Update the Mag!!!!!

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
maxtrouble

Update the Mag!!!!!

Post by maxtrouble »

Why is the magazine so slow on technology? The Ares and alienware laptop was reviewed 2 months ago by NAG.
Last edited by Anakha56 on 26 Sep 2010, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Taken the ffs out not constructive...
UrBaN

Re: Update the Mag!!!!!

Post by UrBaN »

Well you see, there is a small difference between the two.

At NAG, the robots scour the web for the latest and greatest; then extract, collate, condense and print that data in a shoddy excuse for a magazine. This then gets purchased, opened and read by their shoddy excuses for consumers, who thusly, in an attempt to create an effect, rush to their nearest interwebs to post poorly written, grammatically incorrect statements, delineating how "superior" their shoddy, inadequate and rather uninspiring magazine is.

PCFormat, on the other hand, has dedicated, sentient staff, who enjoy imbuing mirth, relevance and typos into their magazine. This makes for a rather more enjoyable, if slightly untimely, reading experience.

Furthermore, you sir, are a troll.

Good day!
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UrBaN wrote:Furthermore, I sir, am a troll.
Fixed for ya.

;)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

UrBaN wrote:Well you see, there is a small difference between the two.

At NAG, the robots scour the web for the latest and greatest; then extract, collate, condense and print that data in a shoddy excuse for a magazine. This then gets purchased, opened and read by their shoddy excuses for consumers, who thusly, in an attempt to create an effect, rush to their nearest interwebs to post poorly written, grammatically incorrect statements, delineating how "superior" their shoddy, inadequate and rather uninspiring magazine is.

PCFormat, on the other hand, has dedicated, sentient staff, who enjoy imbuing mirth, relevance and typos into their magazine. This makes for a rather more enjoyable, if slightly untimely, reading experience.

Good day!
So what you're saying, is that you'll wait 2 hours for a steak at one restaurant, or 20 minutes for the same steak at another restaurant. Because it has nice garnish, or something?

Let's not forget. A while back (well, probably a long while since I haven't bothered to buy one in ages) the magazine was LITTERED with errors, yet it still had the same "outdated" information. I have no idea if this situation has changed though, let's hope it did.

(And no, I'm not some grammatical motherflipping genius, nor am I pretending to be one, like some people)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I'm not pretending, I invented grammar school, mofo!

Actually, I just have some loyalty to this mag because it's got a great team of people behind it.

If you look above, I even made a dig at the typos. :)
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:Well you see, there is a small difference between the two.

Good day!
Well, if you're trolling, nice work.

If not, I'll take the bait and respond.

I don't think that what you've said above is fair, at all. NAG's hardware reviews are just fine, and some of them are written by Neo, who's a hardware genius.

Furthermore, I have to agree with Bertus - while PCFormat is a great mag, the amount of spelling and grammar issues in the mag is absolutely unacceptable, and this is actually what got me to the point of not buying it anymore.

(It's just become clear to me that you are, in fact, trolling. But I've typed all of this out already. *posting anyway*)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Damn! and I thought everyone bought the mag for the cover models. :?
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Well I did. When they started removing the cover models it just didn't have the same feel. It was always a trademark of PCF SA.

I buy PCF once a semester now maybe.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Well, my post wasn't initially intended to be a troll at all, but I do see how it can be taken that way. Sorry guys.

I don't enjoy NAG very much at all, but I've not read it recently so I guess that's not fair. I do prefer PCF as mag, errors and all; but I'm sure a lot of good, hard work does go into NAG.

Dae - you're writing for NAG so your opinion is hardly one that's worth much in this regard. However, you are a well respected forumite here and in various other places, and you're a good guy, so your opinion is still relevant due to that. As stated above, my post was probably unfair.

Also,to the OP, good troll :P I totally took the bait.
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bladerunner wrote:Well I did. When they started removing the cover models it just didn't have the same feel. It was always a trademark of PCF SA.
Sheesh, get over it already and buy FHM.
Prime

Post by Prime »

*sigh* maybe i should put a sarcasm disclaimer in my sig
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Stuart wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:Well I did. When they started removing the cover models it just didn't have the same feel. It was always a trademark of PCF SA.
Sheesh, get over it already and buy FHM.
Don't be ridiculous. FHM and GQ are filled with ads not sexy supermodels.

