no longer buying the mag

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Mclaren

Re: nno longer buying the mag

Post by Mclaren »

KillerByte wrote:I can assure you that PCF's sales are not dropping.
That is good to hear.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

We cover a lot of hardware but because games are some of the most intensive tasks that most systems will run how a motherboard, processor or GPU performs in a game is information most of our readers want to know.
While I use games as a benchmark I also use other applications to show off a piece of kits performance.

I still feel very strongly that PCF is a hardware magazine and then after the hardware section we show you what games you can run on your PC.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I can see Mclaren's point. Having to page through numerous pages of Sandy Bridge motherboards or Intel CPU's want to make me go mad, but I guess there is a marker for all this stuff.

The last issue was a winner with all the cooling tips. The whole mag had theme to it and it was nice. :D

You won't get everything you want in every single issue of PCF and it's something you have to live with. Much like life. :lol:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
jee

Post by jee »

Bladerunner wrote: Most magazines whose content I had enjoyed went out of business though: SACM, Computer Active, Intelligence (I think this one is off the market); and it is incredibly sad to see PCF now (seemingly) slowly descending down the same path. Sales decrease, rebranding, ... what next?

Actually, agreeing with Mclaren and Bladerunner. Coming from a non-gaming computer background (my first online post was in a SACM forum and that is where I learned about computers) I really really miss the three mags Bladerunner quoted. I use to get all of them, and bought them for our libraries. Nag was the gaming mag and that I bought for the manga/anime reviews. I have watched SA computer magazines move to a dribble - and as it was said before, concentrate more and more on gaming. Perhaps the "readers surveys" asking for more gaming information are caused due to the fact that its mainly read by gamers and that others (like a noob computer user or a librarian compiling her magazine quota for her users) picking up the mag notice the gaps and decide not to buy/subscribe because they might feel that PCF will not fulfill their needs.

I do enjoy PCF but its by far not sufficient and it is the only other SA computer magazine. There is a definite need for something like Computer Active. I think many of us expect/wish/pray/need/want PCF to be the All SA Computer Mag :) Some of us are forced to buys overseas mags like PCUtilities and Wired to get to the tech bits we need. Marketing, journalism and the cut-throat world of business probably have much to do with the changes. However, there will always be someone complaining. Do a great article on tablets (or MAC products) and a small number of people will complain. Do a comparison on printers and some will do the ZZZZZZZ dance.

I think a successful mag that will pleases everyone is as scarce as dandelion jam. :)
However, as McLaren said - if we do not make our voices heard, there will never be any change, and The Ed and co will never know that there are other requests out there. Not to complain so much, as to say - please, can you consider doing a z or Q. My suggestion will be (now that the mag is not on diet anymore :) to have a two/four page section every month that will deal with some "non-gaming" elements of computers. Something the ZZZZZZ'ers can skip to get to the rest of the goodies.

Oh, and I like it when a mag is themed :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Re: no longer buying the mag

Post by KillerByte »

and would you guys be happy if I put reviews of the more unique items on the site? Should a graphics tablet or printer cross my desk.
jee

Post by jee »

yes definitely :)

Killerbyte - I for one would like to see tablets/ipads/Kindles and other such things torn to pieces :) Or the e-Beam. Or ... you know.. its one thing to search the innerwebs for information, its another to haul out your pen and make notes in your mag where you know that you can trust the reviewer (if he misleads you you can always sic your dog on him :) )

oh and i hope we can get some Mac stuff ... i fell in love... and want loads of information :D purty please?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KillerByte wrote:I still feel very strongly that PCF is a hardware magazine
iffy statement. when last was virtualisation covered? NAS? media hubs? VC units?

articles covering the latest and greatest over-hyped piece of gaming drivel will run to 6 pages... articles covering any particular piece of kit? a few paragraphs - maybe a page or 2 if the reviewer gets really excited...

i firmly believe PCF has been selecting for gamers and as a result is now trending to gamers in nielsen... a tough market to compete in given the preponderance of gaming mags out there...

<this thread topic feels very familiar>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Yes. Absolutely. Would make us read the site too
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

you could do, but its still so nice to read something printed rather than my computer screen.

You know, one of the articles (the kind theats now missing) that sticks in my head the most is the little half page article on removing the pop up bubbles from xp.....that is kinda what i would like to see back (in addition to more of none gaming based hardware reviews).

