeds on a single HDD not even raid will give you full SATAIII speeds.And there is no such thing as future proofing with intel.If you going to raid with SSD then having extra sataIII ports is handy...

I changed my SATAIII 1tb onto the single sataIII port and gained about 35mb/s on it from the standard 100mb's I get from SATAII, really it's a moot point.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I think my Intel SSD is running on the sata2 controller and I am still getting 230mb/s read speeds on it. My kinstones are running on sata3 and getting 450mb/s copy speeds but they are sata3 devices.

Stupid sata numbering system.
My Steam Screenshots

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

I assume the kingston's are raid ?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

wizardofid30 wrote:Stig You not going to get full SATAIII speeds on a single HDD not even raid will give you full SATAIII speeds.And there is no such thing as future proofing with intel.If you going to raid with SSD then having extra sataIII ports is handy...

I changed my SATAIII 1tb onto the single sataIII port and gained about 35mb/s on it from the standard 100mb's I get from SATAII, really it's a moot point.
Still I would like more than 1 of them. And for them to be mounted at an angle off the side of the mobo so I make things even neater inside the case, and that way they dont get blocked by big graphics cards. Already I cant use the top most sata port on my current mobo

I know Intel like killing off sockets after a relatively short time but intend to keep this setup for the next 5 years so the extra usb 3.0 ports and sata 6 ports might be useful. I dont do major upgrades that often
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

wizardofid30 wrote:I assume the kingston's are raid ?
I don't do raid. they are AHCI.
My Steam Screenshots

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

The b75 doesn't have sata ports issue, I am adding my 8800GTS for physx card, even with the 5870 and 8800GTS which both are dual slot cooler no problems.However cabling is an issue.I don't care much for cabling, it is neat and out of the way, don't care much for the out of sight cleanliness, if it works it works the end.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anyway there are better options at pretty much the same price. That board is about R900 and the entry level z77's are only a slight bit more(I think the entry level MSI z77 is R1000). I am seriously OCD over the neatness of cables :lol:

I have pretty much decided to take the asrock extreme 4. Its just the CPU which I am unsure off
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

well if you getting that, get a K chip, will help a lot in 5 years time to add some extra juice, you never know. K chips are also a goldmine. My 2500K will still get 1.8k mid next year.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Will keep an eye out for a 2500k going for a good price
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

And please , please stop hoarding, and sell that old system and get some monies back :D
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

wizardofid30 wrote:And please , please stop hoarding, and sell that old system and get some monies back :D
:lol: you know I cant do that
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sigh it was worth a try :(