Luis Section

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
senile

Re: Luis Section

Post by senile »

Ron2K wrote: It's OK to be ignorant, it's not OK to be stupid.
Luis is stupid. Chuck him out.
juDge

Post by juDge »

Ron2K wrote:You're confusing ignorance and stupidity. It's OK to be ignorant, it's not OK to be stupid.
No not confused at all but I see why you prefer ignorance over stupidity.
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
MSI 570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III Power Edition OC
Coollermaster HAF 922 Case
Coollermaster Extreme 550w PSU
Samsung 24" LED S24A350H 2ms
_Terry_

Post by _Terry_ »

I don't agree with all this raging about Luis. A few years ago I would always read his pages as soon as I received a fresh copy of PC Format. It's still the same today. I agree his answers are sarcastic and not always helpful, but that's not what they're intended to be. The ask Luis section is an entertainment section with a few helpful and sarcastic tips thrown in. In my opinion he is just getting better with his 'third person troubleshooter' take on a help section. So just enjoy his section for what it is or we'll most likely end up with even more GEAR stuff...
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Ron2K wrote:You're confusing ignorance and stupidity. It's OK to be ignorant, it's not OK to be stupid.
Say what?

Perhaps you are confusing the two? :D

I guess if I write into a finance magazine looking for some help on the stock exchange (a subject I know diddly squat on) and I get a Luis style answer, I would not be too impressed with the publication. Unless the mag states beforehand that the "Ask a question" section is not be be taking seriously and not to expect any valueble responses to my query, then yes, I will take it as it comes.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

LOL, yeah. Stupid people can't help being stupid, ignorant people on the other hand can educate themselves.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
senile

Post by senile »

IcePick88 wrote:
I guess if I write into a finance magazine looking for some help on the stock exchange (a subject I know diddly squat on) and I get a Luis style answer, I would not be too impressed with the publication. Unless the mag states beforehand that the "Ask a question" section is not be be taking seriously and not to expect any valueble responses to my query, then yes, I will take it as it comes.
I have to agree. A disclaimer of sorts somewhere on the page. That said, they can do better than Luis if all they want is entertainment. Luis is a pommy and his humor does not apply to South Africans.. (o.k. maybe just me then)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I think the guys on this forum could do so much better - like mousey, puppy, ryan, DJV, Anky, Synth, Molean, Kalster....... the list is endless. They are all funnier and more sarcastic than he is. And they are more or less "local".

Why not start a thread where these questions are posted. Let the guys answer them and then select the best answers for the mag? Even run it alongside Luis and see what sort of a response you get. Memes are dying out - perhaps replace it with Forumite Advice and generate more traffic to the forum.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea that sounds like a awesome idea :D and I think they will give better advice as well :)

Luis often just goes off on a tangent and then gives no useful advice :(
senile

Post by senile »

Tribble wrote:I think the guys on this forum could do so much better - like mousey, puppy, ryan, DJV, Anky, Synth, Molean, Kalster....... the list is endless. They are all funnier and more sarcastic than he is. And they are more or less "local".

Why not start a thread where these questions are posted. Let the guys answer them and then select the best answers for the mag? Even run it alongside Luis and see what sort of a response you get. Memes are dying out - perhaps replace it with Forumite Advice and generate more traffic to the forum.
Tribble, I hereby present you with the award of Best idea for PCF magazine in 10 years

DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

senile wrote:
Tribble wrote:I think the guys on this forum could do so much better - like mousey, puppy, ryan, DJV, Anky, Synth, Molean, Kalster....... the list is endless. They are all funnier and more sarcastic than he is. And they are more or less "local".

Tribble, I hereby present you with the award of Best idea for PCF magazine in 10 years

That would be awesome. I second/third Tribble's idea :)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ I just hope the PCF staff also think it is a good idea
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Because rusty, Anakha and me writing for PCF sounds genius. How quickly do you want these guys to go out of business?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Can't be any worse than the last few of Luis' efforts?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Can't be any worse than the last few of Luis' efforts?
You, sir, underestimate me.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I still think it is a good idea, and I am sure there are more than just 3 of you who will give "advice".
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I do not have many brilliant ideas - but this, dear mousey, is one of them. I would subscribe again just to read the section.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

And I with they would bring back that "DownLoad" section where they would have a "Your Say" part at the bottom of the page where comments form PCF forum members would be placed. Tribs(it said spoon inspector under you name :lol: ) you were in there once, if I am not mistaken it was the May 2009 mag and the article was about "Spotify....A great idea or mildly sinister" and Jamin was in that one as well( :lol: "resident pervert" is what it said under his name). And Ron, RRF, Anakha, Sp......were also in the mag at some point back then.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
No I don't. Since Tribs' idea makes provision for some editorial input, the waffle can stay right here in electronic limbo and only the good stuff will make it to print.

