Sandybridge replaces 1155 board?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Sandybridge replaces 1155 board?

Post by StarBound »

Feb 2011 issue, page 26:

"The death of the LGA1155 socket, its chipsets and the processors that it used will no doubt infuriate people who invested so much in the platform only to see it die a mere 18 months after its launch."

Isn't that suppose to be the LGA1156? Or are you predicting the socket will also die after 18 months? Except for the recent stop order for the sata port fix :P
And on that note what does LGA stand for?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Slimshaedy

Re: Sandybridge replaces 1155 board?

Post by Slimshaedy »

Land grid array. And yes I'd be pissed off! Iv bought my cpu and mobo,not the ram yet. But why is it dying off so soon? I haven't even started using my sandy bridge and its on its way out? WTF
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

ya this doesn't make sense.... and +1 to what AMD has done.... least they thinking about thier consumers.... i am an intel fan through and through but AMD is better priced and getting there in regards to performance.... intel better pull thier socks up.....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I have just seen that error. Sorry for that, it seems to have slipped through the many checking procedures we have. It should be:

"The death of the LGA1156 socket, its chipsets and the processors that it used will no doubt infuriate people who invested so much in the platform only to see it die a mere 18 months after its launch."
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

i thort as much all good killerbyte! thanks for the correction.....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

thanks KB. your job sounds so tough yet so fun at the same time!
SIGH!! What a relief
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well the 1155 was the 1 month board :P

Mass Recall.
My Steam Screenshots

VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

Actually... Intel is not doing any recalls yet... They are instead gonna let those who experience the issue with the SATA ports bring their boards in to have the ports replaced as and when they fail... Stores in SA, however, have stopped selling boards and CPU's (why the CPU's, I don't know) until such time as the next range of boards (hopefully with this issue fixed) are released.
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

You miss understand Vince. The ports themselves don't die, its the silicon circuits that degrade inside the chipset itself.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

But only when you use the sata3 ports right? So if you plug your drives into the sata6 ports then you wont have the problem?
My Steam Screenshots

VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

Starbound.. That is right... You can actually use your SATA3 ports, but if you are going to use those drives alot, the ports will fail. They have not found any issues in the SATA6 ports yet...
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I'm using my board until prophecy gets the new boards. So mine is being recalled anyway... They replacing all the boards in batches in april-may
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

VinceThePrince wrote:Starbound.. That is right... You can actually use your SATA3 ports, but if you are going to use those drives alot, the ports will fail. They have not found any issues in the SATA6 ports yet...
i got confused there had to read that twice.... by sata3 u mean sata2 (3gbs) and by sata6 u mean sata 3 (6gbs)
so in otherwords sata 2 ports will become faulty but there are no problems with sata3 ports yet....?
is that right....?
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

The sata3gbps will degrade over time and eventually just stop working all together. The sata3 (6gbps) chip is fine
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

lol!!! Sorry... that was a serious typing fail...

You are right Jelly... Your Sata 2 (3gbs) ports will degrade and fail, where as your Sata 3 (6gbs) ports should be fine as they haven't found any issues with those ports yet...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Slimshaedy wrote:Land grid array. And yes I'd be pissed off! Iv bought my cpu and mobo,not the ram yet. But why is it dying off so soon? I haven't even started using my sandy bridge and its on its way out? WTF
Because Intel are bored and want us to spend money on a new mobo.