Think my graphics card has finally given up.

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Think my graphics card has finally given up.

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi guys,

It's a sad day for me. Last night I turned my pc on to notice that it restarted a few times the froze while booting. Eventually it came on and I managed to watch a few episodes of mythbusters before bed.

This morning I turned it on and no problem. Then while browsing some pages the display froze and I could not do anything. I waited a few minutes hoping. Restarted the pc and now it won't display at any resolution beyond 800x600 on my 23" monitor.

I belive this to be my graphics card but if you think it is something else please advise me.

So i need help because I am on a tight budget and I need a graphics card. What can I get now that won't need power source like my current 6600gt. Currently I am running a 350watt power supply and don't have the cash to get new one and new graphics card.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
:smile:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Think my graphics card has finally given up.

Post by StarBound »

AMD 7770 or 6770? But if its your card won't it simply just stop working? Have you tried reinstalling drivers?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Hmm thanks. I will give that a try tomorrow.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

So i tested that is the graphics card by removing it and using the on board graphics. PC boots fine now and only problem is that the on board can only support up to 1600x1200 so I will get a new card and hope that solves it all.

With the old card in the pc can't get past the starting windows screen.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

My brothers pc had almost exactly the same problem. I removed the card, used the on board to get into windows and uninstalled the drivers. Then put the card back in, booted to windows no problem and then installed the drivers again. Worked perfectly after that and still is
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Ah awesome I will try that thanks.

If it doesn't work though then it's still ok I updated the on board graphics drivers and now the on board supports HD. :smile:

So either way I won't have to buy a budget card now. Can save a bit and get me new psu first.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

THE_STIG wrote:My brothers pc had almost exactly the same problem. I removed the card, used the on board to get into windows and uninstalled the drivers. Then put the card back in, booted to windows no problem and then installed the drivers again. Worked perfectly after that and still is
I'd try this as well.

A while ago I helped a guy fix his pc. It kept hanging on boot with a blank screen (after someone else "fixed" it). Safe mode start up revealed it was hanging just as the graphics drivers load. Went into Safe mode with VGA and uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, installed an older version of the drivers I handily had on a PCF disc.

Problem solved.

3 Weeks later the guy contacts me with the same problem. After it was at the same buffoon who broke it in the first place. Fixed the problem and told the guy never to take the pc to the idiot.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

So just to update you guys. The problem was that the pc would not even post with the graphics card in. Anyway it is all good now I managed to get a zotac 9800gt 1gb for free :shock:

Think I am set to play some decent games for a while now.

Thanks for the help.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me