I miss the magazine's style from back in the day when Tamsin (did I spell that right?) was the editor, that's all.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Tasmini I believe it was P
to ápeiro anima
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:Dae - you're writing for NAG so your opinion is hardly one that's worth much in this regard. However, you are a well respected forumite here and in various other places, and you're a good guy, so your opinion is still relevant due to that. As stated above, my post was probably unfair.
I can see how someone would think I'm biased, but to tell you the truth, I write/mod for NAG because it gives me the chance to mod high-end stuff for free and get paid to do it. I don't read the NAG (or the PCF for that matter). They see value in my work, and I see value in the opportunity, so it's mutually beneficial. I don't have any particular love for NAG, I honestly just enjoy the articles. I remember sitting at a car wash about 6 months ago with a NAG and I can clearly remember thinking "Wow, I'm really impressed with by these articles". They were just good pieces of writing, which I appreciate :)

But yeah, I guess my current relationship with the magazine renders my opinion void. To be fair, I wrote for PCF for about 18 months as well, and those articles were actually published in the magazine itself, unlike the writing I do for NAG.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hi all. Before this spirals out of control please allow me to weigh-in with some inside info.

Regarding the Alienware we were indeed a month late (not two as far as I know) because we only got the laptop a month after NAG. I went to war with Dell's PR because it was a day before going to print that I saw NAG's Alienware cover and had to cancel my own - we were told we had it first and exclusively. There was more to the story revolving around rAge and Dell's involvement but it's not really pertinent and I have been promised it won't happen again.

Just for the record we have been pulling the Alienware reviews from our purchased content for ages now because the official launch of the brand locally is on 1 October at rAge. We could have had the same notebook reviewed months ago if cohn&wolfe PR had done its job.

The Ares was a similar story; we can only review what the vendors send us and Asus opted for the exposure in a multiplatform gaming magazine over a dedicated PC title - it happens, sometimes NAG scoop us and sometimes we scoop them. They do a fine publication but one that is pitched to a significantly different audience despite appearances.

Either way, this all sounds like a load of excuses but it's all I can offer till I am ungagged :mrgreen: I would beg only for you patience as there are massive wheels turning at PCF HQ and all of us are hard at work evolving the content delivery system to curb exactly what maxtrouble is talking about. With internet penetration picking up the way it is, NAG are the least of our concerns as I am sure we are the last of theirs. Please accept our sincerest apologies for being late, we really do try out best but it's not exactly the biggest market locally so things get complicated.

Note to grammar nazis, it was my bachelor's this weekend so forgive me if I am illiterate :P
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Nab wrote: Note to grammar nazis, it was my bachelor's this weekend so forgive me if I am illiterate :P
OT

Congratz! :D :mrgreen:

/OT
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

@Nab - I understand completely.

Now - will you be at rAge and what specials can we expect?

And congratulations! That is wonderful news
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

We will not be exhibiting this year Tribbs, but we will be skulking about between the isles.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ah ha. So it will be a game of "Spot the PCFer" :D
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Tribble wrote:Ah ha. So it will be a game of "Spot the PCFer" :D
If you can. We tend to live in the shadows.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well I will be there on Sunday - so I am sure you will not be :lol: Most people relax on Sundays
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Post by Drakonis »

KillerByte wrote:
Should try living in the shadows in Modern Warfare 2 some time KB. Actually, don't. If you do then I won't be able to use you as a moving target or roving distraction.
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Drakonis wrote:
KillerByte wrote:
Should try living in the shadows in Modern Warfare 2 some time KB. Actually, don't. If you do then I won't be able to use you as a moving target or roving distraction.

Kekeke, camper.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
spjt07

Post by spjt07 »

I don't know where to post this so I will post it here.
Why does it take so long for the pcformat website to be updated. I always read about the issue on the site before buying it so that I know what it is that I am buying. Yet every single time nobody updates it promptly.
I tried asking on facebook but as predicted nobody responds. Please could a staff member or somebody get back to me.