friends psu

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: friends psu

Post by wizardofid »

KALSTER wrote:So my PSU it happily purring away, blissfully unaware of its own mediocrity. :?
look it's still better than most no name stuff problem is, these budget psu's are still not good, still bigger risk to go fizzle pop and take the whole system with them.

also large ripples on loads meaning the power it isn't 100% stable as it should be, those ripples on loads, would kill a HDD pretty quickly and some caps quickly.

they basically skimped on psu features and as far as that goes, that isn't very good, a 500watt psu isn't just a 500watt psu any more like it use to be.Hardware is much smaller and more sensitive to how clean the power is and how big the ripples are.

Don't take it the wrong way, it will die long before the others psu's, but it won't always go silently, not worth the risk, it's the only piece of hardware that gets over looked, also the most important :wink:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Yep. I have come across some indescribably terrible psu's in the many pc's I have around here, one is so bad that when I test the 12v rail the voltage fluctuates between 10.9 - 12.9 volts constantly :shock: so I used it as parts . There is another one which makes the most annoying high pitched noise(a eroTeck I think), and one in which they put caps rated for just 6.3 volts, where 12v is flowing so all of them were burst :shock:

The surprise was an old mercer 200w. That thing is build brilliantly nothing but high quality components in there and rock steady supply of 12.2v (same with the 5v and 3.3v rails), not made by mercer themselves of course
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well no talking about the really bad ones just talking about, it could be better ones.Filtering on huntkey's, odin's and CM's is perfectly horrid to be honestly.

Look you going to pay at least 1k for a 80+ rated psu, but trust me when I say well worth it, even have a 3 year warranty on it, had I gone with a HX750 would have gotten a 5 year or AX750 7 years.Nearly got the HX750 but that was 1.4K, didn't really need it.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Then you get the odd Procase PSU that just never give out. Still have an old 300W one that could power my old 8600GTS no problems.

The PSU I had before the Huntkey was an AOpen 700W that I bought second hand. Did some research on it and found out that it was made by the same people that build Corsair PSU's. It died after a power surge, but the rest of my PC was undamaged.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:Then you get the odd Procase PSU that just never give out. Still have an old 300W one that could power my old 8600GTS no problems.

The PSU I had before the Huntkey was an AOpen 700W that I bought second hand. Did some research on it and found out that it was made by the same people that build Corsair PSU's. It died after a power surge, but the rest of my PC was undamaged.
Glad you bring up procase, that is what had the capacitors rated at too low a voltage.....it was a 300w model(old one though, 2002 I think) as well :roll: still worked with the dead caps

Yep. I think FSP do most of the Aopen PSU's have a few here is just the one that died but at least it did not take the rest of the pc with it

But really, just save up and get a half decent PSU. R400 odd wont get you a good one :wink:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Actually interesting fact, some of these psu's also skimp, on surge protection, and numerous other little features, that would prevent the psu from blowing up in a pile of smoke, odin's, CM, huntkey are guilty of this.Then also some of these psu's still use old atx designs, then adds newer tech to it, example atx 12 volt and pci-e, they are not designed to run with newer systems.You will know you have an old design, if you get a voltage reading for -5 volt.

Up to date psu's should not have a -5volt.