PFC 197 august 2013 WTF?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
cyberhost

PFC 197 august 2013 WTF?

Post by cyberhost »

Hello,

Got home today with my August copy of PCF and firstly the cover disc is unreadable.

Wost of all..... Think the printers were smoking some weed when they printed the mag.

All M, K, and and two letter combination with M... EG: MS

Have been replaced by symbols like $ # Ç

Page 27 started:

"if we're talking in terÇ of pure co$onentery"

This makes the mag pretty un-readable.

Now do I take it back to Pick n Pay for a refund? Or will PCF offer its readers some kind of appology and send us a free issue?

StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: PFC 197 august 2013 WTF?

Post by StarBound »

They might reprint the page and mention it in the editorial. You can ask them to replace the disc, pretty sure they do it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, they'll replace the disc, I'm sure. One of the staff will probably pop in here later to offer some sort of apology.
Valshen
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Valshen »

Hi Cyberhost

Sadly there was an issue when the magazine was sent to print which caused these symbols to appear ($ every time 'mp' is in a word, for example.)
We have put systems and checks in place to make sure that this does not happen in future. I apologise for this.

Could you please mail me (garth@panorama.co.za) your PO Box and details so that we can send you a new disc?
cyberhost

Post by cyberhost »

StarBound wrote:They might reprint the page and mention it in the editorial. You can ask them to replace the disc, pretty sure they do it.
Yeah this was not a page but rather the whole magazine. Made it mainly un readable
iLiFo

Post by iLiFo »

ub readable, I think not I finished reading the magazine last night and quickly got use to the error adding the mp where needed. not the end of the world type of issue.
----------------------------------------
NIXON'S BACK!!
ImageImageImage
cyberhost

Post by cyberhost »

iLiFo wrote:ub readable, I think not I finished reading the magazine last night and quickly got use to the error adding the mp where needed. not the end of the world type of issue.
Point is R44.95 means I paid for a product to which I did not receive a level of satisfaction that is enshrined in the consumer rights protection act.

At the end of the day I buy the magazine in good faith that all appropriate measures have been taken to assure me of a product that meets my satisfaction. That being said, I should not have to sit there and decipher what symbol represents what letter or combination.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

cyberhost wrote:Yeah this was not a page but rather the whole magazine. Made it mainly un readable
Will be honest, its been ages since I picked up a PCF mag so I don't know about the issue. But if it is unreadable then it should be replaceable, as Valshen already pointed out. So just contact them.

iLiFo I like puzzles in my games but having a mag be the puzzle is taking it a bit far :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

My disc is unreadable too. I will also send an email. Strangely so was the Nag disc
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

I wanted to look up $3 players in your co$uter magazine, but the search is coming up e$ty.
Co$licating my aggravation is that I paid R44.95 for this co$lete crap, and the acco$anyign cd is co$letely unreadable!
It is si$ly i$ossible to understand!
Where/how do I apply for a refund?
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

The disk is unreadable,
All occurrences of the character pair (m p) have been substituted with a dollar sign
And my comments to this effect are being moderated out of existence.
Thank you for the very clear message, I do solemnly promise never to purchase this magazine again.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

cyberhost wrote: Point is R44.95 means I paid for a product to which I did not receive a level of satisfaction that is enshrined in the consumer rights protection act.
Stuff the CPA. My last ever PCF went out with the garbage yesterday.

I vote with my hard earned money. :/
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Marvin wrote:The disk is unreadable,
All occurrences of the character pair (m p) have been substituted with a dollar sign
Thank you for the very clear message, I do solemnly promise never to purchase this magazine again.
Lol, slow down there champ. All users' first posts are held in moderation.
cyberhost

Post by cyberhost »

Tribble wrote:My disc is unreadable too. I will also send an email. Strangely so was the Nag disc
I took mine back to Pick and pay and they were more than happy to issue a refund. No questions asked. Just go back to the retailer you purchased it from (providing you have the receipt)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I don't sadly
Valshen
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Valshen »

Marvin wrote:The disk is unreadable,

Hi Marvin

Sorry to hear you feel that way. This really was a case of a computer messing something up after a whole week of checks and balances. We have added another check to make sure this never happens again. To put it in perspective of how unlikely this is of happening, this is the first time mp has been turned into $ signs in 197 issues.

I sincerely apologise for the magazine not being as amazing as it should have been.
Valshen
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Valshen »

doo_much wrote:
Stuff the CPA. My last ever PCF went out with the garbage yesterday.

I vote with my hard earned money. :/
I am really sorry to hear you feel that way. I know you are a forum veteran and you are very active on here, which makes hearing that even more hurtful. Yes, a mistake happened. A computer that hasn't messed up on this process ever suddenly messed up. It is embarrassing and frustrating that after so much work went into the magazine, a PDF conversion for the printing company added over 200 mistakes to an issue of the PCF. So now we have another check just to make sure something like this never happens again.

I'm sincerely apologise and hope that you will reconsider.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Kinda carpy way to start your tenure Valshen? In plain Afrikaans - sterkte.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Perhaps you can rerelease the fixed faulty copy and double it with the new issue. Your printer owes you the run for free don't they? If not - call it a PR exercise
iLiFo

Post by iLiFo »

issue 198 is awesome, nice competition to make up for the faulty 197 issue :D
----------------------------------------
NIXON'S BACK!!
ImageImageImage
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

This was not the fault of our printers.

This was caused by the Mac that our designer uses corrupting the final PDFs. Unfortunately previous quality control methods did not foresee such a problem occurring and thus it was not picked up.

As always if your disc is faulty then email us and we will be more than happy to replace it. In fact we need faulty discs because they have to be sent back to the manufacturer to find out why it was faulty.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.