Samsung Galaxy Tab review

Any news articles that the G3AR team posts will go in here.
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Samsung Galaxy Tab review

Post by Drakonis »

Hardware
At first glance the Samsung Galaxy Tab appears to be a half-hearted attempt at competing with the iPad. The 7” screen does not look nearly as impressive as the iPad’s 10” whopper but the smaller screen has the benefit of reducing battery drain
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab review

Post by Tribble »

I am tired of reading reviews on the tab - ones that have nothing nice to say, that is. I love mine - and no matter how much people attack it - I think it is a beautiful piece of equipment which gives me exactly what I need. It is fast, stable, compact and convenient. And it is damn sexy too.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I think it's a little unfair that the Galaxy Tab's review scores are so heavily affected by the price tag. An objective review has no business making such strong judgments on something so relative.

//accidental troll
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

In South Africa price is a big factor. The iPad has a larger screen size and costs less. You can never dismiss price in a review.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

the galaxy has 2 camera's, true multi-tasking and zero limitation on applications... how do you get away with comparing it to an iFail product?... they aren't even in the same league.. :/

that being said, i still don't get the point behind these devices... over-sized PDAs for the technologically addicted marketing victim...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KillerByte wrote:In South Africa price is a big factor. The iPad has a larger screen size and costs less. You can never dismiss price in a review.
Money doesn't have a fixed value. When sane people buy something, they judge whether something is expensive or not based on the alternative uses for that amount of money. That's what the true "cost" of anything is. You've affirmed this yourself by mentioning the iPad, but you wrongly assume that people would always pick a larger screen over the Galaxy Tab being compact or the iFail OS over Android. Those things are up to the individual to decide.

How do you explain GPUs with only a 15% performance increase over another and still having a 100% price difference? To the hardcore gamer it may be worthwhile, not so much to the casual/ indie gamer.

Add the fact that people have varying amounts of disposable income and pricing becomes even less relevant.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Tribble wrote:I am tired of reading reviews on the tab - ones that have nothing nice to say, that is. I love mine - and no matter how much people attack it - I think it is a beautiful piece of equipment which gives me exactly what I need. It is fast, stable, compact and convenient. And it is damn sexy too.
Have to agree with you. A mate of mine got one with his cellphone contract. His wife liked it so much , she got the same contract. They use it for all sorts of things.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I use mine daily - the only thing I don't really use is the phone, unless someone decides to call that instead of my actual phone. It is an awesome speaker phone though but I am not organised enough to have my Bluetooth charged. I do believe it works really well with a BT headset. I have antivirus on it and use an app called Android Assistant to manage my usage. I have apps that do all sorts of things - too many perhaps but my Tab is never slow.

So what if it was expensive - not really problem at this stage. And the 3G/HSDPA and Wifi are stable. Download speeds are great and it provides hours of entertainment. Dolphin browser is just the best with all the add-ins.

All I can say is that, being an owner of the tab, makes me infinitely more qualified to say whether the price is justified or not :lol: And I say it was.