As long as KB doesn't do the editorial bit however...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, I would certainly not say no to a chance to feature in the mag. I'll probably frame it! :) It might be interesting to have a little PCF forum corner, though I highly doubt that it will happen. They are just finished trying to disassociate the forum from PCF due to the powers that be complaining, no?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

THE_STIG wrote:And I with they would bring back that "DownLoad" section where they would have a "Your Say" part at the bottom of the page where comments form PCF forum members would be placed. Tribs(it said spoon inspector under you name :lol: ) you were in there once, if I am not mistaken it was the May 2009 mag and the article was about "Spotify....A great idea or mildly sinister" and Jamin was in that one as well( :lol: "resident pervert" is what it said under his name). And Ron, RRF, Anakha, Sp......were also in the mag at some point back then.
You are correct - I was quoted a few times. Spoon inspector bwahahahahahaha oh that does bring back fond memories. I had forgotten that title. All Anky's fault.
KALSTER wrote:Well, I would certainly not say no to a chance to feature in the mag. I'll probably frame it! :) It might be interesting to have a little PCF forum corner, though I highly doubt that it will happen. They are just finished trying to disassociate the forum from PCF due to the powers that be complaining, no?
Well I would definitely read it.
doo_much wrote:
Stuart wrote:
No I don't. Since Tribs' idea makes provision for some editorial input, the waffle can stay right here in electronic limbo and only the good stuff will make it to print.

As long as KB doesn't do the editorial bit however...
And they would only have to print the best responses. I think this idea should be brought to their attention.

BRETTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looky here!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmm perhaps I will put it on the FB page :twisted:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:Because rusty, Anakha and me writing for PCF sounds genius. How quickly do you want these guys to go out of business?
Wait what? Me write for PCF?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: WORST IDEA EVER! I cant write to save my life... :(
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh yes you can - and you are sarky and funny too. Would not have suggested it if I thought you couldn't
Peter K

Post by Peter K »

Hi, Luis

<gripe>
I should send you a :oops: (blushing emoticon) for your single (and simple) mindedness regarding FAT/NTFS defragging.

That someone with so many years experience in matters Windows (my MacroCrap^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^hicrosoft pain-n-suffering started in 1982 with MS-Dos 1.0) should be so as asenine, even referring to "benchmarks" that you wasted your time on, to not grab the essence of defragging, to wit, The Placebo Effect (TM).

The Pacebo Effect is indeed the only acceptable reason to use a defragger. Any defragger. Including the 'I know others are much better looking but ours is quicker because it hardly does anything'-version that ships with Windows.

In addition your storage medium gets 'exercised'. In the event of this medium being a flash drive, f'r instance, you reduce its useable life (but since some 'allow up to 100000 write/erase cycles', that should not matter). On hard drives, 'tho', whenever data is moved, the target area's bits are freshly written and verified; so you can rest assured that at least at the time of defragging, you not only could access the data prior to moving, you might even be able to access it afterwards. This has a beneficial effect on the psyche of the Defragger which will be rewarded by the brain's copious inducement of endorphins and therefor imbues a condition commonly known as 'peace of mind'.

The resultant reboot will produce a faster startup since the mind, still imbibed, experiences time more relative (that would be the opposite of what you feel when 'the deadline' looms, e.g.)

I trust that by now you feel suitably chastised and I expect no more of your nonsense in this regard. I suggest this message is categorized "I receive an error message"
</gripe>

Peter K
malesto696

Post by malesto696 »

hi all. ive been an avid reader of pcformat since the beginning. ive read all luis' letters, that doesn't change the fact that he is a prick. when teaching, you take the high road and become humble. sometimes the letters are amusing, the way he thinks his ***** doesnt stink. i would love to see him challenged. there has not been one letter to luis that i, a mere "mortal" could not answer. he has time and google to his advantage yet still insults the lessor. i laugh in your face luis villazon. i spelt that with lower case on porpose
Cyrax

Post by Cyrax »

Reads thread.. "cries"

Luis if you are reading.
You inspired me to study IT.
Today I am a force to be reckoned with thanks to you.
I cannot thank you enough for inspiring me.
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom 2 X6 T1100 @ 3.8Ghz "pelter cooled"
16GB 1800 kingston ram
Asus board "forgot chipset"
AMD 6890 2GB
Geforce 9800GT 512MB "physix re-enabled"
2x 80GB SDD in raid "for speed"
1.2KW PSU