New 1TB/1.5TB SATA2 HDD Suggestion?

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
Jikiness

New 1TB/1.5TB SATA2 HDD Suggestion?

Post by Jikiness »

Hi guys. I'm looking for either a 1tb or 1.5tb SATA2 internal drive but I haven't bought new hardware in forever so I don't know which brands i should be looking at. I do remember reading Seagate, I think it was Seagate, went through a period where they had some really bad batches of 1TB+ drives that had very high failure rates from bad firmware but I imagine that has been resolved by now? I tried to find some other "help me pick components for my build" topics but there aren't many recently it seems and most of the time when it came to HDD's, no one would go into specifics and would simply say, "A 1TB will suit your needs". I'm not going to be running RAID, I'm going to use the drive just for general storage and won't be running "intense" programs off any sorts of the drive so does it not really matter which brand and model i go for as long as i stay away from the drives that have had high failure rates?

Caio
RuadRauFlessa

Re: New 1TB/1.5TB SATA2 HDD Suggestion?

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Caio.... the end point of any discussion regarding hdd's will get to the point where someone will concede that it does not matter. Either Seagate or Western Digital should suit you just fine. You can have a look at Samsung drives as I have heard of people who are satisfied and they are a tad cheaper than their Seagate and WD counterparts. For a primary drive you should not need anything more than 500Gb drive. Oh and I would suggest you get one drive for your OS. If you want to re-install without going through a lengthy backup process you would want a secondary drive installed to hold all your data.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

OS: if you're after performance, an SSD is the way to go. They're still unaffordable for most people though.
Data: This is where you'd go for your 1/1.5 TB drive. Can definitely recommend Western Digital. Haven't used Samsung so no opinion there; recommend that you stay as far away from Seagate as possible.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ok So there you go..... WD as big as your heart desires.... and trust me if you are not only going to store word documents and such I would suggest you have a look at 2TB drives... Their prices are coming down nicely at the moment. If you check where and what you buy you can get a decent 2TB for less than 2x1TB.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Even a "green" 2TB drive would be nice. Seagate has one going for about R800 online.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

The cheap stuff works for me just fine :)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
zimmer-frame

Post by zimmer-frame »

Currently using 2 x 1Tb Samsungs and 2 x 1Tb Seagates. Lost one of the Samsung Spinpoints a few weeks ago, was about 4 months old.. Had a new drive through the warranty claim within 48hrs though.
Intel i-7 950 (4Ghz with HT on) / 3 X 2Gb Kingston Hyper-X (1600MHz) / MSI X58A-GD / 2 x EVGA Nvidia 1Gb 460GTX SuperClocked External Exhaust / 320gb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD + 2 x Seagate 1TB SATA 6Gb/s/ Corsair H70 Hydro Water Cooling / Corsair TX 850W PSU / CoolerMaster HAF-922 / 2 x 22" Fujitsu LCD Wide
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Nice support you got there zimmer... same as much of the stories I have heard.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Jikiness

Post by Jikiness »

Thanks guys, this is exactly what i needed :) Currently have WD's in all my PC's as far as i know and they've been going for ages.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

MAXTOR FTW!!!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Stuart wrote:MAXTOR FTW!!!
:slap:
Hman

Post by Hman »

Ron2K wrote:
He sees you spinning, he hatin'.

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Hman wrote:
Ron2K wrote:
He sees you spinning, he hatin'.
Spinnin' an' burnin',
Your platters in tatters.
No time to mourn and mull,
Your data's in /dev/null.

Word.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

But on a more serious note, either Seagate or Western Digital would be fine. I'll be looking for a 1TB/2TB drive at the end of the month and I'm probably going to buy a Seagate drive, purely because I haven't owned a WD drive before.
Hman

Post by Hman »

I'm also eyeing a 2TB Seagate, I'd go for the slower "Green" variety. Because I'm cheap and I'll use it for docs, vids etc. freeing up my 1TB and 500GB to run only the os and games.

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Hmmm...

Seagate May Buy Samsung HDD Unit
Seagate has come under substantial pressure when Western Digital announced that it would buy Hitachi's HDD unit for $4.3 billion, making it the leading HDD maker worldwide.

Fortunately, Samsung's HDD unit appears to be for sale as well and, at least according to the Wall Street Journal, it appears that Seagate is an interested buyer.
While HDDs are still see as dominant mass storage products in applications where cheap storage is attractive (servers, PCs, notebooks) it makes sense that Samsung condenses its product portfolio and considers a sale of its money-losing HDD unit. The opportunity in Flash memory, where Samsung has the dominant lead, may be more attractive in the long run for the company, especially if tablets will be as successful as analysts predict.
FaeMinx

Post by FaeMinx »

Hman wrote:Even a "green" 2TB drive would be nice. Seagate has one going for about R800 online.
Any chance of a link? I'm in the process of choosing components for a new system (my previous one is about 9 years old)... I was going to stick with my 320GB Western Digital, but if I can get a 1TB or 2TB for about that price online I would leap at the opportunity!
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

FaeMinx wrote:
Hman wrote:Even a "green" 2TB drive would be nice. Seagate has one going for about R800 online.
Any chance of a link? I'm in the process of choosing components for a new system (my previous one is about 9 years old)... I was going to stick with my 320GB Western Digital, but if I can get a 1TB or 2TB for about that price online I would leap at the opportunity!
That pricing was before the flooding in Thailand that knocked a few HDD factories offline and hence resulted in prices going up due to constrained supply. Pricing has yet to stabilise; that same hard drive currently goes for around R1,300.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

And to think I got my 2TB Samsung at a special for R580 only a few months before the flood!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W