Some cool registry hacks and some articles on using some of the software that is on your cover disc.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KillerByte wrote:and would you guys be happy if I put reviews of the more unique items on the site? Should a graphics tablet or printer cross my desk.
Any contribution to the site is welcome in my books.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mclaren wrote:you could do, but its still so nice to read something printed rather than my computer screen.
You could always use the G3AR printer recommendation to print out your required article for reading.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

An article explaining clouds (not the white fluffy kind) in terms that a dumb former blonde like me can understand - would be awesome. And if they could include how SQL databases could be hosted securely and safely in this cloud - well now that would make my year. Pitfalls would also be an added benefit if covered. The security angle would be of particular interest to me.

Just a suggestion of course ;-)
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I watch click on Saturday mornings (BBC news), now thats what i would like to see in the magazine, the show has a way of discussing so many different topics about PCs and their high tech cousins eg smartphones tablets etc, that it has me glued, almost like a sopie where i cannot wait for the next episode.

Most of my iphone apps are purchased, and i now follow various websites as a direct result of this show. they discuss what went down at the latest PC convention or what ever.... there is just so much that a PC magazine could offer.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Stuart wrote:
Mclaren wrote:you could do, but its still so nice to read something printed rather than my computer screen.
You could always use the G3AR printer recommendation to print out your required article for reading.

ha ha ha ha ha....oh the lighter side.....thanks Stu....i needed a good laugh
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

well if you noticed the reviews icons at the top. If you click the PC one you will get PC hardware and game reviews. Tech is for all your non PC gadets etc. I will be doing lots of reviews on the site. This site is not just a side show for us. We plan to clone ourselves and spend 12 hours a day working on the mag and another 12 working on this site.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

KillerByte wrote:well if you noticed the reviews icons at the top. If you click the PC one you will get PC hardware and game reviews. Tech is for all your non PC gadets etc. I will be doing lots of reviews on the site. This site is not just a side show for us. We plan to clone ourselves and spend 12 hours a day working on the mag and another 12 working on this site.
WHAT :shock: :shock: :shock: ...YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY CLONED YOURSELVES......SHOCKING ANDTOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. :mrgreen:
jee

Post by jee »

You know, one of the articles (the kind theats now missing) that sticks in my head the most is the little half page article on removing the pop up bubbles from xp.....that is kinda what i would like to see back (in addition to more of none gaming based hardware reviews).

Some cool registry hacks and some articles on using some of the software that is on your cover disc.
+10
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Mclaren wrote:
KillerByte wrote:well if you noticed the reviews icons at the top. If you click the PC one you will get PC hardware and game reviews. Tech is for all your non PC gadets etc. I will be doing lots of reviews on the site. This site is not just a side show for us. We plan to clone ourselves and spend 12 hours a day working on the mag and another 12 working on this site.
WHAT :shock: :shock: :shock: ...YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY CLONED YOURSELVES......SHOCKING ANDTOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. :mrgreen:
Brett and I spent the last few weeks perfecting the technology. We started off cloning a kitten and then Brett. I believe we should have stopped at the kitten.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KillerByte wrote:
Mclaren wrote:
Brett and I spent the last few weeks perfecting the technology. We started off cloning a kitten and then Brett. I believe we should have stopped at the kitten.
Since you didn't, for the sake of all that is good and holy, please stop now!
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Sadly this revelation comes in teh wake of us cloning Sarah Palin. Some decisions should never be made.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

jee wrote:oh and i hope we can get some Mac stuff ... i fell in love... and want loads of information :D purty please?
:o

I thought I felt the presence of a new soul in the cult... :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

ryanrich wrote:
jee wrote:oh and i hope we can get some Mac stuff ... i fell in love... and want loads of information :D purty please?
:o

I thought I felt the presence of a new soul in the cult... :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Before this thread peters I just want to say thank you for all the valuable input. I sometimes think I am going mad when I raise some of these issues, especially a more novice title like Computer Active.

I know the gaming has been huge of late, it's also a side-effect of relying more on UK content while we worked on the website. Now that we have a place for games and cutting edge hardware reviews and all the other bits that don't live long on paper things will be changing. It's not easy and PCFs age and standing are against me but I am hoping to take the monolith forward before it fades into obscurity. While Michael wasn't far off in saying our readership isn't shrinking, the reality is that it isn't growing and its only a matter of time before internet becomes accessible here and the poop hits the fan.

There is an awesome game-plan for the future but for now rest assured there will be more of what most of you are asking for from August print issue onwards.

Thanks again
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I just wish I could find more content like what Ars used to post and what beyond3d used to have. In depth articles about the architecture in processors and GPU's, I know its difficult because AMD, Intel and Nvidia wont tell you the details but it still makes for good reading. Its not something that I expect PCF to have just a lamenting on my side since everyone else is doing it.

/Follow this url for the Ars part: http://arstechnica.com/paedia/index.html
/Guru3D article: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/55
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.