New Project - "The Return" (Update 05/07)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Samaya

Re: New Project - "The Return" (First Post, load of pics)

Post by Samaya »

I am so glad I have someone to "compete" with again - :cry: - it was getting lonely in the modding section...
:mrgreen: j/k

It is looking awesome man. Like the case and I am very glad you have started modding again.

SOOOOOOO.....

Are you planning any other alterations to the case besides the painting and making it look good? :mrgreen:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahahah, thanks dude :D

"making it look good" covers 90% of modding :P So no, I'm not doing much more than that. It's all getting water cooled, so I've got to build that in there. I'm considering mounting that VFD display of mine into this case as well, but I'll see how I feel later :)

A new update should be here soon :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Hey Dae, any updates yet?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, I do have an update, but I just haven't had the time to get it written up. I'm so busy this week :( I'll see if I can get some of it done tonight :(
Animal

New Project - "The Return" (First Post, load of pics)

Post by Animal »

Thanks dude. Saw the update on your site. Looking good man, looking good!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks man :D

The best I can do for you now is show you this :P

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/Starts saving up for 2 things. 1: A awesome case for DJV to mod. 2: To pay him for his hard work.
//subscribes to thread...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahahha :D Thanks dude :D
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I just saw something on your mod I need to know about.

When you countersink the holes for the screws, do you set your drill speed to fast or slow?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Pretty sure it's on the slowest setting. I'll check for you next time I'm in there :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Alrighty, update time! I haven't worked on this mod in about 2 weeks actually, been crazy busy :( but I took all the shots while I was working on it before and now I'm posting the update :D

Let me start this update just by saying that I'm sorry about how my photos are cut off on the side. This is the only forum I post my updates to that has such tight image restrictions. I should chat to Ron about that actually. These are all 700px wide and they're still getting clipped :(

One of the things I've always been really iffy about is cable management. I hate it when cables aren't done well in a machine. So, what I decided to do was make some panels that would fit into the side panel of the case, and on these panels, I'll fit some cable management clips. Let's explain this in pictures. Some alu for the first panel:

Three panels cut out. These are rough cuts. They still needed some more cut out, and also some filing/sanding:

Cutting done. Next step is cutting/filing:

Cutting and filing done:

Then I needed to bend these little wings up so that I could use that to screw these panels into the side panel of the case. The big piece ended up being a problem. Either I measured wrong, or I bent the parts wrong, but it ended up being about 1mm too wide to fit, so I ended up just cutting off the wings, and that had no negative effects on the panel's stability, so no loss!

And here the panels are, more or less finished, for now. The need to still be sanded down and painted, and holes made for the cable management goodies, but that all happens later:

This is what they look like fitted:

And this is a quick illustration of how they'll actually work. This is a very rough idea, but use your imagination :)

Then, let me introduce the first cooling component in this build - the Black Ice Stealth. It's a 3x120mm raddy, and dead sexy:

Now, because of the nature of this case, it obviously has no place that's made for a radiator to fit. So I had to make something like that. I started off by just using a piece of scrap alu, measuring a few distances, bending it, and making sure that I had my measurements 100% right, because the next thing I was going to do had no room for error :P So here's the raddy and the alu:

I decided to make up two small brackets that would fit to the case's motherboard tray, and then that would hold up the raddy. So here I had them marked up:

Drilling the holes:

Thought I'd show you the drill press I use. Definitely one of the best investments I ever made. Anyway, here were the two pieces ready for some fun:

At this point, I messed up the one by filing literally ONE stroke too many. My own OCD stops me from saying "Eh, I'll use it anyway", so I had to remake it. Here's the new one drawn up and ready:

Here I've cut them out, and now it's all down to filing/sanding:

Lots of filing, lots of sanding:

Aaaaaaand, bent!

On the raddy. Excuse the fans. These aren't going to be in the final build. They're just there to illustrate:

And then I fitted it into the case:

All that needs now is one bracket on the other side of the raddy to support it. That'll probably get mounted on the inside of the top cover panel. I'm really happy with how it all came out, though :)

In order to move on, I needed to make the "roof" of the area where the motherboard and stuff sit. So, here I've got it drawn up and ready for the first cut:

Cut out. Still rough:

Filed:

Now here's where I had to get stuck into chopping away at the case again. The case has some or other bracket near the top. I still don't know what it's for:

All I know is that when I put the panel in, the bracket is in my way:

So I cut it out, and now this panel fits perfectly :)

The distance between the fans on the raddy and the panel is also perfect:

That's basically it for now. I started countersinking the holes for this, but that means nothing now until I can show you guys what it looks like mounted :P

Hope you're liking what I'm doing :) I'm enjoying building it :) I'll most probably be bale to start working on this again tomorrow or the day after. I only have a couple of hours a day, though, so I should only have something for you guys next week again :)
Slimshaedy

Re: New Project - "The Return" (Update 05/07)

Post by Slimshaedy »

Wow looking awesome DAE!!!
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Agreed - and again - great photos
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I wish I had OCD...

Looks awesome man!!!
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Updates??